• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Day state Red Wolf velocity consistency and accuracy..

Hello, I'm new to the air gun world and recently purchased a Red WolfHi power in .177. I'm shooting the 16.2gr Beasts and they were shooting around 940-965 fps. Accuracy was realistically 1/2" at 25 yds, not good. I took it to AOA and had them do a retune on it. They throttled the hi power setting down to push that pellet between 885-913, and accuracy is a better but not where I think it should be shooting. My question is this. I'm seeing a velocity spread of about 28fps. Now, a little about my background, I build long range hunting rifles. I spend hours and hours tuning guns and developing loads. You can't get consistent accuracy without velocity consistency. With the loads I develop for the guns, I strive to reach a 10fps max spread and by doing that usually makes the rifle a sub 1/2 moa gun. Can anyone tell me what kind of velocity spreads I should be getting with this Red Wolf? Hunting rifles or air guns, they all have barrel harmonics and if the projectile does not exit the barrel at the same time every shot, you can chase your tail forever. I use tuner brakes on some of my rifles and most of the time they work. I installed one on my red wolf and it helped considerably, basically by minimizing the barrel movement. It would be much better with velocity consistency. I feel I should be able to shoot 10 shots at 25 yds and clean the X ring outta there in perfect, indoor conditions. Is the realistic? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to shoot Benchrest with this gun but its not there yet.

IMO 28 fps is a bit of a wide spread, but could be possible for unweighted/sorted pellets. The 16.2gr should be able to shoot better than that @ 25 yards, but maybe not. Sometimes barrels just don't like certain pellets.

Have you tried the Low and Medium settings to see what speeds it sends the 16.2gr pellets?

I think you would do well to try some slugs out of that HP 177 though. If you look up threads by @SorenDrost you might find some useful information - he shoots a lot of HP 177 and has some really good success with 177 slugs. With the HP 177 you almost have too much power for pellets - it's worth looking into the 13/16/20gr slugs out there.

I have a 177 Standard Red Wolf and my groups with the new Benjamin Single Die 10.5gr pellets @ 880 fps are around 1/4" - 1/2" out to 50 yards depending on the wind. They could be worth a try on Low power.

Reactions: SorenDrost
I shoot JSB 13.43 redesigned pellets on low power in my .177 RedWolf HP and they will go into the same hole at 25 yards when shooting off of bags.
The 16.20 grain JSB beast is also very accurate in my rifle.
Definitely try them on low power, when I shoot either of these pellets on high power they lose their accuracy.
I shoot the 13.43 knockout slugs on high power and they are amazing out to 130 yards. I haven’t tried further yet.
I also love to shoot at 70 yards on low power at a steel sheet, and you can see the impacts pile up on each other.
it’s amazing how accurate these rifles are.
Hopefully you’ll find excellent accuracy on low power with the pellets!

I just did a 10 shot chrono string with my .22 standard power RW, using the JSB 18: AV 908, ES 7. That is consistent with my general recollection of its performance. So yes, an ES of 24 seems a bit wide. That said, don't necessarily expect enhanced consistency to fix your short range accuracy issue, although granted, I would want it better for longer range BR shooting. Every single gun-related accuracy issue I've had was somehow related to the barrel. My Red Wolf was awful as delivered, and AOA sent me a new barrel, one that they had shot and proven, and it has been excellent since. My guess, you might have a couple of things involved here, the barrel, and something internal. Whatever is done with the programming or valve, I would remove the barrel and give it a thorough cleaning. Just my opinion, and it's probably worth a really bad cup of coffee. Good luck.

Reactions: oledawg
I’ve been following your thread as I have a recently purchased Red Wolf HP .22 that I also took back to AoA. Shane worked on it and had to polish the barrel extensively was the word Darren used. He had ½" groups at 50 yards. I brought it home and it was definitely shooting better but not up to my expectations. Reading some other threads someone mentioned the tissue test…DOH I haven’t check that, sure enough my breach seal was blown. Luckily I had some and replaced it, passed the tissue test. Haven’t shot it yet wanted to post this first.

Thanks for all the replies. Talked to Shane today and he's going to get to the bottom of it. After shooting 3000 pellets in the last 4 days, I've had enough. At 25yds indoors and sitting solid as a rock, never consistent. When the trigger breaks, my dot never moves or leaves the X, but the pellet is there probably 30% of the time. When its not there, it can be anywhere within the 9 circle, as far out as half a pellet on the line. I've shot the gun every way possible, free recoil, under slight duress, hard duress, nothing. He has stated that the 16.2 JSB's are not very good performers and that the hi power is more of a hunting setting. I weight sorted 1500 of the 16.2's and what a disturbing find. I found pellets a low as 15.99gr all the way up to 16.55 in the same tin. With weight sorting and staying within .05gr, I've found that you can get the ES under 10, usually 8, with a SD around 2. But still no consistent accuracy. I've tested it with 13.43's on mid and low power, no better, pretty much the same. I've tried the 16.2 on mid and low, no difference. the 10.34's on mid and low. I haven't found any combination that I would feel good about taking it to a benchrest shoot. I've tried two tuner brakes, they helped. I've had an easier time tuning a 300 RUM that knocks your fillings loose every time you pull the trigger and the crosshairs end up looking 3 feet to the left. So, again being new to airguns, am I unrealistic in assuming that at 25yds in perfect conditions and sitting solid that cleaning the x outta the middle is possible every shot? If AOA can't get this red wolf shooting, who makes a gun that can?

Well, you could buy a $399 programer. Or you can order a Heliboard from Jack. Either one is good but I prefer the heliboard it has 12 power settings. I just purchased one about 2 weeks ago. Made the world of difference with my 25 caliber Redwolf.
Hi are you able to pass me jacks details please , so i can order a heliboard . thanks in advance :)