• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Don't wanna toot my own horn!

But I'm gonna anyway! 😜

66 yards off hand with the RAW .30
Beautiful day to be in the woods of Michigan!
IMG_20230305_120436.jpg
IMG_20230305_114420.jpg

What does a .30 cal do to a squirrels head? I'm surprised it's still attached. I remember I once took a 17hmr squirrel hunting, way too powerful. I only ever shot one with it and decided to move back to a .22 lr. I would imagine a .30 would be about the same right?
Wayyyy different velocity

Reactions: ChuckHunter
What does a .30 cal do to a squirrels head? I'm surprised it's still attached. I remember I once took a 17hmr squirrel hunting, way too powerful. I only ever shot one with it and decided to move back to a .22 lr. I would imagine a .30 would be about the same right?
I've done bodyshots on Fox Squirrel with my Bulldog .357, and you would think it was shot with a just .22cal PCP.

I know velocity is the biggest factor here but I just imagined all the fpe that a .30 carries would possibly do something similar.
🤔correct me if im wrong; but doesn't velocity play a major/key role while one is factoring out fpe?
*aaand I read that wrong🤣🤦‍♂️
I think your not realizing how much difference there is in airgun velocities vs pb?

Reactions: ChuckHunter
🤔correct me if im wrong; but doesn't velocity play a major/key role while one is factoring out fpe?
*aaand I read that wrong🤣🤦‍♂️
I think your not realizing how much difference there is in airgun velocities vs pb?
No, I get it. .17 is moving at about 2550 at the muzzle. This means 245 fpe that a 17 grain at the muzzle and about half that at 50 yards. I just figured a .30 delivering 65 fpe at 50 yards would be pretty destructive given the large diameter. Idk, I guess I might just be overestimating what the .30 does.

No, I get it. .17 is moving at about 2550 at the muzzle. This means 245 fpe that a 17 grain at the muzzle and about half that at 50 yards. I just figured a .30 delivering 65 fpe at 50 yards would be pretty destructive given the large diameter. Idk, I guess I might just be overestimating what the .30 does.
I'd say the power source is the main factor. 🤷‍♂️powder vs air is like rocks to mountains

You have to consider the projectile as well; a solid lead .22 wad cutter with a massive hollow point will make a big fat mess while a .35 spire point made of a hard alloy is going to make a clean pass through, providing they had the velocity/momentum to do such. We are shooting sub-sonic velocity so expansion is going to be more difficult to achieve than with a PB.