• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Evanix MAX-ML .44 cal BullPup review

Today I'll focus on what I don't like about this Pup. 

I really don't like how slick the forearm is nor do I like the square feeling of it, also I'm not a fan of the silver sidepanels, 

So, of course I had to do something about it 
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I covered all those parts with Matte black vinyl, I added 3 weaver rails to the forearm so I can put a Magpul angled grip, a Bypod and any lights if needed. 

I like it much better like this. 

DSCF1439_zpsblrbdjfr.jpg

DSCF1440_zps7xbcbrlw.jpg

DSCF1441_zps9ns60wnt.jpg
 ==============================

I just got my order in of the .454 EPP/UG from Tom Buchanan aka IRONMULE, heard of Tom for years in the Big Bore airgun circles and he's a very respected caster, 
I've never had the need for .454s so this is the 1st time I'm using his sevices. 

Beautiful bullets 

DSCF1466_zpspszgcley.jpg

DSCF1467_zps5vhvykl0.jpg

Now that I've figured out the right ammo I can take the final accuracy testing and final Chrono strings. 

I should be able to complete the MAX-ML review by this weekend. ============================== 

OK, so today I wanted to show some groups, didn't want to shoot an all bunch than pick them so I put a fresh target face up and shot Four 5 shots groups at 30 and 50 yards with both the 141gr ,454 Roundball and the 155gr .454 EPP/UG. 

Groups could be better or could be worse, this is what I shot and the shooter can be blamed too I think 
happy.gif
happy.gif

The gun is zeroed at 20 yards so you can see the different POI that I'm getting at those distances, clearly you can see the lighter roundball not dropping as much at 50 yards,.....clear is too the markings left by the 2 rounds. 

Here's the ammo I was shooting 

DSCF1475_zpsoonkgelf.jpg

My 30 yards bench 

DSCF1476_zpswbtx8jfm.jpg

and my 50 yards bench 

DSCF1477_zpst8pycobm.jpg

DSCF1479_zpsobsh1bba.jpg

the target 

DSCF1480_zpssmluxtrw.jpg

DSCF1481_zpsyyszfnam.jpg

on the bench with writing and a Quarter for an Idea of the groups 

DSCF1482_zpsilgssorf.jpg

DSCF1484_zpsi41hfz1p.jpg

DSCF1483_zpsqbaxsmjf.jpg

DSCF1486_zpsjtzkotdo.jpg

DSCF1485_zpsn54ma6qq.jpg

It's cloudy now, but if it gets sunny I'll take the final Chrono numbers now that this Hammersring has brocken in nicely and than the review for the Evanix MAX-ML .45 will run into a conclusion ==============================

There again I guess it is like comparing apples to pears as the Evanix is a Bull Pup and the Sam Yangs are full size air guns. The Evanix looked fairly accurate at the ranges you tested it at and I do know that the Sam Yangs take quite a good sized moderator to tame them. Did you get rid of your Sam Yangs? I thought you had a couple of the big bores? Neil. 

That makes sense if the parts can be swapped out, shame makers make so many different models, it would be great to be able to swap parts between guns. I think we are spoiled for choice, just way too many air guns to choose from, I am not complaining, I love having such a wide array of guns to choose from. I just think about the very limited choices I had back home before I came to the USA.

Alright, 
now that I've found the right ammo for this Pup and I've shot it a lot, both in stock form and with the new Hammerspring she should have nicely settled down, 
.....so it's time to take the final strings. 

DSCF1488_zpsen8uhsyh.jpg

DSCF1487_zpsafdjthv0.jpg

Here we go : 

155gr EPP/UG .454 

710 ...173 FPE 

141gr Hornady RoundBall .454 

746 ....174 FPE 

This gun will eventually go to Will Piatt for a PowerTune, I like the string he got at 200 FPE for 4 shots. 

However I'm happy with how she is now and I don't really need to rush her to get tuned 
happy.gif
happy.gif

"NeilClague"Those are pretty impressive numbers Manny, maybe a bit of overkill for your hog hunts, especially when I know you have taken them down with smaller caliber guns, Neil.
Neil, 
this gun is mainly gonna be used for them walking thick jungle hunts where things happen quickly and maybe the precise Brain shot cannot be taken, she has enough caliber and power to be effective with a body shot too.

OK than, 
Had this gun for over a month now and put her through the paces so I'm ready to express my final conclusions. 

The gun is nice and compact at 29 inches, of course having no baffles she is quite loud as expected. 

balance is great, ergonomics are good, sidelever is butter smooth, magazine functioned perfectly the all time ( occasionally using the EPP/UG because of the sharp front band it sticks a bit when breeching a new round but with roundballs and round nosed bullets it never does that ) 

the adjustable ButtStock gives to the opportunity to make the gun to your comfort 

The trigger surprised me I was expecting it to be heavier, but it's perfect weight IMO for a powerful Big Bore and breaks nicely. 

The gun in stock form showed accuracy potential and good power at around 200 FPE but the factory hammerspring gave a fast decending string and the vertical stringing at POI wasn't accetable IMO, ....Will Piatt sent me a Hammerspring from Sam Yang guns and that alone changed the gun drastically, lost some power but gained a flat 5 shots string, a simple enlargement of the ports will bring this gun back over the 200 FPE mark and with a flat 4 shots string plus very respectable follow ups. 

She has already proven her worth in the hunting woods both by bagging a hog and showing how nicely she carries and handles. 

when I 1st started I was using .457 ammo but I figured out she prefers the .454 and both the 141gr Hornady roundball and the 155gr EPP/UG are very accurate. 

I few things I wasn't a fan of like the slick forehand section so I modded a bit , I added weaver rails to the forestock and a Magpul angled Grip, I ended up taking the sidepanels off. 

This is what the gun looks like now 

DSCF1490_zpsjygsxddn.jpg

DSCF1491_zpsosatnna3.jpg

By taking the sidepanels off I have a better spot to put the attachment for my single point sling 

DSCF1489_zps3uzsqbph.jpg

The gun carries fantastic in the new configuration, 

to get the right prospective bear in mind I'm 5'7" and 150-155 pounds 

DSCF1492_zpsbp29wk29.jpg

DSCF1493_zps7innoopk.jpg

DSCF1494_zpson7fgyva.jpg

DSCF1495_zpsckevtn3c.jpg