• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Redwolf magazine problem

Yes, the index pin has been removed and you cannot use the old style magazines in your new RedWolf.

However, it may be possible to install an "old style" index pin into your new Red Wolf and use your older magazines.

For folks with the older style magazines (with index pin), we cannot use the newer magazines unless we swap out the index pin.

I'm in the opposite situation. I've invested bucks into the older style magazines and if I switch over to the new style, my older ones are no longer usuable in my Red WOlf.

No, it is under the breech. Look on the breech with no magazine and you will see a silver plate with 2 black screws in it. THe old style index pin will pop up and advance the old style magazines. This part breaks a lot and also in my opinion, may degrade accuracy. THey ditched this pin and put something in that wont protrude out to hit the magazine (to advance it).

To use old style magazines in New style Redwolfs your first shot is fine. Then every subsequent shots require cocking removing magazine pressing that silver bar under the mag to click the next round then put back in gun close the lever point it at your intended target them FIRE!!! then repeat remove mag click that silver bar underneath mag to go to next round and so on... Still useable but quick once you get your thumb in correct position when sliding it in and out of the breech each time it's cocked when you click the bottom of mag to index next round. If gun doesn't fire snick that side lever all the way back twice like clicking a mouse in between shots while the side lever is already open do a double tap without closing the lever.

I was going to order the CARM Magazines. I read they require a few more mm clearance than the Daystate magazines. I have an Aztec FFP on some "High" Hawke mounts. The way it is set up for my shooting, the bell is right over the breech and the clearance is very very tight. I would enjoy the economy and accuracy of the CARM mags but dont want to mess with my scope settings. Same with the Rowan SIngle shot loader. Says you need more than a couple of mm extra clearance.

5thumbs,

I measured the height of both Carm and Daystate magazines that I have.

In .22 The Carm is actually 1.82 mm shorter than the Daystate. This is the new gen, flip open Daystate with no pin hole.

In .177 The Carm is .89 mm higher than the Daystate.

Don't know which caliber you are shooting, but the .22 Carm would not be a problem The .177 is slightly less than 1 mm higher, so you would have to measure your clearance. But all your problems are solved with the Carm magazines.

Hopes this helps.

Yes, the index pin has been removed and you cannot use the old style magazines in your new RedWolf.

However, it may be possible to install an "old style" index pin into your new Red Wolf and use your older magazines.

For folks with the older style magazines (with index pin), we cannot use the newer magazines unless we swap out the index pin.

I'm in the opposite situation. I've invested bucks into the older style magazines and if I switch over to the new style, my older ones are no longer usuable in my Red WOlf.

Actually, for owners with the old style actuator pin in their rifles, the new magazines are interchangeable. The reverse is not true; if you have the pin/plug in your action, the old style magazine will not advance. For those wishing to use the new magazine exclusively, installing the pin/plug makes sense, as the pin is point of possible failure, prone to eventual breakage. 

Take care when using the new mag with the old gun, there have been a few where the pin has jammed in the upward position and the mag cannot be removed, gentle tapping with a mallet has cured this in some instances but not all, requiring the gun to be sent back.

Or do what real shooters do and just use the single shot tray LOL!

Best I can determine, there is no greater risk of the pin breaking (causing a jam) with the new style magazine. There have been cases of this happening with the old mag as well. I see one practical difference. Both the new Daystate mag, as well as the CARM, exposes the rotating pellet cylinder in the bottom recess of the mag. If a piece of the broken pin gets stuck as the cylinder rotates, the resulting jam might be a bit nastier. What AOA recommends, and it makes sense, since you don't need the pin with the new magazine, might as well replace it with the plug and avoid a potential problem. 

Just get more of the new style mags! 😉

But seriously, AoA must have converted my rifle in their shop to the new style mag because they included an indexing pin assembly in the box. Did you get anything like this?

744532F0-81F2-452C-B819-85756A00A301.1603288625.jpeg

Take care when using the new mag with the old gun, there have been a few where the pin has jammed in the upward position and the mag cannot be removed, gentle tapping with a mallet has cured this in some instances but not all, requiring the gun to be sent back.

Or do what real shooters do and just use the single shot tray LOL!

For that kind of money you BETTER not have to single load. I guess it's a perspective thing.

Agree with odoyle Carm mags are excellent.

Do you really have to swap out the Index pin to use the newest magazine design on a rifle with the last generation indexing system? I have been running the new magazines in my Wolverine with no apparent issues. There is a relief in the bottom of the new magazines that seems to allow the rifle's indexing pin to cycle without contacting the magazine. Is there something I should be concerned about?

Do you really have to swap out the Index pin to use the newest magazine design on a rifle with the last generation indexing system? I have been running the new magazines in my Wolverine with no apparent issues. There is a relief in the bottom of the new magazines that seems to allow the rifle's indexing pin to cycle without contacting the magazine. Is there something I should be concerned about?

No, you are fine. That recess, like the one in the bottom of the single shot tray, offers sufficient clearance for the old style index pin. The issue is metal fatigue in the pin, and using it with the new mags, or the CARM, is placing it that much closer to failure. But, if I wanted to continue using both style mags, I would do as you, rather than switching out the pin or plug for one type of magazine or the other. It's not a big deal, but it's not something I want to do on a daily basis. Just have a spare pin on hand in case you need it. Something to remember, occasionally when the pin breaks, it jams up the magazine in a manner that makes it difficult to remove. If the pin is jammed hard between the magazine and breech block, I'm not sure how they get it out. Assuming the probe can be pulled out of the way, I suppose the mag could be tapped out from the side, but it seems like something is likely to be damaged in that process.