Did I make a big mistake? I bought a Yong Heng compressor from China!!

Welp ran it last night...my scuba tank was under 2000 pounds and it really needed to be refilled. I ran it for 15 min and it took the tank up to 2500 pounds....that is not too bad. The compressor got up to IIRC 60c before I shut it down to let it cool off. I did not go back to it so I could top it off....So are so good. It did warm up quite a bit, smelled like a hot iron was on or something, but everything seems happy.

At what temp do you guys usually shut down....It rose to 50c pretty quick then took about 10 minutes of running to hit 60c.

Anyhoo this is the first "fill" and it went real well.

My scba tank is bone empty so it will be fun to see how much running it takes to bring it up...I will likely only bring it up to a tick over 3000 as my guns top out there....and now that I can fill them....why put more in.

It reminds me of the question I get when reloading.....how much money do you save reloading vs buying factory ammo....

Generally I say none....you shoot just that much more.

I have been running through pellets like crazy....I am betting every night I am doing at least 100 rounds per night.....this compressor is going to be very expensive to own.

For example.....I was down to 2100 pounds last night....and I just filled the darn tank...what 2 days ago. Ran it up to 3000 and it took about 15 minutes.....not too darn bad.

I have it under my bench....I will try to remember to take a photo...with a tub of water....it is in the basement so it is pretty cool this time of year.

Up to this point I have not been much of a pcp fanboi....but wow...having this ability is just fantastic....my spring guns and multi pumpers are just sitting there....thinking he does not love us anymore.

So far I have about an hour of run time on the machine....I am keeping a log....no issues yet.

I'm buying one of these. A couple of questions. Does the 220v plug fit a standard laundry drier outlet, or will I have to replace the plug or outlet?
Does the standard fill valve fit the Umarex Gauntlet, or will I need to buy an adapter?

Unbelievable that I can get a decent PCP gun and pump for the price of a decent springer. I'm really stoked about this.

"bobad"I'm buying one of these. A couple of questions. Does the 220v plug fit a standard laundry drier outlet, or will I have to replace the plug or outlet?
Does the standard fill valve fit the Umarex Gauntlet, or will I need to buy an adapter?

Unbelievable that I can get a decent PCP gun and pump for the price of a decent springer. I'm really stoked about this.
I have a 110v, but as I understand it you are going to have to put a new "end" on. There is no real "standard" for 220 in the US, so it could be a few different flavors. I thought hard about doing the 220, but figured it would be more of a pain if I took it any where.

Yes it comes with a standard foster fitting, however be aware moisture will....as in WILL get into your gun if you fill direct from the compressor....you need a dryer....OR....and this is iffy by some people....fill a tank turn it upside down let it sit, the crack the valve, the water will come out....now is this good enough, that is up to you. Right now this is what I am doing,....being the cheap bastage that I am I did not want to spend the price of the compressor + on a GOOD dryer, and IMHO the Alpha is the only good one.

Mine has about an hour on it now, Did a fill on a new scba tank to 3k from nothing, took about 30-ish minutes....I let it take a "rest" after 15.....for me and the amount of water I am using after 15 min it hits 55C and that is my cut off point.

Oil is starting to darken but I will let it go a little longer.

So far it has worked like a charm....I have been shooting my PCP a great deal more.....now I get it....this is so flippin easy with pcp....no cocking, no pumping....just work the bolt and shoot.

I even shot teathered to the scba tank.....on the mrod every shot was 800-ish fps....a change in just a few fps here and there and a ton of dups....the same vel time and time again. pretty shocking.

Working on finding a pellet that it likes past 65 yards....seems at anything much past that everything goes real south real quick....from golf ball group to larger then a tennis ball.

This compressor is going to be very expensive......just in pellets.

@fpgt72, thanks for the info.

If it's that fast, I will probably get the 120v version and maybe a small tank. My shop has 220-240v, with decent amperage, but my 120v circuit is only 20 amp. My larger tools sometimes trip the breaker, so I was concerned about that. I'll just have to be careful not to run any large tools at the same time, and baby sit it for 10-20 minutes. Waiting on it to fill will be a good opportunity to tidy up the shop. Thanks again!

"fpgt72"Some of the water filtering options will double the price of the compressor. Me is starting to think this may be a ploy to soak us for as much as they can.
me thinks you are right. I have been pumping unfiltered air through 6 different guns for 6 years. Possibly northwards of 70,000 pellets. Never EVER EVER a speck of corrosion or problems. If you gentlemen want to spend your hard earned money on "useless" filters knock yourselves out..... 😏

man I'm gonna get hammered for this! Lol oh well 

I purchased the 220v version and it cam with a standard north american 110v plug. instead of cutting up the power cable i simple went to lowes and bought a dryer power cord, a single pvc electrical box and a 3 prong outlet. I was able to screw the ring terminals of the dryer cord directly to the 3 prong outlet. Now i have an adapter cable just for the Yong Heng.

I use the deep sink faucet to push the cooling water through the compressor so no pump needed with the advantage of a constant cool flow of water. Temps seem to hover in the upper 40 degree C range. 

6789dde81b72f4a1156ba3490f8383c7.jpg

c343495cac74e4d82f740d1561c67297.jpg

83441994046a3a567452c3ea429dcf93.jpg

Great solution JT. I'll bet that adapter would make my old Craftsman drill run faster than new. ;)

Kidding aside, a lot of inexpensive 120v air compressor motors are intended to run on 220v. I have one myself, it has 2 big capacitors on the motor that enable it to start on 120v. Some day I will convert it to 220v so it will be on a different ciruit than my other shop tools. I'm still torn between getting the 120v and 220v version of the YH.

Studying up on the Yong Heng, it looks to me like a cross between a standard shop air compressor and a hand pump. I say that because it has a very small diameter piston sealed with O-rings on top of a typical shop compressor piston. Pretty clever really, like a super-high pressure 2 stage compressor. But, O-rings aren't meant for that application. Keeping the oil very clean and the temperature low should make them last a lot longer between rebuilds... and there will be rebuilds. I'm not much of a believer in synthetic oil for cars, but this could be a great application for it. The bare aluminum connecting rod and wrist pin will wear, and produce very fine aluminum particles suspended in the oil. These particles will slowly abrade the rubber O-rings.