• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Red Wolf HP

Good day
Once again I am raising old issue of my guns accuracy, today I was going through its Test Report as attached. I observed that it was tested on JSB Jumbo Beast 33 grains. Interestingly I found that diameter of pellet is 5.5880 mm whereas I am trying JSB redesigned 23 grains having 5.52 mm diameter.
Do you think barrel will behave eratic with pellets having 5.52mm diameter. Please explain.

Reactions: Buckshutr
Well that is two or three shots of 10 shots open up to 1 inch or slightly less
IMO, groups of slightly less than an inch at 50 meters is not an indication of a significant problem. Is it stellar accuracy? No, and I think continued testing and attention to barrel maintenance is justified. I don't know the range of velocities you have tried, but tuning is always the first variable that I test (after verifying that the bore is in good shape). If you are getting consistent velocities with proven pellets, and accuracy is unsatisfactory, that points to you, the scope, or the barrel. If a good tuning/pellet combination isn't found, I'd return the barrel for inspection/replacement. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a good barrel that required pellet sorting to achieve good performance. You might be in the unfortunate situation of having a mediocre barrel that is never going to shoot to your satisfaction, yet is not one that the maker will replace as defective. I faced that situation several times in RF and CF benchrest. And I accumulated a collection of barrels.

I am curious just curious you should try some FX slugs... My RW .22 shoots about dime size groups 5 shots at 55 yards When you go to 10 shots the rumor is the expected group size will go up 40% to 50% from that..... You might also have to reclean the barrel after using slugs.

Also side not not sure... If this is a newer rifle say less than 1000 rounds and you feel you are getting accuracy but some fliers... Keep shooting those pellets. Many really good rifles MY FTP 900 target rifle was suggested to shoot 1K to 2K of the same pellet so the barrel gets worn in. Just an FYI. You know when something accuracy wise is just not righ and they are all over the place. If they are showing promise like most are there then you might find pellet 7 , drops in accurate, later then pellet 8 drops in accurate as well, It can be a slow process getting that many shots to go hole in hole...

IMO, groups of slightly less than an inch at 50 meters is not an indication of a significant problem. Is it stellar accuracy? No, and I think continued testing and attention to barrel maintenance is justified. I don't know the range of velocities you have tried, but tuning is always the first variable that I test (after verifying that the bore is in good shape). If you are getting consistent velocities with proven pellets, and accuracy is unsatisfactory, that points to you, the scope, or the barrel. If a good tuning/pellet combination isn't found, I'd return the barrel for inspection/replacement. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a good barrel that required pellet sorting to achieve good performance. You might be in the unfortunate situation of having a mediocre barrel that is never going to shoot to your satisfaction, yet is not one that the maker will replace as defective. I faced that situation several times in RF and CF benchrest. And I accumulated a collection of barrels.
Thank you for detailed reply' yes barrel is an iszue and company replaced one barrel' with second barrel I could not achieve best accuracy. I am using P8 setting on my heliboard and I managed to get consistent velocities up to 70 shots. I am using JSB Redesigned 25 grains, Swarovski Z5 scope, FX no limit mounts, SEB Neo front rest which I use in FTR and F class matches.
Any suggestion to exercise something new is appreciated