• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Red Wolf hold sensitive???

Ok trying to get the Daystate Red Wolf to group. Trying all types of pellets HN 21.1 5.52 and 5.51. JSB 25.3 RD are the only ones working. I tried 18.1 on low power and it hates them. The HN they group ok but not great. With the JSB 25.3 RD I get a few flyers. Then I whiched bags and the groups got better with the JSB 25.3 RD. Weird??? So the Red Wolf that hold Sensitive??? Any opinions 🤔🤔?? This was shooting at 50yards. First picture was shooting with one bag then second picture with second bag I had. I cleaned this rifle very good and have about 200-300 pellets since I cleaned it.

Screenshot_20230619_140032_Photos.jpg
a
Screenshot_20230619_162018_Photos.jpg

Cleaning and lubing the pellets lightly may stretch the time between cleanings. Less thorough cleaning at a higher frequency will result in more consistent accuracy. I will sometimes run just a single pull-through every 100 shots to stay at peak accuracy longer.

I make short strings by cutting off the head of a cheap mop. A couple of bucks gets you hundreds of these "patches". The pull-through is just very fine paracord and heat shrink tubing. works for any caliber, just more wraps or doubling of the thread. I can't take credit for it. I learned it from a wise powder burner benchrest shooter.

69283755504__64471630-31B0-472E-9A56-E2B9C6638C85.JPG

69283754500__26CF7828-AA76-4616-8A3A-701DA41E14B1.JPG

69283756951__16422B46-3189-472D-9881-A6C1887CC525.JPG

69283760651__A86E7B1C-BBF8-4E42-A5A8-2A941B22BAD5.JPG

69283764581__522433F1-38D7-4A28-8413-4ADCD3EDE4B1.JPG

69283766531__B09C3993-0793-4200-AA4B-C06B2D01E637.JPG

69283769734__001843BD-F3F0-4895-A5D5-1D7042B3CEE9.JPG

Reactions: Spartan
It should be better. My only Red Wolf comparison is shooting the JSB 18 at around 885, and it shoots great. If it's no better after cleaning the barrel, I suggest returning the barrel for inspection. The barrel that came on my RW would not shoot. AOA gave me another barrel, and it's been great since.
Screenshot_20230619_195756_Gmail.jpg

This is on low power 18.1 this is gen1 board.....

If that is on low power, then I assume you have the HP version Red Wolf, and I don't know what barrel profile is used with that rifle. A friend has one, and if I remember correctly, his shot best at 100 yards with slugs at around 960. But just so you know that barrel fouling isn't the issue, you might want to remove the barrel and give it a good traditional cleaning with a rod and brush.

I have never heard of anyone removing a barrel from any gun, for cleaning. Every time the barrel is reinstalled it will be different. I never, that is right- NEVER clean air rifles, or air pistols,...only powder burners. Each to his own, for certain.
I been doing a lot of reading and apparently the Red wolf is one of those different rifles. When you clean it you CLEAN IT......one guy used (forgot the name of the chemical) but it took the "copy" out of the barrel and then it started to shoot accurate like supposed to.

We never clean air guns
I envy your experience, but I believe it is atypical of rifles and shooters demanding precision accuracy. Good barrels generally do not need frequent cleaning, and many of those are adequately cleaned with a pull-through system and with the barrel in place. Obviously, two major variables are the barrel, and the level of accuracy required. I have owned several barrels that needed occasional deeper cleaning than a pull-through achieves. If you get what you need without ever cleaning, then life is good, and I wish you continued good fortune.

Just an FYI...most of the problems with regard to airguns, and accuracy, are problems with the shooter. Many shooters "hope" to increase accuracy by cleaning, without realizing that the problem is them. Leaving the gun alone eliminates variables. It is the same, every time you shoot it. The biggest problem with accuracy remains, though..and that problem is the person pulling the trigger.
With all respect, I don't think you are recognizing the level of experience and shooting performance by many folks who have contributed to the subject of barrel maintenance over many threads on the forum. Your observation that the shooter is the most important variable is without question. The same can be said of driving skill in a race car. But if the tires are shot or the brakes are gone, you can't drive yourself out of it.

I simply do not agree. Way to many shooters spend way to much time cleaning their airguns/rifles/pistols, etc...because they are not hitting what they are aiming at...when the problem is them. If shooters spent more time on learning and practicing the basics of shooting, and worked to perfect them, they would be better off. However, most people blame the gun, or cleaning, or.....
While some of us, myself being one, may clean when it isn't needed just yet, for you to say it is never needed is ridiculous. I feel more than amply able to distinguish when my rifle has degraded accuracy. The leading I see is most frequently related to velocity. The stuff I shoot at 880 generally causes little leading so I may go a couple of tins without cleaning. The MRD's are in the 980 range for me though, and if I don't lube them, may need the barrel cleaned by 100 rounds. I remove the barrel for cleaning because it's simple on the Red Wolf or Delta Wolf and the poi is rarely affected and then only by a click or so. It's SO MUCH easier to clean thoroughly. I don't care for cleaning from the muzzle because of multiple examples of crown wear I've seen over the years.
Maybe you just don't have a need or care for the fine accuracy these rifles are capable of but in Benchrest , most clean frequently because they can see the difference.
Bob

If you're only shooting 10 M, perhaps that explains your opinion. I know I've cleaned a few 10M gun barrels, but not because of accuracy. Can't remember ever pulling lead out of a low speed barrel unless it was seriously rough. If I don't lube pellets for my Red Wolf , at 50 rounds , it has lead. At 100, the accuracy has degraded. I have similar experiences with all barrels I've used for the MRD's so far.
The ridiculous part is your claims that no one should clean an ag barrel because you don't. I certainly don't claim everyone should clean their barrel because I do nor do I tell you that you should or that you're wrong for not.
60,000 is a good year. I've probably averaged somewhere around that for the last 5 years. Hopefully each one had pleasure attached. Can't say all mine have but a good chunk were lots of fun.
As far as the OP, I don't find my RW terribly hold sensitive. The bullpups are much worse. For serious accuracy, a consistent hold is required for any rifle.
Bob

I would not say that my RW is hold sensitive. If you move the bag(s) around as mentioned above, then I would not be surprised at some difference in POI and group performance. Perhaps "movement" sensitive is a better description of what may be happening. The hold and support system that can be most consistently duplicated will likely serve you best. Many CF benchrest shooters use free recoil (or did when I was involved years ago), and nothing is touching the rifle except the shooter's finger when the shot is released. The rifle moves a lot, but it does it the same every time. Whether shooting from position, with bags, or a mechanical rest, the rifle moves when fired. And since our air rifle pellets spend a lot of time in the barrel (compared to high velocity firearms), managing movement is critical.

Have you cleaned the barrel traditionally, with a rod and brush from the breech? It might not make a difference, but I've had a few barrels that needed it. The black stuff on the patches is not unusual, nor likely affecting accuracy. Lead will show up on patches as lighter colored pieces of residue, if it comes out. Of course you might have a bad barrel. My RW came with a bad one.

Have you cleaned the barrel traditionally, with a rod and brush from the breech? It might not make a difference, but I've had a few barrels that needed it. The black stuff on the patches is not unusual, nor likely affecting accuracy. Lead will show up on patches as lighter colored pieces of residue, if it comes out. Of course you might have a bad barrel. My RW came with a bad one.
Took the barrel off. Rod and brush. Yeah it's a possibility I probably have a bad barrel which I called AOA they want be getting any in no time soon by the way it sounds.