• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does anyone shoot 10M pistol?

If you are shooting 1 inch groups off hand at 10m, you are doing quite well. If you say your pistol shoots better than you do, why not work on bettering your shooting until it is better than the pistol, then consider getting something something better. That way you can improve your shooting and learn what your and your pistol's limitations are. However, on the flip side, if you wish to truly take the pistol out of the equation, look at getting a bona fide 10m pistol that is a known performer and work from there. I quickly "out grew" what I had and eventually invested in a true 10m pistol. That has really helped. Review your shooting technique, video yourself if possible, analyze your targets and compare them to how you are shooting, your progress will be more speedy and productive rather than merely shooting and hoping your groups tighten up. Good luck and have fun in your shooting adventure.

Opps, forgot to mention, if you like to tinker, give it a go, however, not sure how much improvement you may achieve. Perhaps just a good cleaning and new seals if possible. Otherwise just recognize the limitations of whatever you are shooting. Kinda like being disappointed if you are wanting to use a 10m pistol for hunting out to 50 yards. LOL. Just not designed for that. I am sure you understand. :~) Happy shooting!

You may try to gently polish the trigger mechanism if that is possible. You have your benchmark of one inch groups using a rest, when your off hand unrested shooting matches your rested shots, I would say you are ready to get a better pistol. That way your gun no longer exceeds your ability, rather, the other way around. In either case, it is still fun, albeit somewhat frustrating at times. Take a look at your budget and spend wisely. If you really enjoy 10m, go on the higher end of quality, that way you won't be in the same spot down the road as you are now. It is fun to shop and research! :~)

Oldbear, the 1377 is a pretty awesome gun for the money, but for 10m shooting I think you would definitely enjoy something more focused on that task: better grip ergonomics, sights, trigger, and no need for multiple pumps, etc.

The V10 is a good pistol; I had one years ago (when it was known as the Gamo Compact). I had to whittle the grips a little for my smallish hands, it's rather muzzle-light in balance, and its construction has a lot of plastic, but basically it's a good gun. Looking at Pyramyd's video, perhaps the trigger has been improved a bit over the early one I had too.

IMHO the best self-contained intro-level match air pistol of the last few years is the IZH 46 and 46M. Unfortunately those have gotten quite pricey, but you might keep an eye out for a good used one. Another gun I like is the HW 75 (aka Beeman P2); the layout of it is not truly that of a "match" level pistol I guess, and again they are expensive, but the thing is very accurate, has a great trigger, is built solid as a brick, and just kinda sings to me.

You might even like the Beeman P17 better than the 1377. Those are so ridiculously inexpensive that there's little reason not to try it - really every air gunner should just own one anyhow!

Opps, well double duh! Sorry uhfradarwill, after another MORE detailed look at your targets, I see that you had written 18 yards RESTED. Guess I needed better light or better reading glasses. LOL. Even so, at 18 yards rested, that was pretty good for a 9 inch barrel pistol. Well done!

LoL. I shot groups thru a chrony last weekend. 580fps with standard deviation of 8 fps with this Match Guns.

Will

Shot these 3/8 “ at 8 yds and 1.1” at 15 yards and 1 3/8” unsupported at 20 yds but the sighting aid rules me out as being true to 10m strict rules.

I just cannot get the focus on the opens to deliver this level of marksmanship, without the sight. 
B4A74C8B-FF94-4924-831D-6611FC6DF827.1630435775.jpeg
298B3EDD-7550-45DD-9BCA-A548CACF0DA2.1630435954.jpeg

I shoot 10m air pistol (and rifle) with a bunch of guys at our local clubs.

My pistol is a Daisy 747 and on my best days can get into the low 90's (those days are rare!) so it is certainly accurate enough for my needs.

As my arthritic fingers, especially trigger finger, don't always function as directed by my brain I wonder if a lighter trigger would be better for me at this point.

I can say with certainty that a better, lighter trigger on a new 9mm powder gun improved my scores in bullseye by 30 points over my old gun.

I've been torturing myself over buying this, and then I have a few really good days with the Daisy so have not yet pulled the trigger to purchase one.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-av-46m-match-air-pistol?m=5257#10566

I did get an Air Venturi V10 and so far I don't regret it.

I am still working to get my groups down (and scores up). So far my average scores on the V10 are only slightly better than my 1377.

Getting the trigger on the 1377 down past 4 lbs is hard. I am getting the V10 down to about 2 lbs so far (with more to go).

In the back of my mind I suspect that light triggers are a crutch for understanding and controlling trigger pull... but what do I know?

Find the right pellet for the gun. The difference pellets can make still surprises me after many years of shooting.

Ensure both ends of the barrel are correctly finished and if not lap them with a brass dome head screw in a drill chuck on low revs….touch of AutoSol on the screw for final finishing.

Beyond that, the V10 trigger might hold you back. Its the weakest feature of the gun relative to regular 10m target pistols. There are a few things to try and improve it but its primary mechanism is not the best, meaning you can only go so far with tinkering with it.

Finally, after a number years of experimenting, i have discovered a vital component for pistol shooting which is missing in many models. If the gun does not make velocity approaching 500 fps, the pellet does not make it out of the 7-8 inch barrel (typical) before the recoil or follow through takes place. Hence why the relatively basic Crosman pistol takes some beating. My LP53 above was rebuilt to achieve in excess of 500 fps so that the pellet is clear of the barrel before the comical recoil takes place. ….the difference between it and the 400fps OEM version is night and day.

I still shoot 10 m pistol when I get the chance. Built a real 10 m range in my basement when my housevwas built 20 yrs ago. Being out in the country I dont have many guest shooters so mostly myself. Had a small group of guyscthat got together a couple times ea month but health issues forced them to quit. I was smart enough to get a couple IZH 46m pistols when the price was good and our govt allowed Russian guns to be imported. Now the prices are unbelievable, but I have kept my left hander for all these years and still shoots like the day I got it. Never was anygood at that one handed shooting stuff, have always needed a two handed hold and still do. Would like to do more 10m pistol and rifle but it gets kinda boring by yourself. Anybody near the Toledo Oh area is welcome to come join me.

I have tried different pellets at 10 meters with a sand bag rest and so far I get about the same spread from most brands (about 1"). I have not yet found a brand that is magic for my gun. I do have a problem with wadcutters tearing out large holes that are difficult to score, expecially when I have more than one shot close together. I have been using pointed pellets that leave a more precise puncture, but without the round pellet mark of the wadcutters. Pointed pellets are also easier to load in my V10.

I am beginning to suspect that there is an upward kick that is pulling my shots. I certainly am pulling shots up and to the right with bad trigger pulls, but I get so many bad trigger pulls, even when I am squeezing as carefully as I can that I would love to blame my gun. So far I have not found anyone in my area with another gun to compare with though.

Wadcutters are a double edged sword. Notorious for tearing cards if the velocity is much below 450fps, but cutting perfect round holes when at, or above 450fps. Its interesting that when FWB were asked what velocity their FWB 65 pistol made, they said perfectly adequate….The 65 well known for making approx 460 fps or so with Wadcutters….is probably the reason for them saying adequate!

With your determination to succeed and obvious interest, you deserve a better gun.