• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EBR's American Field Targets!

Now that EBR 2016 is over, I wanted to share pictures of the new American Field Targets that were used, and some info on them.

First, they are HUGE!

A couple styles measured in over 24" tall! These are all made in 3/16" steel, however I used 3/16" AR plate for the faceplates and paddles to make them shed the big hits without worry. I did most of my testing with a Benjamin 392, and a Ruger 10/22. 22LR's left no visible marking or dings, with fresh paint you'd never know it had been shot. AOA was very helpful in working with me with testing, handling much of the range testing themselves. Would have been nice if they just sent a large variety of guns to me to test with, but it worked out regardless :)

I was able to set the targets to fall with 4 pumps from the 392(At about 15 yards) , and still function without error when I switched to the .22LR at the same range! (Although for safety I do not recommend such close range with a .22LR, this was for testing purposes only!)

Heres a few of the mechanisms, along side a Gamo mechanism for size comparison.

IMG_0033-600x450.jpg

The group of EBR mechanisms all ready to ship

IMG_0040-600x450.jpg

Lots of steel here, Total weight exceeded 700lbs!

IMG_0042-600x450.jpg

IMG_0041-600x450.jpg

These faceplates are all painted with CNC cut stencils, just like I use for my normal sized FT's and resettables. No artistic abilities required, A few colors of spraypaint and some drying time is all thats needed to make even the most shot up faceplate look original again. 

IMG_0029-600x450.jpg

The Elks were probably my favorite "new" style I had to design for the EBR. Although those huge Gators are pretty neat
shocked.gif

IMG_00392-450x600.jpg

Thanks guys,

Too bad I couldn't be there, really would have liked to atleast see it! Im stuck waiting for some video footage to pop up now I guess.

I would assume .30cal was probably what the majority of shooters used? I talked to Larry P this evening and he said most shooters weren't really prepared for it, (i.e buckets, shooting sticks, etc.) I imagine most probably came for the benchrest anyway, I imagine next year will be a little different.

On a side note, Larry mentioned they had test shot one of the targets with a .45 Bushbuck (!). 500fpe ish, and all that was messed up was the paint. Who knows, maybe Big bore FT is next? :D

If anyone here doesn't know Binford or his work, he is the power behind http://steelplinkers.com (If you don't ask his wife, that is :) ) I can tell you first hand that his targets, whether they are field targets or some of the other variety he makes, make other manufacturer targets look like aluminum foil. If you want some targets that will hold up to your .25, .30, etc, all the way up to PB stuff, check out his work. I have a couple that I pummel with my .25, they react but aren't marked.

Good job on the EBR targets Binford!