• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dr. Robert D. Beeman's estate auction of historic air rifles and pistols

The late Dr. Robert D. Beeman who founded Beeman Air Rifles was known to have an extensive collection of historically significant air rifles. Rock Island Auction Company in Illinois is auctioning some of his collection in their August, 2023 auction. Included in his collection are two Giradoni precharged air rifles similar to the one made famous in the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Anyone interested in viewing the air rifles and pistols from the Beeman estate can see them at this site. The auction will take place from August 25-27. I have no affiliation with RIA and post this for anyone who might be interested to check out the collection.

1691530715400.png

Last edited:
Looking at the Girardoni air guns.... didn't those come with an airpump or something? Probably something that you wont be able to find, so firing them may be difficult if not impossible due to no air. Or am I missing something?
Back then it was probably a billows/pump with leather seals. Something could easily be made to do the job. I might fire it once but that's all. I think that I read that it took hours to fill it up. Supposedly it was the quiet killing power of the gun that made the tribes yield to strangers traveling though their land.

The late Dr. Robert D. Beeman who founded Beeman Air Rifles was known to have an extensive collection of historically significant air rifles. Rock Island Auction Company in Illinois is auctioning some of his collection in their August, 2023 auction. Included in his collection are two Giradoni precharged air rifles similar to the one used in the Lewis and Clark Expidition. Anyone interested in viewing the air rifles and pistols from the Beeman estate can see them at this site. The auction will take place from August 25-27. I have no affiliation with RIA and post this for anyone who might be interested to check out the collection.

View attachment 379123
Wowza

Back then it was probably a billows/pump with leather seals. Something could easily be made to do the job. I might fire it once but that's all. I think that I read that it took hours to fill it up. Supposedly it was the quiet killing power of the gun that made the tribes yield to strangers traveling though their land.
They had a hand pump and three cylinders of air. Excellent video.

This stuff belongs in a museum, not locked up in someone's safe.
The NRA museum in Virginia would be about the only place that would make sense. An air gun section might draw curious onlookers. A dedicated air gun museum wouldn't have many exhibits or draw enough visitors to stay in business. If you check out the past auctions section of Rock Island Auction Company, most of the historically significant rifles and pistols move from one wealthy private collector to another.

Where is the gun Dr. Beeman used to think was the Louis and Clark rifle? The one he talked about in his Airgun Digest. He claimed a different gun was “the one”at that time. Made in Philadelphia?
Nobody really knows 100% which gun it was. Evidently the current rifle is IT. Evidently.
The Lewis and Clark gun is at West Point. He donated it back to the gov't after it's provenance was proven. There is another one on display in the National Firearms Museum in Virginia.

The Lewis and Clark gun is at West Point. He donated it back to the gov't after it's provenance was proven. There is another one on display in the National Firearms Museum in Virginia.
Would the real L and C rifle please stand up?
My understanding is it's at the Army War College in Carlisle, Pa. Except when it's loaned out. And then returns to Carlisle

And where is the imposter Dr Beeman wrote about? P. 20 of Air Gun Digest. The Luken gun made in Philadelphia.
Interestingly, Beeman does make mention of a butt reservoir pneumatic (the Girandoni) on P. 21 but not in relation to L. and C.!

Last edited: