• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Customer Reviews on Air Guns

I am a old Geezer who just bought a Air Rifle. I spent WEEKS reading and trying to make a "informed choice" before I plunked my money down.

After reading HUNDREDS of Customer reviews on several sites about different rifles I have decided the "Customer Review" is not trustworthy. I don't know if the reviews are "faked" or if EVERYONE who buys that particular rifle is so proud of there decision they all leave a 5 STAR review on anything from very low end to the high end rifles.

once in a great while you will see a rifle with 3 stars, most of the time it is because there is only 1 Customer Review.

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy USING the Rifle is the best person to get the review from; However, can ALL these Rifles deserve a 4.5 to a 5 STAR review?

What say you?

Old Geezer

Anyone can say anything online whether true or not. Talking face to face with real owners is always best, and trying out their stuff is even better. Having said that, there are a number of solid proven designs out there that just about everyone has good experiences with. Examples would be the R9/HW95, RWS 34, HW77, TX200, R7/HW30s etc. When it comes to Chinese or Turkish made stuff, best to get info from someone you trust. I got a lemon myself by trusting the owner reviews on Pyramyd Air about a Chinese made Beeman. It was a turd plain and simple, though I learned a lot and got re-addicted to airguns in the process, not sure if that was a good thing or not, lol!
John

People vary. After reading hundreds of reviews, I would expect you'd see the difference between a "I just got my airgun yesterday and I'm so excited" review and a "I've shot many and am not writing this in the heat of the moment" review.

It's also possible that the rifles you're looking at are genuine 4.5 to 5 star rifles. The more expensive ones tend to be very good indeed.

'know what else to watch out for: sponsored professional reviews. Those guys know what they're doing, but they tend to minimize or haze over drawbacks while emphasizing the good parts. Gotta read between the lines.

"Smaug"People vary. After reading hundreds of reviews, I would expect you'd see the difference between a "I just got my airgun yesterday and I'm so excited" review and a "I've shot many and am not writing this in the heat of the moment" review.

It's also possible that the rifles you're looking at are genuine 4.5 to 5 star rifles. The more expensive ones tend to be very good indeed.

'know what else to watch out for: sponsored professional reviews. Those guys know what they're doing, but they tend to minimize or haze over drawbacks while emphasizing the good parts. Gotta read between the lines.
What he said!

I have done the same thing, looked and read- viewed videos. It's a gamble either way. I did not want to come here and come of as cynical or negative but sadly that has been my journey so far with air rifles. In the process now of sending a Walther Terrus back because of issues with it. For those of us who are on a limited budget there aren't a lot of choices.

Seems it is Junk choice A, B, or C. Although I will say that it is sad when an old Crosman 2100B out-shoots a Walther Terrus at 10 yds.
I'm beginning to think the reviews on major sites are poop too. Not all of us can begin to afford a PCP air rifle or something very expensive. It's a shame Air rifles are becoming like everything else, where only the wealthy can enjoy it. Not knocking anybody that has the expendable income, I am however knocking the companies who could put a small amount more of quality into a build that we are already paying for.

I sense that current owners of a particular airgun give glowing reviews because giving a bad review would reflect badly on their judgement. Not many like to admit that they made a mistake. That same person, after selling said airgun, is more likely then to give an objective review. Sponsored reviewers know how their bread is buttered and are least trustworthy in my experience. They focus on emphasizing the good aspects of a gun. I always balance what they say with other owners who have owned, used extensively, and then sold these guns. These are the ones most qualified and willing to give a comprehensive and honest review, and are most willing to talk about the negative aspects not previously disclosed.

One final thought, I steer clear of manufacturers who give any sort of compensation to customers willing to offer favorable reviews of their products. One such manufacturer is ATN, manufacturer of the troubled ATN X-Sight line of digital night vision scopes.

I say, don't give me the superlatives, give me the facts. And I always get suspicious when someone present tight groups at 100 yards, and in the same sentence talks about shifting wind conditions left/right and so on..... Tells you that this rifle do not shoot straight doesn't it? (Unless the shooter confirm that he compensate for the wind. That is something else).
Do not misunderstand, if someone says he love the gun, or hate the gun, and give the reason for this, than it is a fact in that persons mind. But be specific and do not forget; what someone like or dislike, you may have the oposit experience and feeling about.
..........bulpupdesign, illuminated retickels, adjustable power, monster scopes on airguns - and even $ 350 scope mounts, iron sights vs laser sights, SFP vs FFP, over priced bipods......... The list goes on and on - LUCKILY 

Man you guys make EXCELLENT POINTS !!! I wish when I first got into airguns heavily I would have been a little more aware that most video reviews are basically long commercials. 
Jeremy's point about the initial impression review is 100% dead on the mark for me . Ive read several follow up reviews after someone has lived with a gun or accessory for a while and I love hearing if there are issues . It gives a better sense of what to expect to me .

This is definitely one of those sour subjects. I find a mix of all of the above to be true. I also think that perhaps, if you give a bad review, then it will be difficult to sell said gun forward. I have also seen where more than 2-3 folk I have learned to trust here, have glowing reviews for the Gamo Urban, and I thought it was an aberration, an absolute POS not worth of even $199. So does this reflect badly on me? or them? Could be neither, different perspectives I suppose. Also even though these reviews are suspect, I have also noticed that some very popular and or high end rifles have almost zero reviews at AoA for example. The lack of reviews also bothers me as I have zero to go on. 

I agree with JohnL57 on his choices and yes be skeptical on air rifles specially with high velocity's 1500fps as an example.I had a rws model 34 177cal great springer then bought a rws model 48 177 that couldn't hold a group over 10 yrds because of excessive power (1100fps) even with h&n silver point 11.57gr pellets. One important lesson I learned to much speed destabilizes pellets rendering even the best brands inaccurate.

How I choose:
1. accuracy (perceived) unless your doing the shooting, who knows!
​2. trigger
3. loudness (only 2 or below) silence if possible
4.weight. I'm not carrying a hog leg around with me. however, if your ONLY going to be BENCHREST shooting. weight shouldn't be a factor.
5. cost. I don't really car because I can afford what ever I want. (you're reading a fools wanderings!!!)
​6. reputation and recommendations. (as you were stating REMEMBER, those who sell gold claims SALT THE MINE!

I think we all get sold a bill of goods on these reviews and youtubin's .
​I think, for example, a wildcat 25 would have done me just as well or maybe better than the impact I bought. I find I'm not the race car driver I thought I was or could be1!!.

This also brings about another line of thinking. When a product first comes out a lot of buyers are leery of it, afraid of "bugs". Now let's just compare that to a model that has been out there a while. Over time how apt are they to cut corners once it has been in production a while to squeeze every penny of profit they can? On a new model they *might* be trying to get market share or get that model known to the public. Either way again I can't help but feel like it is a gamble. And just what is the problem? Is it poor workmanship due to materials? Poor workmanship due to untrained/uncaring workers? Lots of room for speculation, all I know is every time I see good reviews and buy something based on those overwhelming good reviews I seem to get the BAD ONE!! hahaha

This all reminds me of that video JoeWayneRhea (should be JOHN WAYNE RHEA--lol) made with that cheep Ruger. He got complaints on one of his videos that he was being unfair to the Ruger so he borrowed one from a friend and shot it (even using the VAUNTED Artillery Hold) and could not get it to group. I checked the "Customer Reviews" on that rifle it is 4.5 to 5 stars! Here is the link to the video:

I have "struck a nerve" on this, so I know I am not the only one who has questioned these "reviews".

I think there are several possibilities of haw a bad rifle ends up with 4.5 or 5 stars:

1. The seller doesn't publish the bad reviews or at least some of the reviews are put up by the seller/manufacturer
2. The buyers are new and have never shoot a good air rifle
3. Back where me and Joe Wayne comes from (East Texas), "we are being sold a bill of goods" by the manufacturer (or seller) of these guns. In other words; LIED TO.

My thanks to all of you who have replied, it has given me some additional possibilities to think about.

Geezer