EDgun is awarded a US Patent

IMG_6398.1628282471.JPG

For those who don't know, it was Ed who popularized the PCP bullpup, after his famous R2.5 every manufacture scrambled to make their own bullpup version. At the time no one had really seen a 150 yard capable PCP bullpup, and the Edgun made its way onto a lot of YouTube channels. The story of Ed is pretty crazy, betrayal, heartbreak, and purity of will have built his company. One day he may tell it, but today is about congratulating the achievement of being issued a US Patent only a few hours ago. This has been a dog fight as the USPO likes to say no first. Thanks to everyone who had supported Edgun through the years, and once again congrats to Ed and his team for this achievement 

Brian

I don't really care what country of origin they are from but how does this benefit the consumer? Copyrights generally give sole propriety to one entity making for zero competition on whatever it is. This pretty much always translates into higher consumer pricing. It also limits the improvements and cost saving measures on the object to the abilities, desires and resources of that one company.

Great for companies, patent lawyers and government employees but I don't see it as a home run for consumers.

Real nice guy, company and gun etc. I hope he continues to do well.

Autin870

Patents are a win for the consumer because complex products can be made. When a lot of money is invested in development it's a big risk. Particularly if you take the time to make the end result simpler to manufacture and maintain. It actually takes more effort to make something simple. The challenge is that the more time you spend making something simple the easier it is to copy and you risk not recovering your development money. The patent protects the developer for a limited period of time so that they can recover their investment. The time limit in patents is there so that the consumer can have the benefit of lower prices after the developer recovered their investment.

Edgun did a fantastic job of developing this valve and I'm sure it was a sizeable investment just in the development, saying nothing about the $20K it proably cost to patent and the $50K he'll need to set aside to defend it. Looking at the design and having a gun in my hands, I have no doubt that they took extra time to refine the design for manufacturability and reliability. You can see that in the differences between the patent drawings and the actual gun. 

Without patent protection, it's hard to justify $100k in development.

Congratulations to Edgun for getting the patent and congratulations to us for having such a great gun to play with. 

Sergey

Autin870

Patents are a win for the consumer because complex products can be made. When a lot of money is invested in development it's a big risk. Particularly if you take the time to make the end result simpler to manufacture and maintain. It actually takes more effort to make something simple. The challenge is that the more time you spend making something simple the easier it is to copy and you risk not recovering your development money. The patent protects the developer for a limited period of time so that they can recover their investment. The time limit in patents is there so that the consumer can have the benefit of lower prices after the developer recovered their investment.

Edgun did a fantastic job of developing this valve and I'm sure it was a sizeable investment just in the development, saying nothing about the $20K it proably cost to patent and the $50K he'll need to set aside to defend it. Looking at the design and having a gun in my hands, I have no doubt that they took extra time to refine the design for manufacturability and reliability. You can see that in the differences between the patent drawings and the actual gun. 

Congratulations to Edgun for getting the patent and congratulations to us for having such a great gun to play with. 

Sergey

Well said Sergey 👍

Autin870

Sergey

If anyone who spends time and money developing a new concept can't *at least* recoup that investment in time and money, and YES, make some profit from it. Then development either ceases or becomes a government owned entity and real development stops. I know I am on the edge of breaking the rules of AGN, so I won't say anything more.