• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cold here in Texas, so my son and I got creative with our air rifles ...

It is freaking cold over here in DFW (at least for us in the South). It was 36F is inside of the Garage, and 24F is outside:

We had a "left over" giant Gummy Bear. And I mean giant - like 1 pound or so!. Didn't taste good (shocker, right?), so we have most of the body left for something....

Since it had that "soft but firm consistency", I thought this might be "similar" to ballistic gel (or close enough), so I told my son (recently hooked on Air Guns): do you want to learn what different type of pellets do? He of course agreed with a smile :)

We shot it with .177 pellets (Crosman M4-177, FWB 602, and Beeman R1), and then with my son's Benjamin Discovery in .22. It was of course with the .22 (at about 16-17ftp) that we had most "fun". It was educational for him to see first hand hollow-points expanding!. The Crosman Premier round/hollow-points are of course harder lead, so did not expand much, but when we tried the Beeman Crow Magnums, my son was shocked at how little penetration it got - once we "cut" them out of the "ballistic gel", he realized why (L to R - Crosman, then two of the Crow Magnums):

Block is still useful, so I am sure we will practice some more with it before we finally throw it away!

Will

Reactions: Michael