• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Domination at EBR?!!!

I seem to remember that the scores were higher the last couple years.

Was the wind more of a factor this year?

I thinking that in general it's the people that put in the time, and energy into preparing for the competition that win. 

Today's quality guns have less of an effect on the competition results than the environment, and practicing in as many conditions as possible.

I'm also thinking that finding the gun(s) that you're most comfortable with shooting is important for us average shooters. For me the FX Crown fit the bill, but not necessarily true for anyone else. 

I can illustrate that with my personal experience with the FX Impact.

When I first got the Impact I was frustrated that I couldn't shoot it as well as the Crown. It's taken me months, and expensive accessories to get to where I'm happy with my results. Happy.....but still not equal to my ability to shoot the Crown.

Both of those guns are very high quality. But I shoot the Crown much better.

My point is that with manufacturer, and retailers sponsorship, I'm not sure we're seeing the best from our top shooters, or ourselves. We seem to embrace brand loyalty over what works best for us personally.

Kinda like the Ford vs Chevy arguments with pickup trucks. A ridiculous and pointless waste of time (especially since Dodge is clearly superior). 

:)

Putting in the work with a rifle your most comfortable & knowledgeable with, combined the weather conditions, and a bit of luck are the primary elements of winning.

Reactions: Macros
Question (since I'm not familiar with the Bantam Sniper): what barrel (make and type) is on that gun? Are these LW barrels? Polygon? Just curious.

Sean

Id imagine its the same barrel as my red wolf. I asked what barrel my redwolf had and people said it was the lothar walther polygonal barrel.

I don't think that a factory Bantam comes with the polygonal rifled LW barrel. There is no where that I have seen specs state it. If it did come with the poly LW I'm sure they would state it in the specs as it is a feature that would boost sales. With that said, I would not be surprised one bit to know that Claudio's Bantam has a poly LW barrel installed.

Given that Claudio resides in Patagonia,I would venture a guess that the particular weather conditions he encountered at the EBR event was nothing out of the ordinary for him. In the video review he mentioned that the wind was gusting to 50 kmph. On another dav under dissimilar conditions another shooter may have excelled. But yeah ,25 gr monsters at 955 fps with accuracy is impressive indeed.

Claudio's trigger technique is interesting - it's not the slow, gentle squeeeeeeze until release that is often trained with powder burners. It's more of a quick jab. That surprises me.

you that's a good observation when I had my bantam it seemed like I set trigger more like a single to get it as light as posable and for me the quick pull was more accurate for me with that platform hey if it works keep doing it, nice looking colors he was shooting also

It's quite funny to read things like a brocock bantam won this, daystate redwolf won that, FX impact won another thing. The shooter wins the event, it's not like the gun is there shooting and the shooter is only feeding it pellets while eating a sandwich in a nice laid back position and just chilling. The gun will only be as accurate as what the shooter is capable of. Claudio is a top class shooter and shoots in circumstances some of us won't even think about to shoot in but to make the best of this you need to train and tinker with the gun to do just that what in needs to do according to you and get the best out of it. Nobody will be able to buy a gun and win everything, you need to work on yourself and the gun so that it will suit you. Buying a gun only because it has won a match is a dumb thing to do because it will most likely make you regret it after a while because it's not doing the same thing as that competition gun.

What Claudio showed very clearly is that you don't need a top end (price class related) rifle to compete and win, you need skills, the knowledge to tinker and tune and to find things it's doing wrong to be able to fix it. There is more than tuning the HST and reg pressure to the right speed, the most important tuning that needs to be done is tuning the shooter to the rifle and filter out as many shooter errors as possible. Only if you filter those out you will be able to enjoy the potential of a rifle and fully see what tuning the internals can deliver in terms of accuracy.

broekzwans, what you are saying is mostly true. What is absolutely true is, what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. 

Once one has honed their skills, they need to look for equipment that they are most comfortable with and very importantly, confident with. Equipment matters a lot. Most competitors do not want to give the competition any advantage over them. If there is better equipment out there, most want it in their hands.

Don't think that Claudio's Bantam wasn't top shelf; custom tuned and fitted with a LW polygonal rifled barrel I'm certain wasn't cheap. He did awesome with it. He was prepared and I'm sure confident. He deserved to win as he and his equipment were the best on the day.

Everything matters.

The foolish mistake is to think that it's only the shooter, or only the rifle, or only the pellet. It's a SYSTEM, and when all are top notch, wins can happen.

The reason the rifle and other equipment is of interest is because no matter how skilled the shooter is, if the rifle/scope/pellets aren't up to the skills of the shooter, the shooter won't be able to achieve at his/her peak.

I can never understand people who criticize those who are interested in what rifle a competitor won with. As if they are so naive that they think buyers think that all they have to do is buy a certain rifle and they can win competitions. Is anyone here that stupid? Don't think so. 

Most here with any brains know well that buying a certain rifle won't allow a shooter to win a competition. Having refined shooting skills, extensive shooting experience, combined with a rifle that is up to the skills of the shooter can produce a top competitor!

So yes, the rifle does matter. And so does everything else! That is the reason people are interested in what rifles were used to achieve the top scores. Having interest in those rifles does not imply that people are discounting the role the shooters themselves play!

Red Wolf and Bantam Sniper sales will most certainly see an uptick as a result of this competition. Not because buyers assume that having one of these rifles will automatically make them a "top shooter" - but simply because buyers like to have equipment that is respected by top shooters and has been shown to be highly capable when in the hands of a good shooter.

Reactions: Glem.Chally
Everything matters.

The foolish mistake is to think that it's only the shooter, or only the rifle, or only the pellet. It's a SYSTEM, and when all are top notch, wins can happen.

The reason the rifle and other equipment is of interest is because no matter how skilled the shooter is, if the rifle/scope/pellets aren't up to the skills of the shooter, the shooter won't be able to achieve at his/her peak.

I can never understand people who criticize those who are interested in what rifle a competitor won with. As if they are so naive that they think buyers think that all they have to do is buy a certain rifle and they can win competitions. Is anyone here that stupid? Don't think so. 

Most here with any brains know well that buying a certain rifle won't allow a shooter to win a competition. Having refined shooting skills, extensive shooting experience, combined with a rifle that is up to the skills of the shooter can produce a top competitor!

So yes, the rifle does matter. And so does everything else! That is the reason people are interested in what rifles were used to achieve the top scores. Having interest in those rifles does not imply that people are discounting the role the shooters themselves play!

Red Wolf and Bantam Sniper sales will most certainly see an uptick as a result of this competition. Not because buyers assume that having one of these rifles will automatically make them a "top shooter" - but simply because buyers like to have equipment that is respected by top shooters and has been shown to be highly capable when in the hands of a good shooter.

That's indeed what you, I and a lot of other people know and how we decide to buy a certain airgun/gun. But the people I've heard and the amount of posts I've seen about: "hey I bought this gun that won that competition or that guy on youtube uses it and mine doesn't work. The gun sucks, the brand sucks (and whatever more they come up with). What can I do?!? " on a lot of different forums point into the direction that a lot of people do think that way.

I'm personally interested in what rifles were used, what optics and what type of pellets but I know that buying the same equipment won't automatically bring me the same result. I like it when people are inventive, do something unexpected and work their butts off to achieve a certain goal. I've tested and helped quite some people with "problems" with their airguns and in most of those cases the shooter himself required the biggest improvement, equipment failure were the other part of the problems.

Claudio shot very well! He was using a modified Brocock for those who are interested. Increased air chamber to get the power needed for the 25gr JSBs, and a non-standard barrel (I think he used the barrel from a red wolf). He practices in crazy wind in Patagonia so he handled the wind very well in the final when others couldn’t.

Excellent info. When I bought my Redwolf there wasn't much info about it on the web. Sure there was airgunnation but I was under the impression that mine would shoot the 18.1s well. There just wasn't many youtubers(1 pretty much) that had reviews on it. I hope that we get some more reviews for Daystate now that they have gotten some recognition in EBR. Also, perhaps its time that we revisit the .22 pellets :).

I don't even think the Monster redesigned were even out during this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2TXwaJ3y0