• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Considering selling half my PCP collection as a one lump sell...may seem stupid but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon and happy Labor Day Weekend.

I have way more airguns than I need, probably like most of us on this website. I hardly shoot anymore and sorta could use the $$ now that wife and I are retired and want to do some traveling in our recently purchased used 5th wheel camper.

I have 4, maybe 5 PCP's that I'm considering selling as a group collection. Here's what I'd like to put in the classified section here in a few weeks or so:

I'll make a solid plywood box for the rifles with plenty of protection from damage. The compressor which is very heavy and air tank would ship separately in a well built shipping box. I have another exact compressor to keep, they are really really good machines and super low noise.

I realize that this is something unexpected and unheard of, I guess, but I don't want to piece meal these out in the classified section here. I'll still have more than enough airguns to keep me entertained. None of my kids would be interested in my collection if I should kick over so I'd rather enjoy the exter $$ now rather than my kids selling them without a clue how to sell them.

Most likely I'll be asking less than half the original selling price I made which sounds dumb but I want a quick and easy sell.

No auctions are allowed here and I'm not interested in that so my asking price will be fixed.

When I place the ad in a few weeks I'll post a thread here, no photos or descriptions here in the General Discussion forum.

Long post.......but oh well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's the problem, if the entire thing goes for $1000 we will all be fighting for it, but at $3000 or a little more (roughly half price on each) you'd be saddled with a bunch of stuff to turn over, and that's why a lot of these don't sell until the dealers can get down to a reasonable expected profit on the resale. For me, the Texan and BD (assume OG BD) would be the only things I'd want for really any price. I already have an OG BD, and I could rebuild the Texan into either a 50 or a 357 to match ammo that I already make. The BD I'd probably make into a 25 or 257 and see what I could do in that caliber.

That SK is of zero value to me, I'd have to wait to unload it. The Seneca, probably no interest, same for the 25. Just bought a new compressor, and no desire for a tank. I'd expect most people to have similar feelings and probably want a different combination than I'd want.

Reactions: woogie_man
I have to agree with what others have mentioned. You are going to have a very hard time selling this as one big package. They just don't move because the likelihood of someone desiring every airgun in your collection plus the compressor, etc. is low. Unless you are in a rush to sell I would post them individually since that will likely let you sell them all more quickly and also net you more $$$.

The AoA option is probably you best bet if must sell in one big lump and all okay taking a big hit.

3 separate packages would be the best option in my opinion.
Package 1- Texan, BD and SK-19
Package 2-Seneca .50, Hatsan .25
Package 3-Compressor and tank
Package 1 is for the more serious crowd. I’d agree with most as 2 of the 3 will be keepers.
Package 2 more on the entry side with the ability to hunt with the .50 if your state allows it.
Package 3 everyone needs air- priced right they will all go. Consider local pick up within a certain distance. Hopefully the buyer has a place to test, as a full tank of gas will guaranteed be cheaper than shipping.

Reactions: napairgunner
What I would do is list them individually for sale at Gunbroker. Maybe try just one and see how it goes and then go to multiple. If possible, try not to advertise 2 guns that are similar so they do not compete with each other. I would do penny auctions. Risky but that is what Gunbroker recommends and tends to get more bidders. I have had good success with penny auctions instead of using a reserve or setting a minimal price. Does get nerve racking as the high bids often come in as time is winding down. Make sure you ban sales to regulated cities and states. Put down reasonable shipping costs; don't gouge. Some including myself also ban non rated bidders or ask them to jump thru hoops as they are more likely not to honor a bid and cost you time. If you can get a way to accept credit cards, that will also interest more bidders. I have always accepted USPS money orders only. However personal checks are possible with sufficient safe guards.

Most importantly, I would inform the members of this website in both the traditional and classifieds of this sale and upcoming sales. I would also inform members of Air Gun Warriers and any airgun websites you can find. I think one of those forums have a list of air gun clubs, I would send each club a letter about the sale and upcoming sales. Basically advertise as much as you can. Include many good pictures and group sizes with distance they were shot if you got them and information on the gun that a buyer may attach more value to the gun. Things like trigger pull, measured velocity, what pellet it likes etc. List all blemishes, stratches ect to show you are honest. Alway comment on bore condition. It seems to me that an excellent bore condition raises the sold price on the gun. Say things if true that it is a good shooter. Mayby put down what you paid for the gear. Include extras to increase value if you can. Basically you want to get accross to the buyer that you are honest and this is not a scam. Beware of scams though.

It is a pain to become a registered as a seller on Gunbroker. You have to fill out a form and send in 2 identification pieces. Then you wait for approval. I am thinking of doing the same selling technique (maybe with less marketing) for my WW2 gun collection to get to a single caliber. Gunbroker is for firearms and ammo but a bunch of stuff is listed there. You could do the same on Ebay but they are more restrictive to list air guns. On both websites, I have seen airguns go for low and high prices. You could use an auction site like Monterose Auctions to sell the guns. They do all the work to auction them off and then take a commission. Something that could prove useful if you die and leave a bunch of guns for your loved ones who do not have the time or interest to deal with your collection. What I am doing. Baker Airguns may buy them from you and maybe give better prices than AOA. Anyway whatever you do, advertise the sales as much as you can.

Last edited:
He would have to be a moron to let it go for a $1000 lol.

Fastest way to get rid of it is to sell it to a dealer like AOA. They will low ball the hell out of you BUT it will be done quicker than posting on any site. My offer will likely be in between what you will ask and what AOA would offer you.
You will be taking a loss in any of the posted examples… How big a loss is “the” question? Account for your time in posting and dealing with multiple “dead end” inquiries on multiple websites, etc. Packing, shipping, phone time, etc. The above seems to be the quickest way out… Ripping off the bandage, and being done, Ouch!

The OP sounds like a Realist, understanding he'll have to take a BIG financial hit to entice any potential buyer(s) into buying several items they are not interested in. It still won't be a cakewalk, which he is also aware.

Good luck, CH; hope it goes well. You're a good man to not leave it to your survivors to dispose of all your stuff.

Reactions: cross hair
Going into winter and half of this country (USA) are going to be inside for months. No need to have a new gun sitting when you can't use it until March.
Yea, I hear ya. Guess I'll just do nothing for now and wait till next year. I sorta went off the tracks over the years so to speak about buying these guns and accessories. It's totally out of my system now for sure.
Thanks again everyone for the input and wake-up call.

Status
Not open for further replies.