• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does a silencer do any good on a springer?

It helps a little bit, nothing like the difference it makes on a PCP. 

The only issue is with the adapters that are sometimes needed to mount them if the barrel isn't threaded, and the harmonics and extra length may be troublesome. 

In my experience, not worth the hassle if its not chopped, choked and properly threaded. 

A baffled shroud is a much better approach in my opinion. 

Standing next to it, as we do when we're shooting, it makes little difference as we're hear all the mechanical noise. 

It's down range that it makes the difference.

I'm not saying this is safe or smart but........with a moderator on, if you were to stand off to one side of the target and have someone shoot, you pretty much just hear the whisp of the pellet flying and it hitting the target.

My HW95L .22 came with a moderator/silencer and after an ARH kit & GPL-205 lube this is the shot sound. The moderator is also useful for cocking the rifle. The rifle has an average of 710 FPS with FTT 14.66s and is very accurate.

Moderator 2.1624316345.jpg

https://youtu.be/bywPFmB2_ZM

A while back I had a .177 Crosman Fire/F4. It was/is a cheap NP break barrel and was very loud. So loud that I never could hear the impact of the pellet and the other pests in the area would scamper away before I could get a second shot.

Using PVC, hair rollers, duct tape, etc, etc, etc, I fashioned several slip on suppressors and when I finally decided I had it right, it was pretty darned quiet! I could actually hear the impact of the pellet and the other pests were much less likely to run away. I never could get used to how much that AG JUMPED when shot. I know there are MUCH better springers out there, but I went PCP after that and am not looking back! LOL!

Of course, the noise from the NP itself was something I could not suppress and the Fire eventually was given away to a member on GTA for free... including shipping! (smile)

So, to answer your initial question in the title of this thread, YES, a suppressor/moderator can make a HUGE difference depending on the particular springer.

Simply put.

The "silencer" will also become a modifier to barrel vibration and accuracy with the aim being to hit the same place in the sights time after time. The HW98 system has a modifier at the end of the barrels. I have the solid .20 HW98 and the unscrewing .25 and .177 HW98 models using the "moderator" or "silencer" that can also be detached in the event you want to do something else.

so far I don't want to do anything else on any springer with or without moderator or silencer or whatever. I have just taken them in as they came.

So YES since the HW98 uses a "silencer" or "moderator" it is more reliable in accuracy in all weather conditions and time. Time always tells me any HW98 with its own silencer installed by HW is the best.

Silencing sound in a muzzle blast from a PCP or CO2 or pneumatic is done with a baffle system of sort.

Do we need PCP silencers on springers? My HW80 .20 is the loudest springer along with the tuned .20 D54 and neither make enough noise to justify "silencing" them unless you are so close to it you hear it and think others hear the same 15 yards away or less.

The balance act of a muzzle device implanted professionally in a springer will improve it for accuracy and reliable poi.

I kinda know this along the way since 2000 came along.

Kindly

I got to wondering. Would a silencer on the end of a springer do any good, or are springers loud by their nature? Seems to me like the noise I hear is the mechanism inside the springer working.

All my PCPs have DonnyFL silencers on them and they really work and make the PCP quieter.

Thanks, Bobby

The short version is "yes".

There are multiple sources of noise in any shooting platform. Some mechanisms are prone to more noise because of their design. Spring rifles and other rifles which are driven by a compressed mechanism which uses mechanical energy to compress air at the moment of firing tend to be more mechanically noisy than PCPs and Pneumatic rifles (pumpers). That mechanical noise can't be silenced. The associated muzzle "blast" with springers is also present and can be silenced just like it can on a PCP or pneumatic.

The real question is whether or not the effort is worth it and whether or not you want to hang a flimsy "moderator" out there on the end of you spring rifle. The first question is most easily answered by having someone shoot your spring rifle out in the open field while you walk around the area listening to the noise level. Then you decide if you believe you are hearing the muzzle blast mostly or the slap of the piston closing. Whichever is louder will inform your decision.

Generally I have not found ANY spring rifle to be too loud for my use but I do not live in "suburbia". My son DID find his Diana 350 to be too loud in suburbia. So I bought him a Diana Stormrider, which solved that problem. 

Sometimes the simplest choice is also the smartest one. If you think your spring rifle is too loud for your community you probably should just consider spending two or three times the cost of that quality moderator and getting a silenced/moderated PCP and a pump.

Reactions: NG Vet
I got to wondering. Would a silencer on the end of a springer do any good, or are springers loud by their nature? Seems to me like the noise I hear is the mechanism inside the springer working.

All my PCPs have DonnyFL silencers on them and they really work and make the PCP quieter.

Thanks, Bobby

The short version is "yes".

There are multiple sources of noise in any shooting platform. Some mechanisms are prone to more noise because of their design. Spring rifles and other rifles which are driven by a compressed mechanism which uses mechanical energy to compress air at the moment of firing tend to be more mechanically noisy than PCPs and Pneumatic rifles (pumpers). That mechanical noise can't be silenced. The associated muzzle "blast" with springers is also present and can be silenced just like it can on a PCP or pneumatic.

The real question is whether or not the effort is worth it and whether or not you want to hang a flimsy "moderator" out there on the end of you spring rifle. The first question is most easily answered by having someone shoot your spring rifle out in the open field while you walk around the area listening to the noise level. Then you decide if you believe you are hearing the muzzle blast mostly or the slap of the piston closing. Whichever is louder will inform your decision.

Generally I have not found ANY spring rifle to be too loud for my use but I do not live in "suburbia". My son DID find his Diana 350 to be too loud in suburbia. So I bought him a Diana Stormrider, which solved that problem. 

Sometimes the simplest choice is also the smartest one. If you think your spring rifle is too loud for your community you probably should just consider spending two or three times the cost of that quality moderator and getting a silenced/moderated PCP and a pump.

Right in my view with 3 HW98s and 4 HW80s and 4 HW35Es and 2 HW50s and a 97 underlever to boot!

The HW98's taught me how loud the mechanical sound actually is within the metal and beech adjustable stock issued like an "erector set" to set up the rifle to your own cheek and neck and shoulders. Once it's all done you can shoot offhand consistency with incredible in season and out of season accuracy to 35 yards easy!

But the rods in the HW98 are metal and they transfer to the butt end the actual NOISE going on inside the machinery of a springer which will make your ear closest to the stock hear it and absorb it. Extra mechanical sounds that make it seem louder. But on the outside a 98 is actually calm sounding depending upon how much interpreted noise is actually being heard by neighbors.

For example, the quietest HW98 I have is the .25 caliber! Then the rest fall in line (both .177 and .20) as second quietest.

Air turbulence is what makes noise in the first place.