• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DAR DAR Gen 3 regulator?

I've never owned a regulated PCP before, so maybe this is typical, but I'm having some wild (imo) velocity fluctuations. After filling up the air tube all the way, my first shot with FX 15.9 pellets is around 870 fps then will steadily climb up for the next 30-35 shots or so until it maxes out around 930 fps before it falls off the reg and velocity quickly drops. The only other PCP I own is a Gamo Arrow. Although it isn't regulated, the velocities I get for 40 shots from full only vary around 25-30 fps (735-710/705 fps). Granted, even though the velocities are way more consistent with the Arrow, it isn't nearly as accurate as the DAR even though I'm getting around a 60 fps spread in 30ish shots from full with the DAR.

Is this typical of a DAR Gen 3 or is mine defective in some way?

If you haven’t already done so, the first step with a typical regulated PCP is to adjust the hammer spring tension to be in harmony with the regulator setpoint. To do that, start by finding the velocity plateau…the maximum achievable velocity. In half turn increments, increase the hammer spring tension (HST) until the velocity no longer increases. On a DAR, the adjuster is the large cap at the back of the receiver…when you turn it clockwise, you’re squeezing the hammer spring, putting more preload on it.

You should reach a point where continuing to increase HST does not produce any meaningful increase in velocity. And then once you’ve found the max, dial it back to about 97% of the maximum. So let’s say it tops out at 940fps, dial it back to about 940*0.97 = 912fps.

When adjusted in this manner, the extreme spread will tighten up. If for some reason it’s still not acceptable, report back and we can help guide you toward other things to check.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaky2
If you haven’t already done so, the first step with a typical regulated PCP is to adjust the hammer spring tension to be in harmony with the regulator setpoint. To do that, start by finding the velocity plateau…the maximum achievable velocity. In half turn increments, increase the hammer spring tension (HST) until the velocity no longer increases. On a DAR, the adjuster is the large cap at the back of the receiver…when you turn it clockwise, you’re squeezing the hammer spring, putting more preload on it.

You should reach a point where continuing to increase HST does not produce any meaningful increase in velocity. And then once you’ve found the max, dial it back to about 97% of the maximum. So let’s say it tops out at 940fps, dial it back to about 940*0.97 = 912fps.

When adjusted in this manner, the extreme spread will tighten up. If for some reason it’s still not acceptable, report back and we can help guide you toward other things to check.
I have not done that. I've left it exactly the same as I received it with the exception of adding a scope. Hopefully, I'll have some time tomorrow to fiddle with it. Thanks!