• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Clean a new airgun barrel before using it

A nice, heavy, initial soak with Ballistol followed by a good reaming with a nylon bristled brush head has done me well with new airgun barrels. I'll pull patches through afterwards, until the black, brown, and/or red coloration disappears and then shoot until accuracy diminishes. I'll then clean it with Ballistol sprayed more lightly in the barrel and pull patches through again until its clean, and then push some pellets through and see how the bite marks appear, which determines the polishing aggressiveness.

A nice, heavy, initial soak with Ballistol followed by a good reaming with a nylon bristled brush head has done me well with new airgun barrels. I'll pull patches through afterwards, until the black, brown, and/or red coloration disappears and then shoot until accuracy diminishes. I'll then clean it with Ballistol sprayed more lightly in the barrel and pull patches through again until its clean, and then push some pellets through and see how the bite marks appear, which determines the polishing aggressiveness.

Good info!

Thank you mtnGhost

Two questions,please

What do you use for polishing? (tools & materials)

How do you interpret the bite marks on the pellet?

Thanks

Ed