• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Digital Side Wheel

I see in the rules that it explicitly staes that the Digital Dide Wheel is not legal in WFTF class. There is no mention of the Digital side wheel in neither Hunter or Open class. Is the Digital Side Wheel then legal for those classes?
Jspool, the Digital Side Wheel isn't legal for any AAFTA classes, for 2 reasons:
1) it is specifically mentioned as not legal for WFTF class
2) The common rules say that "E. Non-electronic wind indicators attached to the gun are allowed.", but the Digital Side Wheel has an electronic wind indicator function, so it is not legal for any class.

Thanks for asking for clarification on an inconsistency in the wording of the rules. AAFTA will take your query into consideration for a future rule clarification.

Jeff Cloud
AAFTA BOG

Yesterday I shot a field target match in which ONE shooter had no side-wheel on his scope. He also had no bubble level, no wind indicator, no electronic trigger or firing-action, not even a side-focus scope. In fact the only shooting aid of any kind beyond his bipod and folding stool was a sun-shade on the front objective bell, which he had to reach way forward to focus. He muttered something about the scope being an obsolete Weaver model, discontinued decades ago.

1679970961095.png

Dude shot pellets straight from the tin, discarding about 20% after inspecting each skirt (while wearing reading glasses). His whole approach was so out of place as to seem almost prehistoric. His gun had a wood stock that he was extremely proud of. He was old. Correction- ANCIENT. And a crotchety old fart!

Lo and behold, he finished comfortably clear of the other 21 shooters in the match. WTF? :oops: :unsure:

On arriving home I couldn't shake the feeling I'd been exposed to this guy before. I finally made the connection, and dug out a book buried on the bottom shelf of my library of airgunning books, reference materials, and catalogs.

Upon flipping through the little soft-cover book I located the quote responsible for my feeling I knew the guy.

"At what point does the supplanting of shooting skills with gizmos and gadgetry actually defeat the purpose of competitive or recreational shooting? I ask again as I have for decades, but now more strenuously than ever- just how many shooting aids, accessories, gadgets and gizmos are appropriate in games of shooting skill? Point is, shooting skills are coming under exponentially-increasing assault from high-tech; thereby threatening the very reasons recreational shooters shoot! (Hint- to exercise and improve their shooting skills.)"

Last edited:
Jspool, the Digital Side Wheel isn't legal for any AAFTA classes, for 2 reasons:
1) it is specifically mentioned as not legal for WFTF class
2) The common rules say that "E. Non-electronic wind indicators attached to the gun are allowed.", but the Digital Side Wheel has an electronic wind indicator function, so it is not legal for any class.

Thanks for asking for clarification on an inconsistency in the wording of the rules. AAFTA will take your query into consideration for a future rule clarification.

Jeff Cloud
AAFTA BOG
Appreciated Jeff,
Thanks for the clarity and conciseness

Yesterday I shot a field target match in which ONE shooter had no side-wheel on his scope. He also had no bubble level, no wind indicator, no electronic trigger or firing-action, not even a side-focus scope. In fact the only shooting aid of any kind beyond his bipod and folding stool was a sun-shade on the front objective bell, which he had to reach way forward to focus. He muttered something about the scope being an obsolete Weaver model, discontinued decades ago.

Dude shot pellets straight from the tin, discarding about 20% after inspecting each skirt (while wearing reading glasses). His whole approach was so out of place as to seem almost prehistoric. His gun had a wood stock that he was extremely proud of. He was old. Correction- ANCIENT. And a crotchety old fart!

Lo and behold, he finished comfortably clear of the other 21 shooters in the match. WTF? :oops: :unsure:

On arriving home I couldn't shake the feeling I'd been exposed to this guy before. I finally made the connection, and dug out a book buried on the bottom shelf of my library of airgunning books, reference materials, and catalogs.

Upon flipping through the little soft-cover book I located the quote responsible for my feeling I knew the guy.

"At what point does the supplanting of shooting skills with gizmos and gadgetry actually defeat the purpose of competitive or recreational shooting? I ask again as I have for decades, but now more strenuously than ever- just how many shooting aids, accessories, gadgets and gizmos are appropriate in games of shooting skill? Point is, shooting skills are coming under exponentially-increasing assault from high-tech; thereby threatening the very reasons recreational shooters shoot! (Hint- to exercise and improve their shooting skills.)"
I feel the same way about hands off (sans trigger) benchrest sometimes.

Reactions: AirNGasman
I feel the same way about hands off (sans trigger) benchrest sometimes.
Some shooting competitions have "evolved" to the point of being only a test of equipment, not shooting skill.

I hold airgun bench-rest competitions (to 100 yards) that test shooting skills. A front sand-bag or bipod is allowed, but NOTHING under the butt except the shooter's off hand or thin air. Also a 16X magnification limit. The most skilled shooters prevail... always.

The most equipment-'centric' shooters grumble about the rules.

I recently participated in a couple bench rest competitions and the only way I placed in the top eight was that there were only eight participants! There were an awful lot of perfect 1000s and lots of x’s for the top shooters. Even at 50’ indoors, I still couldn’t shoot even one perfect 250. So, there gotta be something to it besides equipment.

Reactions: K9bite