• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does anyone have any experience on the Alpha Pellet Head Gauge?

s-l1600.1628472334.jpg

Ron_c,

I'm interested in this product, never heard of it before, or seen it. It could be effective for the task, they used to have a .22 rimfire headspace gauge that worked in this manner years ago, and did a decent job of culling rimfire ammo. I'd be very interested in getting one, I'd test it, and do a review on it. If you could send a link, or other info where to get this, it would be appreciated. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

questions

1. do the pellets slide to the same place if you try them 5 times or how close are they if the head is not round

2. do they adjust a bit based on the photos 

3. if they adjust how good is the angle and the machining so they can be set at a gradual decreasing distance to keep the sorting 

‘at about an equal distance apart based on the graduations

and so on

would be interesting to see if they work and if the device is similar in sorting if you buy 3 let’s say 

inquiring minds want to know 

I have a different brand head sizer. The problem you will most likely encounter is that the pellets are not completely round, being formed by two molds halves'. Be sure and rotate the projectiles around and take multiple readings to get the real story. I now size my projectiles using a NOE sizing bushing and a Lee press. Now I know all are the same size. Those bushing are fairly inexpensive from NOE. You can push pellets through the bushing by hand or use an improvised tool to get them through. The Lee press makes the task really quick and is at a reasonable cost as well, especially the hand press model from Lee.

The Alpha Pellet Head Gauge came in today. I've only played around with it for a couple of hours. Right off the bat I saw it's not like in the video. It's based off the base of the pellet sitting flat on the surface. It's very easy to get the pellet tilted and hence, different readings on the head size. If your not careful, it can show head size, for example, a low of 4.48 to a high of 4.51 depending on now much tilt the pellet has, using the same pellet. I found it will be very close to the same diameter reading, 7 out of 10 times by slowly letting the pellet slide on it's base until it stops by the resistance. More testing is needed before deciding on how well it works compared to the Pelletgage.

Oh, it even comes with it's own Q-Tip. I'm guessing it's for removing the pellet with something that won't damage the pellet.

s-l500a.1629770184.jpg

DSC04976a.1629770227.jpg

DSC04977a.1629770251.jpg

Reactions: Ezana4CE
More test results.

This is a small pack of RWS Basic, WC pellets that was labeled 4.50 head diameter using the Pelletgage. The photo shows the results with the Alpha. Each pellet was checked at least 3 times each and some as much as 5 times to see which head diameter it was. I know you can manipulate a pellet into a smaller hole with the Pelletgage, sometimes, by wiggling the pellet and once half of the head get into the hole the rest will go in but are sometimes a little hard to get back out.

If you do like the video shows and turn the Alpha up and let the pellet fall until it stops, every time, the pellet would tilt and the base would not be flat to the base of the Alpha and it would read a smaller head diameter.

Best results, I found so far, is to let the pellet slide slowly, tapping the side of the gauge until it stops and most of the time the base is flat to the base. Checking one pellet 10 times and if careful, it would fall within, for example, 4.50 to 4.51 range about 6 to 7 out of 10 times. The other times the pellet would be tilted and read lower or higher depending on the direction of the tilt.

DSC04980a.1629935842.jpg

UPDATE: I need to clarify on the above results. When I said, some of the pellets were in the 4.49 to 4.50 range the pellet would be just below the 4.50 mark maybe by a head diameter below. If you could put a number on it would be like 4.497 as the smallest size. The same thing in the 4.51 range. Again, if you could put a number on it, it would be like 4.513 or less as the largest size, so it's not that much difference Technically, it falls within the 4.49 size pellet and same thing with the 4.51 size as shown below.

s-l1600a.1630016496.jpg

I will need to research this gauge as well, but my main concern is the pellet skirt.

Talking now about a latest batch of .25 JSB MK2's I received somewhere early June. When I finally ended my last year order and started a new batch, I noticed the skirt is bigger and doesn't do a go-nogo with the pellet sorting gauge

Noticed also shooting @ 100 that my radar jumps the numbers, this could be either a looser or a tighter skirt