• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Debating on Hog Hunting in This Heat

It’s still in the 90s and I’m debating on whether I want to get after these hogs tonight at my beaver permission. I’ve noticed that they like to get in the water when it’s in the 100s. That’s a no go unless it’s absolutely necessary. Someone try and talk me into it because I stepped outside a minute ago and I’m not feeling this heat.

I’d be taking out a .357 Benjamin Bulldog, a thermal scanner, and some hunting lights. Not sure how thermal works when it’s this warm. I am in need of some motivation.

In heat like this, you have to be very careful, especially, if you are by yourself. If you can get the required amount of electrolytes in you and if you have a hydration pack, then you would be taking the necessary steps that you will make a safe trip. If you will be in a stationary position (blind, stand, etc.), then that increases your safety, as you won't be dumping out water from continued exertion. It's also safer to go at night than in the daytime, as the sun beating down raises risks significantly. Don't play with the heat, as the first thing that goes during heat exhaustion is your clarity and lucidity, and you need that to even know you are in trouble.

Well it’s cooled off some. It’s in the low 90s - high 80s which is bearable. However, I’m working with some new lights which I like. The thermal unit I intended to use was dead. Then when I went to check my zero and verify my DOPE the photo below tells the tale. It’s a no-go tonight. My holds were off and I ultimately I have to swap scopes to something with an illuminated reticle. I’m not shooting at living animals when my pre-hunt paper target looks like this.
IMG_0848.jpeg

#1 was from 50 yards
#5 was from 25 yards, #4 was from 30 yards, #3 was from 43 yards. All shot off a bucket and trigger stick bipod.

I do like how this bullet trap is holding up though.
IMG_0849.jpeg

Here’s the setup I’ was attempting to work with. I will be removing the SWFA scope for night hunting. I need an illuminated reticle if I’m not using a digital scope.
IMG_0853.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
@Ranchibi Stay safe out there. I didn’t even know of y’all got those types of storms out there. It’s hitting SoCal right?

@N2 Shooter I didn’t intend to do any moving around. I’m not sitting in a blind either. Just me and my gear sitting in what’s out there. I just want to be downwind in this heat. Pigs don’t really seem to see well. I’m more concerned about getting busted off of my scent. It’s like odor control is out the window in this weather. In Thai humidity once I sweat m, I’m going to be wet until I get under some a/c. Minus the sun, it’s not pouring out of me. In the daytime I have worked a 10-14 hour day on the low end of extreme heat and probably pissed once after drinking who knows how many bottles of water and Gatorade. Since this permission is in proximity to a road, the Sherriff’s deputies, and the person living on the place knows where I am I think I’d be ok. I’m more concerned about getting rushed by a boar or a sow with babies in tow or running across a venomous snake. This pond is a lively area in this heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
Snakes are a legitimate concern and yes you will get attacked! By ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes. But not by any hog the only time they pose any threat to you is when you wound one and follow it. With your weapon of choice although more than adequate to get the job done I would advise you when trailing a run off to use extreme caution. And don't depend on your choice for any protection because it's not. To do so especially in the dark would be exceedingly unwise. When a hog attacks it tries to knock you off your feet they are a smart animal. Once he has you on his level they will indeed rake and slash at you with its tusk. But what does the most damage and it's main weapon is to stomp you with its hooves that much weight with powerful legs will put a serious hurt on you right quick. Luckily even wounded ones rarely attack but it happens with enough frequency you should always be aware that it could. If you trail enough of them it will. Useing a airgun only increases the odds of you someday experiencing it.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@fuznut Thanks for the input. Some of what you posted sounds familiar. I’ve only hunted hogs a handful of times in my life and we used dogs when we did until I began tryin my hand at it alone in recent years. I can’t say that I’m a hog hunter. And I’ve never been rushed by one. When I was a boy I was given advice from couple of guys and it’s consistent with staying on your feet and avoiding their tusks. They are strong animals with powerful neck muscles. I’m bound to make mistakes while hunting. It does happen, I only aim to ensure that the likelihood of me making a seriously costly error or poor judgement call remains very low.

Ya, winter / cold dont come you kill somthing like deer or hog its 80+ deg. I just cant see how i can kill, get it home, skin,clean , cut it all up nice , wrap it and get to n the freezer before things start turning ( blood/ meat) spoiled ..
Field dress and ice, but I wouldn’t eat every hog that I shoot either.

@Ezana4CE - As much as I am all about shooting game with a PCP, I take a 9mm sidearm with me for that rare chance I will get a hog attacking after a missed "kill shot" As @fuznut clearly has "been there, done that" if you are going after the large male or female and don't drop it with the first shot, be extremely careful tracking it. I've had friends that shoot using thermals and high powered multi-shot rifles tell me tales of being charged by a wounded hog. Smaller hogs and piglets aren't as much a danger unless you piss mom off!

And you are correct about their sight. They will smell you before they see you!

Reactions: N2 Shooter
@Pfddi Thanks for that. I’m after mom which is a reason I’m taking precautions. I’ve got her on camera enough to have an idea what I’m up against. No tracking at night at this location unless she crashes just inside of the brush. If she rushes I have an idea of what to do. Worse case scenario she’d get knifed which would be ugly. At that point protecting my neck, nuts, and abdomen would be the priority while on the ground. My advantage would be catching them in a location where the geographical layout neutralizes their physical advantages. If I shoot them from the other location I can get rushed very swiftly. In which one option for me would be to jump into the water.

@Hateful McNasty These weather patterns have been out of whack over the last couple of years. The heat we’re experiencing now is pretty normal though, maybe a few degrees higher than usual. I’d like to get out there tonight, but it may be a little hot for my taste. I’d like to see temps drop below 93F by 9:30-10pm. Unfortunately, if I don’t go I’m sure they’ll be there. This is the kind of weather in which they need to hug the shade, water, and mud.

Last edited:
My woman was bitten by a hog, turned around, punched it in the face, and took off running. It didn’t catch her. I’m not trying to be that person, but I think I should be ok going in with a plan. If the shot I want doesn’t present itself or the situation doesn’t seem like advantageous, I don’t see the point in taking an unnecessary risk. I have no qualms about remaining still and letting them walk.

I’m not trying to take off running in the dark and risk falling if I can avoid it and really don’t want to jump in the pond. If I had to choose between the two I think I’d take to the water a lot quicker than most other options in a balls-to-the-wall scenario. Really I’m looking for a specific broadside shot. If the hog presents itself for me to take the shot I’m looking for, I am confident that I will not miss the kill zone. That’s it. This isn’t “Survivor.” I’m not playing games with live animals. I want to drop this sow with one shot. Hearing her crash will be enough for me. I don’t want to eat her.