• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you need a special certification to do airgun pest control for money

I don't have any license! And, I occasionally get paid. Perhaps not in direct cash, but I think a couple of two pound T-bones is enough payment! Don't you?

Oh! You can do almost anything if you have the permission of the land owner. In my case, I have a letter which gives me unlimited access to everything the ranch owner owns—all 87 sections of it!!!

I would think you should have liability insurance of some type. We live in a suit happy world & if you make a "mistake" of some kind, you could lose big time. I watch a lot of every ones hunting videos & am amazed at some of the shots some guys take, cows & livestock in the back round, houses & cars in the back round, etc. One was just posted where he shoots a pigeon sitting right beside a window. Sometimes bad things can happen even when you are careful. 

"Bullwhisper"I do live in Washington state so this is very helpful input, saw that u lived in yakima on your state airgun laws feed, I actually just moved from eastern Washington, looked at the same laws while I was there I live near Tacoma wa now so very helpful info ztirffritz
What I stated above is if you want to get paid/compensated for the pesting. If you just get permission to hunt the property, that's different. You just need a small game license and make sure you're hunting unclassified animals (squirrels, skunks, coyotes, marmots, porcupines, etc) I posted a link to the WDFW document that lists the unclassified species.

Ya fair enough but with payment comes an expectation to produce results to. I would stick with your other plan and get a good day job. Lol. Do yourself a favour and just offer your services for free. Have a good time and if they shoot some coin your way all the better. 

If you are just looking for a place to shoot pests I think you will have better luck with that approach. I don't what the farmers are like down there but up here they are very open to it. Once I got my first farm it didn't take long to get invited to shoot at other farms. 

If you're shooting at farms with livestock their biggest concern will be that you don't bother the animals and don't shoot holes in the buildings. 

Good luck. 

I'd be disinclined to try to charge for what is essentially a hobby - when you start asking for money in exchange for vermin removal, the landowner expects results; usually more substantial results than a handful of rabbits (as an example) each time you go out. They're going to want to notice a significantly improved yield to even consider paying. Especially when there's a good chance that somebody else is essentially offering the same 'service' but requesting permission to carry out their hobby.

The idea that it'll pay for pellets and upgrades is one thing, but hobbies cost money. That's just how it is. Don't take the fun out of it.

That's how I see it, anyway.

As previously stated, it depends on where you live. Despite popular belief, this isn't that easy of a topic to address.

Currently, in the US, there are more than 24 states that have some sort of requirement for nuisance wildlife damage control (off the top of my head there is CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IN, IL, KY, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, WA, WI, WV, DC). Some of these states have an actual license and testing requirement (CT, IL, IN, KY, OH, GA, MA etc.) while others require a hunting and/or trapping license or special permit. For some states you will first have to register as a business with the appropriate Secretary of State and Tax department, while in others they don't check that requirement. Additionally, there are states where you have to write about your experiences with controlling wildlife and submit it to the regulatory officials or do a verbal interview in order to determine if you have enough qualifications to be given a permit/license. Some states will require the license/permit/authorization regardless if a fee is being charged or not, so don't think that because you'd be doing this for free that you don't need to check first. I don't know that current status, but I do know that Canada is working on a wildlife control program that would be recognized in all Provinces and Territories. 

Realize that even if you are granted a license/permit/permission it doesn't mean that you can use air rifles. More states are going with the operator having to submit a review of the conflict situation and list non-lethal control methods that must be tried before any lethal control methods may be used. If you are able to use lethal control methods, start with looking at the regulatory laws to determine if you are allowed air rifles. Even if air rifles are legal, you also need to see if there are any rules about using a suppressed or silenced air rifle on a wild animal. For example, because Ohio had a Revised Code rule that suppressors, mufflers or silencers could not be used when shooting a wild animal unless otherwise stated by the Ohio Division of Wildlife (DOW), we had to add a special clause in our nuisance wild animal Administrative Code to allow suppressors, mufflers or silencers in order to use air rifles that are so equipped (Revised Code trumps Administrative Code and because authority was given to DOW in Revised Code we are able to make the necessary change). This is kind of the issue that is currently going on in Michigan.

Additionally, you need to understand not only the state laws and regulations, but also Federal laws and based on where services are performed, municipality laws or township ordinance. This is generally where most problems occur. Quite a few municipalities and townships have laws and ordinances that prohibit "propelling an object at a wild animal with intent to hurt or kill." Other issues can be "discharge of an air rifle/firearm (you need to know how air rifles are classified for your service area) within X number of feet of a road or dwelling." And then you have those areas that have designated as "wildlife/bird sanctuaries" that need to be considered as well. Although this can look daunting, don't think it means you cannot use an air rifle. Rather, what it means is that you may have to apply for special permits or permission in order to use an air rifle to resolve a conflict situation.

To find out what is required for a state, go to the regulatory authority website and look for nuisance wildlife or nuisance wild animal rules (some states have Dept of Fish & Wildlife while others will have a Dept of Environmental Conservation or Dept of Wildlife). You can also contact a wildlife officer, but realize that they may not know all of the rules and licenses associated with doing nuisance wildlife or nuisance wild animal control so it really is up to you to do the research to protect yourself.

Eric