• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Don’t be this guy

abandoning dead or injured white tailed deer

If true is grounds for NEVER being allowed to hunt again, in my book.

I should clarify that: Sure, sometimes you loose one. I have lost exactly one when a quakey and an arrow crossed paths before the arrow hit the deer. I literally spent three hours on my hands and knees tracking wet leaves which had been turned over by a deer that was not leaving a blood trail till I found that arrow and understood the deer was (barring infection) going to be just fine. So ... sometimes you loose one. That doesn't sound like what we are talking about here and if it isn't he got off too easy.

Iowa bans rifles for deer I believe. Shotguns only (archery too of course).Having hunted the invisible line between Iowa and Missouri I recall an Iowa game warden walking up to me and asking if I knew where I was at. I said Missouri and he said “NO, Missouri is ten yards behind you and if you don’t head back over there I will have to arrest you for hunting with that rifle”! 

Iowa bans rifles for deer I believe. Shotguns only (archery too of course).Having hunted the invisible line between Iowa and Missouri I recall an Iowa game warden walking up to me and asking if I knew where I was at. I said Missouri and he said “NO, Missouri is ten yards behind you and if you don’t head back over there I will have to arrest you for hunting with that rifle”! 

I appreciate enforcing the law but he could have told you that more politely and not be a dick about it.

I'm not sure this journalist got it all right. Normally there would have been jail time for a felon in possession of a firearm, but most journalist don't know the difference between an air gun, muzzle leader, firearm, or an airsoft gun in many cases. lol . Felons are also allowed to own muzzle loaders as well. All he got was probation and fines. I know a case in TN where several college students shot an Elk without a permit, which is a must in TN. They all where put on probation, fined, and had their hunting license suspended for 5 years each. One of them had their girlfriend with them at the time and she was put on probation and fined as well for being at the scene. This convicted felon didn't get any more than they did, except for the fines. I think they were all fined $5000 each. There were 5 total involved. 

Best I could find is that air rifles are not considered firearms in Iowa, nor by federal laws. His possession of a firearm may have been related to using the other guy's firearms, or even allowing the other guy to carry his firearms in his (the felon) vehicle. That alone can constitute possession, in the law's eyes. I really don't think anyone is going to focus on the air rifle in this case, except us. 

James

This is the stuff confiscated. Those may be rifles over by the crossbow - and maybe a .410. Could be center- or rim-fire ammo in the box. I couldn't find a full description.

Confiscated.1612529088.jpg

About 5 or 6 years ago in Idaho a serial poacher was convicted and literally made an example of if caught for poaching. He got sentenced to 3 years in prison, a life time hunting and fishing ban, can’t own a firearm ever again, no voting rights, cannot associate with people in possession of firearms while he is present, can’t even walk into the sporting goods section of walmart without violating the terms of his sentence, and $250K fine. Plus lose of all his guns, obviously, truck, camping trailer, snow machines, and etc.

The new paper article estimated this guy ended up having $350K worth of assets lose, and not including prison time, and years of parole.

The fore mentioned deserved what he got. And basically, it will take him a life time to recover.

All this translates into, states like Idaho take poaching very seriously. Even something small offense, if caught automatically suspends your license privilages for one year, and that is the minimum they can do to you.

Also, it is a violation of state hunting laws for not making an attempt to recover all game and “use”, except certain non-game species. Depending on how you read the law.

I laugh at how people hunt in states like Texas, because if you used the same practices in many western states your ass would wind up in prison. I don’t consider the use of feeder stations real hunting. And don’t explain to me you do it because of thick cover. Try stalking a big horn sheep or bull elk for 3 days over rugged mountain terrain and still say hunting in Texas is harder.