• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you like wood or laminate on Weihrauch HW97K?

At least in my case, I only have the one. The advantage was that it fit the bill for exactly what I was looking for: laminate and a thumbhole stock. I got the bonus of the adjustable cheek rest and adjustable butt pad, since both were included in the price of the rifle.
I guess I didn't make it clear what I am asking. Are there any functional advantages/disadvantages to a laminate stock? Objectively speaking.

Personally, the only laminate stock I have seen in this thread that I liked aesthetically was the one that was naturally stained. The bright colored stocks simply do not appeal to me at all. Of course that is all subjective.

However, I digress. What I am asking is if there is an objectively functional advantage/disadvantage to a laminate stock over a solid wood stock. For the purpose of this question, let's leave plastic stocks out of it.

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: wgd
I guess I didn't make it clear what I am asking. Are there any functional advantages/disadvantages to a laminate stock? Objectively speaking.

Personally, the only laminate stock I have seen in this thread that I liked aesthetically was the one that was naturally stained. The bright colored stocks simply do not appeal to me at all. Of course that is all subjective.

However, I digress. What I am asking is if there is an objectively functional advantage/disadvantage to a laminate stock over a solid wood stock. For the purpose of this question, let's leave plastic stocks out of it.

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry
I'm pretty sure laminate is more stable than plain wood as far as swelling and shrinking with temperature and moisture.
I have the green laminate 77K, but the comb is lower than the 97K stock, so there's a difference
when trying to get behind the scope.
I'm also looking for a custom stock for my 97K.

Reactions: beerthief

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry
These only apply to myself and my stock. Others will likely have varying opinions on advantages/disadvantages for them. Plastic/synthetic stocks, although I own several, were never part of the question considering the OP asked about Wood vs Laminate.
Thumbhole gives me a more comfortable reach to the trigger and I own several besides my laminate. It's also heavier than the standard Beech stock that came on my HW95 .22 which helps in the accuracy department since at least to me, the rifle seems more balanced and fits me better when I shoulder it vs the standard stock.
Mine as mentioned also has the bonus of both an adjustable cheek rest and adjustable butt pad which add to me being able to adjust things to my shooting. I have yet to find any disadvantages to my choice.
Hopefully this answers your question a little better at least in regards to what I posted.

I ended up with 2 97’s by mistake. Couldn’t part with them.
IMG_6989.jpeg
Crow

Serious question.

Other than aesthetics, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a laminate stock?

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry
If we really spilt hairs here, Laminate stocks are less prone to warping and temporary dimensional changes from humidity. They're epoxied soaked plys put under great pressure. The epoxy resin permeates through all the plys. They're very very strong and stable.
Downsides are they're a little bit heavier and some people don't like the way they look. Which may limit resale appeal.

Reactions: wgd and BackStop
Heavier is not a downside when shooting a recoiling rifle.
Ok. That depends. For accuracy it's good. The extra weight helps stabilize a springer. So for bench shooting it's actually a plus.

If you carry it out in the field, it's not. This could start another ugly discussion about how manley men can carry big heavy rifles and only sissy girlie men like lighter rifles. I'm the latter as are most actual field hunters.

You couldn't pay me to slog my Hw97 around my hilly property. I take my Hw50 because 3 lbs lighter and is close in power. I'm more accurate with it afield because it doesn't wear me out, balances better and shoulders quicker. That's just my preference.

FWIW I also have a 22 caliber R1 and four Hw95 family guns in three calibers and I still take the 177 HW50 into the woods for all the same reasons.

Reactions: Star7 and sekiar
Sherz
no problems with custom stock , just a remove old and replace with new . I bought Hw 97 in a synthetic stock expressly because i wanted a custom stock . Bought one from custom stock in UK . Took about 4 weeks to receive . Had my 97 tuned to 11.6 FPE while i waited on the stock , thinking about it now i should have had the 97 tuned to 10.6 FPE .

Reactions: .20calguy
Is there any risk of messing up the internals if I unscrew everything and remove the stock. I'd be shook that I might ruin something
None. Only 3 screws holding the stock on, 2 in front and one at the trigger guard and none of them have anything to do with the internals on the rifle.

If we really spilt hairs here, Laminate stocks are less prone to warping and temporary dimensional changes from humidity. They're epoxied soaked plys put under great pressure. The epoxy resin permeates through all the plys. They're very very strong and stable.
Downsides are they're a little bit heavier and some people don't like the way they look. Which may limit resale appeal.
Or enhance it.

I think a laminate stock in natural wood /no dye would look good , not really fond of the colors . But maybe the dye hides staining from the Epoxy process ?
There's plenty of natural wood colored laminate stocks. I think the Beeman RX2 came with one. I have a Marlin and my son has a Savage in natural wood colored laminate stocks. I like the way they look. Stock coloring and styling are like women. We all like what we like and there's no right or wrong.