Don't Laugh until you have tried it.

OK we all can't be Matt Dubber and hunt small game in Africa. So I have become the Last of the Great White Gecko Hunters. 

I am not sure if this post should be in the Target Forum because shooting Geckos in the 5 to 15 yard range is more like only shooting bulls eyes, not hunting. Plus when you miss by less than an inch the Gecko just sits there. But the Challenge is to just shoot the tails off them.

I don't have to drive any where etc. I just walk to the window and look for potential Targets during the TV commercials. I side open the window and pop a gecko before the TV Commercial is over. Smaller Geckos I go for the Body shot because they are so small. But hitting them on the rebound off a hard surface is fun watching them fly. 

I am using the Bug Buster scope with AO down to 3 yards. But at 3 yards I am holding over by one Mil Dot. at 10 yards I am holding under by one Mil Dot. 15 yards I am dead on. Elevation is critical when shooting such a small target. Because my yard in fenced I don't seem to have wind age problems. 

While I respect the rights of your opinions I can not agree or feel any guilt for my actions. IMHO Gecko are in fact a Nuance Pest here in Florida.

If you want to talk cruelty of animals then think about how I poison millions of living being every day with chemicals. That right I am a professional killer or pest control operator who just might have a totally different attitude about killing than the average tree hugging granola nut.

Have a nice Day

"Ric-1".

While I respect the rights of your opinions I can not agree or feel any guilt for my actions. IMHO Gecko are in fact a Nuance Pest here in Florida.

If you want to talk cruelty of animals then think about how I poison millions of living being every day with chemicals. That right I am a professional killer or pest control operator who just might have a totally different attitude about killing than the average tree hugging granola nut.

Have a nice Day

How does your opinion make something a fact.I'm confused. If indeed they are a pest,a humane kill would be the least to ask.I don't think you can argue the cruelty aspect out of this one.

Wow! So we are now "tree hugging granola nuts" for simply believing that even pest animals deserve to be as Humanely and painlessly dispached as possible??
My dear friend, you are the reason Airgunners and hunters throughout our globe are hated and despised by so many!! It is people like you that cause misunderstandings and confusion to rise up in the minds of the multitudes who then Hate and despise all hunters, although the vast majority of us do not need Pschyiciatric couselling like you most definately do!!

Lots of folks are quick to get out the pitchforks and torches here.

I remember lizards being everywhere when I was in Florida as a kid. I didn't perceive them as a pest, but I don't know, as I don't live there all the time. I think I'd rather have them than the bugs though. The question is whether geckos will eat the bugs we consider pests.

A bit further south, they have pest iguanas and folks are encouraged to shoot them with airguns. Jim Chapman did a Hatsan-sponsored video on that one time, and it looks like quite the challenge.

"RollingStone"But Smaug if they are a pest, and that point hasn't been made yet by anyone, then I wouldn't have a problem with killing them humanely. But doesn't shooting their tails off allow them to continue to be the pest they always were, just deformed and maybe in some pain ? I'm keeping hold of my pitchfork and torch !!! :)
I agree that it's not good to just shoot their tails off. That's their defense mechanism, and it robs them of it. I'm not sure if it's painful for them or not.

On the other hand, sometimes we hold ourselves to a bit lower standards when shooting pests than proper game animals. For example, if I have a raccoon that's causing some big monetary damage, or causing me to lose my breakfast eggs, and I shoot him in the chest, with the best airgun I've got, but he runs off, I won't lose sleep over the fact that it might take him 20 minutes to die. Or there's mice or roaches, in the sticky traps. The fact that they're allowed by law to be sold means that small pests don't legally get the same consideration as noble big game animals.

Ever see that YouTube video of the guy who had squirrels behind a finished wall and he put a rat trap and web cam up there? The squirrel came in, got HAMMERED on the head with that trap, which knocked him senseless for awhile. Then, he woke up and staggered off. I may be a bad guy for doing so, but I laughed my head off, even though that squirrel was probably never the same afterwards. Or maybe there was no permanent damage, and it just humanely taught the squirrel about how rat traps work...?

My point with all of this is that sometimes, it's a gray area. We can't all agree to the same standard for everything.

Geckos are small, pesky reptiles which prefer to feed upon insects and spiders around houses. They most often station themselves along window sills and walls where there is sufficient light to attract insects. Though these reptiles are generally harmless, they can become as much of a nuisance as the insects and bugs they eat. Their presence is revealed by extensive fecal droppings which can stain carpets, fabrics and curtains, and is often found inside the house in areas where food is stored or prepared. These little creatures can carry salmonella. A quick Google search reveals a number of deadly pesticides and sticky traps that are used to exterminate Geckos. I've shot mice, moles and chipmunks because they were damaging the home owners property and/or getting into the house and leaving droppings everywhere. Some folks would condemn me for doing so. Some people were raised to regard these lizards with no more concern than most people have for insects; and all of us routinely kill insects. 

With great power comes great responsibility: not only for Spider-Man but for us, as hunters, as well. While we can buy powerful, accurate weapons the virtue to use them wisely is not in the box and not for sale WE have to provide that. I'm grateful to sites such as this where we can compare our ideas and discuss, maybe even convince others, what that proper use might be.

"RollingStone"With great power comes great responsibility: not only for Spider-Man but for us, as hunters, as well. While we can buy powerful, accurate weapons the virtue to use them wisely is not in the box and not for sale WE have to provide that. I'm grateful to sites such as this where we can compare our ideas and discuss, maybe even convince others, what that proper use might be.
I agree 100%. I just hate to see a new guy get hammered with negative accuracy so hard on his first posts here. One or two, and he'd get the idea. But when he gets mobbed and goes to -7, the chances that he'll stick around and become a productive member must really tank.

"gamyrick"Geckos are small, pesky reptiles which prefer to feed upon insects and spiders around houses. They most often station themselves along window sills and walls where there is sufficient light to attract insects. Though these reptiles are generally harmless, they can become as much of a nuisance as the insects and bugs they eat. Their presence is revealed by extensive fecal droppings which can stain carpets, fabrics and curtains, and is often found inside the house in areas where food is stored or prepared. These little creatures can carry salmonella. A quick Google search reveals a number of deadly pesticides and sticky traps that are used to exterminate Geckos. I've shot mice, moles and chipmunks because they were damaging the home owners property and/or getting into the house and leaving droppings everywhere. Some folks would condemn me for doing so. Some people were raised to regard these lizards with no more concern than most people have for insects; and all of us routinely kill insects.
This is exactly the kind of different viewpoint I was holding off judgment for. Thanks Rick.

Was never my intention to drive Ric-1 off just to convince him to shoot at the other end of the gecko and try to pop the head off if they are a nuisance. :)

You brought up another dilemma I've been dealing with about the differing ethics of shooting pests vs game animals and large vs small game. Kansas has made it legal to shoot deer over baited areas and I have a problem with that. On the other hand I've enjoyed watching many videos of people shooting squirrels on armored feeders and don't really have a problem with that, go figure !!! :)