• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Excellent Alkin W31 Review by Airgun Advisor

Anyone considering a high quality compressor should watch this video by Airgun Advisor. The three compressor topics that seem to be discussed on this forum more than any others are reliability, availibility of parts and service, and value for the cost. This video on the W31 does a great job of answering these questions and providing useful answers to potential buyers. Airgun Advisor doesn't get as many views as paid media influencers but I find his videos to be informative, unbiased, and high quality presentations.

https://youtu.be/wYagB7f6GGY

There are a couple of points in the video that I'd like to comment upon. Unless a user is using his/her compressor in a commercial business, the maintenances at 1,000 and 4,000 run hours will never be reached. It would take an individual 5,000 tank top offs at 10 minutes each before reaching the 1,000 hour mark. That is the time it takes a W31 to top off a large 9 liter tank from 3K to 4.5K psi. Second, he is very conservatiove regarding the cost of refills at a dive shop or paintball shop at $7 per trip. Most places charge $10 or more. This doesn't even consider the annual visual inspection fees, 5 year hydro test expense, car gasoline expense, and the value of time spent traveling and waiting for refills A potential buyer should also factor in consideration that in 10 years a used Alkin will have an excellent resale value whereas most inexpensive compressors will be replaced several times over with no resale value.

The first two are excellent points and the Alkin seems like a top notch lifetime compressor. I'll differ with you a bit on the last part. Upfront cost is obviously much higher than that of the inexpensive compressors and that is probably a relevant factor for many. Also, future value of anything used is hard to determine specifically and one would also have to consider shipping such a large/heavy used item unless a local buyer could be found.

The first two are excellent points and the Alkin seems like a top notch lifetime compressor. I'll differ with you a bit on the last part. Upfront cost is obviously much higher than that of the inexpensive compressors and that is probably a relevant factor for many. Also, future value of anything used is hard to determine specifically and one would also have to consider shipping such a large/heavy used item unless a local buyer could be found.

My last point is based upon 20 years of experience owning and comparing values of many brands of high pressure compressors. They fascinate me and I pay attention as new models appear on the scene.

Ask Birgragu about his purchase of a 15 year old Alkin W31. I purchased a 20 plus year old Bauer Utilus for $2500, used it for 3 years and sold it for $2500. My W31 is the closest comparable compressor I could find after regretting the Bauer sale.

Some people are better than others at finding values and as a seller. Purchasing value, good maintenance practices, and patience selling certain higher cost items minimizes the depreciation loss. Your MCH-6 will pay dividends if you ever wanted to or decided to sell it. As you have said on this forum "your mileage may vary".

My last point is based upon 20 years of experience owning and comparing values of many brands of high pressure compressors. They fascinate me for unexplainable reasons.

Ask Birgragu about his purchase of a 15 year old Alkin W31. I purchased a 20 plus year old Bauer Utilus for $2500, used it for 3 years and sold it for $2500. My W31 is the closest comparable compressor I could find after regretting the Bauer sale.

Some people are better than others at finding values and as a seller. Finding value, good maintenance practices, and patience selling certain higher cost items minimizes the depreciation loss. Your MCH-6 will pay dividends if you ever wanted to or decided to sell it. As you have said on this forum "your mileage may vary".

Certainly nothing wrong with getting the Alkin first, and personal experience is a very good thing. Will everyone benefit from such a compressor? Probably not. Is it even possible for everyone to afford? Again, probably not. Is it a compressor that would be an excellent investment for someone who shoots a lot and stays in the hobby for a long time? Seems so. I don't know about "your mileage may vary" but I'd say it's all relative.

We definitely spend money on our airguns. And combined with scope and accessories it can easily surpass the price of a compressor such as this. I guess resale value is dependant on what the market will bear. There is definitely none for sale in the classifieds. If it has, it sold pretty quickly. I would assume based on the pricing on this forum the asking price would be 3k and up. Whether or not someone is willing to part with their money for a used Alkin is something we do know in two cases but at a lower price than 3k. I know if it was local if it was less than 3k (or 3k with features) I would most likely consider buying it.

Allen

My last point is based upon 20 years of experience owning and comparing values of many brands of high pressure compressors. They fascinate me for unexplainable reasons.

Some people are better than others at finding values and as a seller. Finding value, good maintenance practices, and patience selling certain higher cost items minimizes the depreciation loss. Your MCH-6 will pay dividends if you ever wanted to or decided to sell it. As you have said on this forum "your mileage may vary".

Certainly nothing wrong with getting the Alkin first, and personal experience is a very good thing. Will everyone benefit from such a compressor? Probably not. Is it even possible for everyone to afford? Again, probably not. Is it a compressor that would be an excellent investment for someone who shoots a lot and stays in the hobby for a long time? Seems so. I don't know about "your mileage may vary" but I'd say it's all relative.

If you shoot enough to even think about spending the $$$$ for an Alkin and are young enough to see the savings, then I say go for it!

However, if you are like many airgun shooters, the economics simply don't justify the price.

However, if I had the money, shot enough and was young enough to see the savings in $, time and enjoyment... I would probably think about buying one of these.

Happily for me, I am not in any of those camps, so I'll spend my money on other things and keep on hand pumping my Fortitude Gen 2 .177 and shooting the pests in my backyard.

JMHO... for those of you who can't stand it... flame away! LOL!

If you shoot enough to even think about spending the $$$$ for an Alkin and are young enough to see the savings, then I say go for it!

However, if you are like many airgun shooters, the economics simply don't justify the price.

However, if I had the money, shot enough and was young enough to see the savings in $, time and enjoyment... I would probably think about buying one of these.

Happily for me, I am not in any of those camps, so I'll spend my money on other things and keep on hand pumping my Fortitude Gen 2 .177 and shooting the pests in my backyard.

Hey, I resemble that remark! I too have a hand pump that I use (actually more than two) and fill at least twice a day. Weekends probably 4 to 5 times a day. 4 today so far.

Allen

Shouldn't be any flaming. It's just a point of view. That's the "all relative" aspect. The review linked was very good and the Alkin does seem to be an excellent compressor. But I don't believe that everyone can justify the "value" part of the question. The rest (quality/reliability/convenience) seems unquestionable.

Hey, I resemble that remark! I too have a hand pump that I use (actually more than two) and fill at least twice a day. Weekends probably 4 to 5 times a day. 4 today so far.

Allen

LOL! Since I only shoot when I have a pest target, unless I need to zero/check zero or have a new gun/scope to zero, I probably only have to pump up about once a week, give or take. My new DAR Gen2 .177 is due Tuesday and an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34 is going on it... so I might be pumping a little more! (chuckle)

I only have 2 hand pumps. Cheap Chinese "Vevor" branded that cost about $40 each. One is the *main* pump and the other is the *backup*. When I see another good deal on a good hand pump, I will probably buy another *backup* pump. (smile)

P.S.

I expect to be pumping/shooting a lot more as Summer comes to an end and the pests are scampering around trying to gather up enough food for the Winter. At least that's what happened last year.

Shouldn't be any flaming. It's just a point of view. That's the "all relative" aspect. The review linked was very good and the Alkin does seem to be an excellent compressor. But I don't believe that everyone can justify the "value" part of the question. The rest (quality/reliability/convenience) seems unquestionable.

I agree, and even that is simply JMHO. (chuckle)(grin)

My original post in this thread may be unintentionally misleading to some. It is not my belief nor intention to ask everyone in the market for a compressor to only consider an Alkin. That would make about as much sense as saying there is only one perfect PCP for everyone. I do like some compressor types and brands more than others. The amount of shooting an individual does, their budget, and their own priorities all factor into each person's choices.

Yong Hengs make sense if that fulfills someone's needs. I'm 72 and the Alkin will outlive me, but I like what it offers me in terms of value. I like stuff that works, is convenient, drama free, and holds it's value. But I don't think one size fits all and everyone should get one. Like your hand pump? Great. No issue with me. Alkins IMHO, offer excellent performance and value for the dollar. Bauers are twice as expensive, dollar for dollar, but aren't any better built for the job. If someone introduces a $1,500 compressor that will meet my criteria, I'd be first in line to endorse it.

In the past I've made posts praising the Coltri MCH-6, the Hill EC3000, and the Alpha Carette compressor. Different times, different tools, different choices. I'm not into debating the merits of 10 inexpensive this vs.1 expensive that. The video does a great job of explaining the quality of this particular product which I own and agree with.

My original post in this thread may be unintentionally misleading to some. It is not my belief nor intention to ask everyone in the market for a compressor to only consider an Alkin. That would make about as much sense as saying there is only one perfect PCP for everyone. I do like some compressor types and brands more than others. The amount of shooting an individual does, their budget, and their own priorities all factor into each person's choices.

Yong Hengs make sense if that fulfills someone's needs. I'm 72 and the Alkin will outlive me, but I like what it offers me in terms of value. I like stuff that works, is convenient, drama free, and holds it's value. But I don't think one size fits all and everyone should get one. Like your hand pump? Great. No issue with me. Alkins IMHO, offer excellent performance and value for the dollar. Bauers are twice as expensive, dollar for dollar, but aren't any better built for the job. If someone introduces a $1,500 compressor that will meet my criteria, I'd be first in line to endorse it.

In the past I've made posts praising the Coltri MCH-6, the Hill EC3000, and the Alpha Carette compressor. Different times, different tools, different choices. I'm not into debating the merits of 10 inexpensive this vs.1 expensive that. The video does a great job of explaining the quality of this particular product which I own and agree with.

In no way did I intend to denigrate your post or the review of the Alkin. Maybe I should have started with a thank you for posting the review as it does provide info that many avid air gunners can use. Nor did I mean to hijack your thread. My apologies if that was how my post(s) were interpreted.

Kerry

In no way did I intend to denigrate your post or the review of the Alkin. Maybe I should have started with a thank you for posting the review as it does provide info that many avid air gunners can use. Nor did I mean to hijack your thread. My apologies if that was how my post(s) were interpreted.

Kerry

No offense taken. My last post wasn't intended to refute anything you posted.

Kerry

No offense taken. My last post wasn't intended to refute anything you posted.

Thanks Steve!