• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cleaned out pellet trap

Finally cleaned out my home made pellet trap as it was getting heavy. Just over 8 lbs of .177 pistol pellets.

DSC04783a.1599100657.jpg

DSC04784a.1599100677.jpg

DSC04785a.1599100692.jpg

I never answered the "worth your while" part of the question. That's a tough one to answer. Kind of depends on your values maybe. It also depends on how real that risk is, and to what degree basic safety procedures mitigate it. But let's assume for the moment that I can do this in a way that's not a high exposure risk. In this situation I would say it is worth the time expense and hassle (to keep safe I mean).

Here are my thoughts:

First I don't feel like I'm just constantly spitting out toxic material for someone else to deal with. I can recycle my lead. That matters to me for some reason, and recycling the lead feels like the right thing to do.

Second, and I can live without this, there is something satisfying about knowing that you're producing and recycling all of the slugs that you are shooting especially when they work really well. It's kind of like that feeling of personal investment or something. 

Third, As it turns out the ones that I cast shoot as well or better for my needs than anything I can buy so that's good. That's just luck I think. Proper gun - mold pairing.

Fourth, with the 8 cavity mold I'm using i can CRANK OUT the slugs. In 30 minutes (after all has melted and heated up) I can easily fill a jsb .25 cal 350 pellet tin with nearly perfect air gun bullets and half fill another.

I honestly bought the mold just for backup purposes in case I couldn't find 25 caliber pellets, I expected it to be a total pain in the butt and something I would never want to do and not worth the while except for under unusual circumstance. what I found is it's very efficient and productive and easy to do and it seems easy to keep safe. I'm actually really surprised at how worth my while it seems to be. Assuming I'm not poisoning myself.