• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EDGun R3 Long and R5 Super Magnum

I want to clear something up on AGN regarding my opinion of EDguns in general. I think I’ve given the impression that I have something against EDGun or that I don’t like them. Fact is, I currently own three EDguns and like them all very much.

My .22 R3 Long is a laser beam shooting RD Monsters at 935 FPS, and I shot it in two events at EBR, the AFT and 50Y BR, plus I came in third at the first annual Western National Long Range Airgun Championships with it this past Spring.

My .25 R5 Super Magnum is my relatively new slug gun and shoots the NSA 26.8 grain HP DB at 1040 FPS very accurately. Two weekends ago I shot a 3/4 inch spinner at 75 yards in windy conditions 5 hits in a row. I plan to shoot this gun in competition at the RMAC small bore slug challenge.

And my .20 Lelya gen1 is a total bad ass little gun and I’ve taken ground squirrels with it at up to 70 yards. 

Yes, I had numerous problems with a .25 R5M Long that I had, and documented here on AGN (cocking, indexing, accuracy). All of the problems were eventually fixed, but with a lot of time and effort. The only thing I couldn’t get it to do was shoot the Heavies reliably and accurately. FYI, I also had a friend who is an awesome Airgun tuner look it over and he had the same opinion as me. 

So you can see, I have two EDguns that I shoot in competition. And I can shoot any gun I want to... I apologize if I offended some EDGun fans out there. It wasn’t my intention. I only wanted to document my trials and tribulations with the R5M. :) My bad if I ruffled any feathers. My posts were all 100% honest, but my wife says I lack a “brain to mouth filter”. 

Good on ya mate. :)

No gun is perfect every time and there are bumps along the way, even with the very best guns. One of the reasons I follow you here is because you tell the truth about a product, good or not as good. Since you get your hands on a lot of guns, lots of people want to hear what you have to say about certain pieces of equipment. I for one, trust what you say, having met you and getting to see who you are. 
And you are a heck of a shooter too. 
keep it honest. Keep it real 

Crusher

Aloha Ccut,

I really like your honesty and did not take any offense. I have 2 Edgun’s R5M long and a Leyla both in .25 and yes my Leyla has some indexing issues but not the R5M. Which is weird, but if you can get past the indexing issues every once in a while these guns are great. My wife tells me the same thing on having no filter but I grew up in an era where if I did something wrong I got my a$$ beat. Now days you spank your own child for doing something wrong and your a criminal. Just my .02 cents.

Aloha, 

Keone

For people who value the truth along with a little personality and attitude thrown in for good measure, there is no need to apologize for simply being yourself. You paid good money to be able to purchase a gun and therefore you are CERTAINLY entitled to your opinion about your own property.

For those who get upset when someones experience deviates from your own ... GET OVER IT! 

As Jack Nicholson so aptly put it while screaming at Tom Cruise ... "YOU WANT THE TRUTH? ... YOU WANT THE TRUTH? ... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

I swear, some people are just strange ... I tell 'em to have a nice day and they say "I have other plans!" They fill out their tax forms in Roman Numerals. They pay their electric bills in pennies. They read the dictionary upside down and look for hidden messages.

CCut, not to worry about ruffled feathers, you have helped alot of people on this forum including myself. Sometimes it helps to go through these different topics and try and find something where someone else is having the same problem that you are having. I needed more eye relief on my scope on my R5M and saw where you had posted a pic of a cantilevered mount you use on your Veteran and Vulcan and I ordered it ... should be here tomorrow.

The point is, your experiences are YOUR experiences ... not someone elses. If you wanna cram miniture marshmellows up your nose and sneeze them out, that's on you. If you feel like driving to work in reverse, go for it. Just be yourself while doing it.

😉 Shalom 😉

John

Reactions: sonny
I have an R5M Long .25

The material and the design of the gun is awesome, i prefer that instead of Impact because of the walnut and the simplicity 

The reg of the gun is absolutely accurate even after 5 days, the shroud is very quiet (300 cc volume), the cocking is very fast

But ! The index system needs a little work, most lubrication and a small shim between the oring and the index plate for smooth moving

Also i have spiriling problems, about the 30% of the shots so the Spanish distributor send me a new barrel, i check new and old barrel both and i saw that the old is very tight and the chamber and at the chock than the new one, also the new its tigth but less

We saw the insert of the old barrel and there is material of the pellet at the grooves, in fact what happened is, after a spiriling shot with the skirt damaged the next one took the left material and it was also flyer, the point is at 9 shots mag, the 6-7 were 1 hall and the other 2-3 around, probably the LW barrels are very sensitive at pellets

Shots 45 ft/lb the JSBs and 37 ft/lb the H&N Grizly, same settings
For those who said about hard cocking i have to say that the linkage is 1 to 1, means same travel the lever with the spring, dont confuse with the long travel of FX, Vulcan, try to cock a hatsan BT 65, or a Brocock, the angle of cocking an FX is triple than Edgun

If an FX barrel is 100% the Edgun is 80% for me, but you dont need a new reg, new gauges, new valve, new C3 oring, the .25 is 53 ft/lb out of the box
The Impact is a platform to play, the Edgun is just a gun to shoot 

I too appreciate the honesty not everyone has the same experiences I am falling in love with the R5 super magnum I have. No need to apologize for being honest about your own personal experiences we appreciate the contributions you bring to the forums and you have helped me to grow in knowledge in my favorite hobby Mike.

Thank you for being you CC.

Scott in NC :)

I would rather some one not have a filter, i my self don’t either. But I like to know and I like to tell, the way it is. Don’t need some bull poop story saying they shoot great, when many of them don’t. You and a few others posting about the R5M at the exact time I was looking at purchasing one, set me back a bit and I decided to wait a bit. I had a few questions I emailed Brain about and he seemed to get a little butt hurt about. Didn’t offer other options or seem interested in “ selling” one. I am sorry if I want something the way I want it. New should be perfect and the way I expect it to be. Seems as though that is not the same as some retailers think. I guess you should buy what they have, don’t ask questions and settle for what you get. Not my idea of what makes a satisfied customer. The search goes on, Mike THANK YOU and the others for your HONEST reports, that’s the way I think they should be, You can sugar coat a turd, but you still have a turd. ( not saying Edgun or the R5M is a turd, just that being aware there is an issue ) Again thanks ! Don’t think you need to make an apology, and please don’t “ sugar coat” any future replies either. I truly appreciate your honesty ! 

Uh oh, C’cut hurt some feelings! Man, I know you’re not going to stop telling the truth as you know it. Why would you? 

I like Eddys too but they need to step up in the magazine system department and with their triggers. If anyone including Ed doesn’t like hearing this, good. Hopefully the next crop of EDguns have recognizable improvements we can all admire and enjoy because constructive criticism works.

Reactions: sonny
Thanks everyone that posted on this. I've tried very hard to be straight up in all my posts, and its nice to see that a lot of you noticed that and appreciate it. Nothing will change, I'll always call it like I see it. And if I'm given guns or scopes to review, I'll be straight up on that also. Count on it... 

Mike

Good on ya mate. :)

No gun is perfect every time and there are bumps along the way, even with the very best guns. One of the reasons I follow you here is because you tell the truth about a product, good or not as good. Since you get your hands on a lot of guns, lots of people want to hear what you have to say about certain pieces of equipment. I for one, trust what you say, having met you and getting to see who you are. 
And you are a heck of a shooter too. 
keep it honest. Keep it real 

Crusher

Hi, I think the same. Greetings.