• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does the Huntsman Regal really benefit from a regulator?

Increase shot count is a statement based upon what is an acceptable ES from fill pressure to a point you stop shooting.

The volume of the guns air tank is fixed and in fact the Regulated gun has Less due to its presents within the tank.

Also a regulated gun shoots said pellets at a lower pressure ( Within valve & Plenum ) and all things being equal also at a slight reduction in power.

** If your wanting max power from your PCP and contemplating a REG CONVERSION, your likely to loose that gamble and end up with a tad less power unless you make the effort to get valve & transfer path breathing better.

End game being .... REGULATED guns are more consistent and more times than not ... shoot MORE SHOTS within a much tighter ES value than a non reg gun.

Those who compete with PCP's will ONLY USE a regulated PCP for this reason. Many using as a hunting gun feel the same. ( ALL my pcps are regulated ... period ! )

Scott S

This isn't meant to be an informed post but I had a Huntsman and went through this maybe a year ago, and ended up buying a regulator. Diff angle than Motorhead presented.

I am of the opinion that the Huntsman/Regal and other DS guns (but not all anymore, and not speaking to the electronic versions, there are other factors there) really do benefit from the slingshot system and are balanced pretty well. The shot curves on the these are usually far more sedate than many/most other unregulated guns. My theory was simply that if the regulator was set to deliver shots at or just above the lower end of the shot curve (beginning and end) that you'd see some benefits with some limitations. The shot string (curve) should be flatter and you should get more shots, The shot increase under my scenario still depends on how much the reg limits the power AND while the curve would be flatter, the highest part of the curve would be reduced (less power) to whatever the reg allowed... which in theory would save air and provide a few more shots.

All of this is just me (a home hobbyist) thinking. But it all fits the DS and regulator molds. One more thing I'll add, this sounds like you are thinking new purchase and assume AOA as the vendor. They are good, but I would ask if they would find the curve on the gun you order and set the reg up appropriately and/or to your desire (again, I don't think you could go over avg power for this gun anyway, but you may be able to dial it back). OR be willing to do it yourself. 

I sold the gun before it came to the top of my 'next' list. Basically gave the reg away. So, no real world info.

Here's some shot strings with different fill pressures using JSB 18.13gr and 15.89gr with my non-regulated Huntsman Regal XL. I don't have any regrets on my purchase. 

1555539021_11572986575cb7a44d537302.57419758_SmartSelect_20190417-075742_Excel.jpg