• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other EDgun Lelya 2.0 <> Taipan Veteran Compact

Sometimes we just have to experience the pros and cons for ourselves and satisfy that itch. The Vet I've had for awhile and the EDgun just came in. Initial thoughts, EDgun is lighter and shoulders better - more comfortable. Taipan moderator is quieter. Both shot with a pellet, subjectively sound the same in the loudness comparison. EDgun has more mechanical noise in operation. Accuracy comparison is yet to happen. Both are .22 caliber which is what I prefer to run right now. Next on the menu is getting rings and scope for the EDgun. Hope a few others here on AN might enjoy my venture through these two nice air rifles. It may be awhile before posting follow-ups because the $ is GONE.

DSC_0782.JPG

Last edited:
I also own both guns.
The Lelya 2, in .22 was my "first", PCP gun. Years later, I bought the Veteran Compact in .22.

You want the Lelya...quiet, buy one of their "BAT" suppressors. Not exactly inexpensive, slightly longer than the original, but it...works.

As for the guns. The Lelya is a little odd to cock, but I have an Air Arms Galahad, so I'm used to, odd cocking guns. But...I just don't care for the "rear" cocking arm of the Veteran. I have a couple of guns with the rear position, just don't care for them. I've sorta gotten used to them, it it doesn't mean I have to like them.
The Veterans trigger is a little better than the Lelya's, though the Lelya's trigger isn't "that" bad. In my "short, range", the guns are pretty equal accuracy wise. I think that most of the better quality guns, built in the last few years, and pretty good accuracy wise. With the BAT suppressor on the Lelya, it's a...lot quieter that the Veteran with the original shroud/suppressor on it.
Note that the Lelya IS...a bit louder in the action (ear) during the "shot".

I've had zero problems with either gun.
The Lelya is about 4 years old now. I think the Veteran is around a year and a half, maybe a little more.

Lelya 2
1713400472542.jpeg

Taipan Veteran Compact. Has a different sight on it now. I put the cocking lever back on the factory side also.
1713400526352.jpeg

Mike

Last edited:
Well, I double fired slugs into my prophet II so that freed up a scope for the Lelya 2.0 this weekend. MikeVV has it summed up, and seems I'm repeating what already is known about these two airguns on AN forum. I find the Taipan cleaner mechanically and there is more plastic in the EDgun. Both are equally quiet with their OEM moderators (subjective). The Lelya is more appealing to me in design. Actually I really like them both and that includes their differences (good or bad). Don't have the scope dialed in, but as-is straight off the prophet, hitting a big old frying pan hanging on a cattle fence in the backyard. Hey, I like that for a start! Busy Memorial Day weekend so dialing in will have to wait. Have a good Memorial Day!

DSC_0842.JPG

Last edited:
Loved the Lelya except for the cocking. The noise of trying to cock it quietly spooked more than a few ground squirrels 🫤 The “sproing” noise of the cocking handle recoil when not “cocked properly” also spooked a few. The sound of ground squirrel laughter at the sproing was pretty bad, too. The BAT was a lot quieter than the standard moderator.

41E877DA-4EF7-4002-921C-2975D05B9539.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ChickenDumpling
Loved the Lelya except for the cocking. The noise of trying to cock it quietly spooked more than a few ground squirrels 🫤 The “sproing” noise of the cocking handle recoil when not “cocked properly” also spooked a few. The sound of ground squirrel laughter at the sproing was pretty bad, too. The BAT was a lot quieter than the standard moderator.

View attachment 467997
Watched some video on Youtube where some fellow was out show boating his Lelya. If my recall is right, he cocks the Lelya back and all the critters fly off. Yes, he was purposely pointing out just how much noise the mechanism makes. What is the story behind your stock - I don't recall seeing that style? I would certainly give that stock a try...NICE.

What is the story behind your stock - I don't recall seeing that style? I would certainly give that stock a try...NICE.
It’s the synthetic black version of the R5/RM stock. It’s a drop-in fit except for the fore-end section that needs to be shortened. The “stippling” on the fore-end and grip was done with a battery powered soldering tool with the tip filed to a trocar point. The paint is FDE Brownell AlumaHyde2. I can PM you pics of the process, if you’re interested..fun project. 😁

Reactions: ChickenDumpling
be gentle with the cocking levers of the LELYA there are springs inside that are almost impossible to find in the market . and another important detail , do not hold the levers closed with your hands while shooting ,also do not put slugs in the magazine and tilt the riffle upwards they will fell in the guns action and might cause damage