• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Classic break barrel spring rifles

Burgo HW50, Luxus stock, pre Rekord-Pre Perfekt trigger, #6547View attachment 170224
Here are two I think are classics, and maybe you agree that they are a kinda alpha and omega of the original HW50 platform, a reasonably common R8, and an unusual HW55T(F) from 1956. One wonders why someone would spend the extra money on the T stock, or in the case of the Burgo the Luxus stock, but didn't want to pay for the breech lock?

IMG_6346 2.jpg

IMG_6345 3.jpg

I thought I was pretty well versed in the good stuff. I've seen more airguns I didn't know ever existed in one day here, than in my previous lifetime.

I thought all HW55 had the Breech Lock? Guess not. The reason why I bought my original HW 35 over the FWB124 was because of the breech lock, also I thought the safety was done better on the HW guns.

Randy

Reactions: MDriskill
Wow, you guys have some real beauties!

The "F" versions of the HW 55, without the breech lock, are indeed an oddity. I don't think they were ever huge sellers but were around for many years - up into the early 1970's I think. The 55 is basically a tricked-out version of the original HW 50, and "F's" were even less modified of course, basically just a 50 with a match stock and sights, target spring, and tuned trigger. All three stock variations of the day were available, there were SF (beech stock), MF (walnut target stock), and TF (Tyro) models.

I've always loved the lines of the classic HW 35. Here's an "L" from the early 70's, and "E" with original 22-inch barrel from the late 60's - the latter is a fairly new acquisition.

71F858C5-BAA8-4155-8451-9FA96C72B13F.jpeg

E2615BAD-17E6-47C2-BED5-E97FBE70C296.jpeg

Your E with the 22" bbl has some really nice wood!!! My E with 19" bbl came out of a Junk Store and I got it for $60! It had sat in somebodies closet for eons and had pink house paint all over the stock, metal was perfect after it was cleaned up. I refinished it and cleaned all the dust and dirt out of it and it shoots 1 hole at 10 yds. (with a scope mounted.)

I usually have it bare with the stock iron open sights and it is my open sight practice gun. I think the HW35's are the best guns Weihrauch ever made and they must have a soft spot for them as well cuz they are still making them now for 72 years! 1951-2023!

I thought Beeman had the Lewis and Clark gun in his collection?

Randy

Nice post OP... Appreciate all the details.

Did someone mention "Classic"?

I'm a bit of a Lewis and Clark fan/buff and have always been fascinated by the air rifle Meriwether Lewis used during the expedition back in 1804/1806.
Details about the Girandoni during the expedition

Girandoni details

Meriwether Lewis likely carried a Girandoni-style air gun, but the exact gun he owned will never be known with 100% certainty.
View attachment 319722

Sept. 8, 1803. “… He showed us his air gun which fired 22 times at one charge. He showed us the mode of charging her and then loaded with 12 balls which he intended to fire one at a time; … but when in perfect order she fires 22 times in a minute. All the balls are put at once into a short side barrel and are then dropped into the chamber of the gun one at a time by moving a spring; and when the trigger is pulled just so much air escapes out of the air bag which forms the breech of the gun as serves for one ball. It is a curious piece of workmanship not easily described and therefore I omit attempting it.”

A small tube magazine mounted on the right side of the rifled barrel held 22 .46-caliber lead balls. Gravity fed each ball into a sliding breech block that was held taut by a straight leaf spring. Performing a flicking motion with the thumb and forefinger against the breech and cocking the hammer with the off hand, the shooter could load and fire all 22 shots in under a minute.

The buttstock was actually an air tank that powered the rifle.
The thread is quite specific-

Classic break barrel spring rifles​

Reactions: crowski
Since HW 55's have kinda floated to the top, here's a few. Weihrauch offered several different stock designs over the years, each (IMHO) excellently fine-tuned for one specialty or another.

HW 55 S (or SM). Plain beech stock. Profile shape is much like the M, but in tough beech, no cheekpiece, and a bit more rounded overall. Great all-round design suitable for range and field alike. This one from Robert Law's "Air Rifle Headquarters" days was supplied with a custom Williams sight.
C5E428B1-66F5-4136-857F-2067A8AB9206.jpeg

HW 55 M (or MM). The classic walnut Bayern match stock. Perhaps the best-known variant and really lovely lines IMHO. Later ones have an accessory rail which can be a ton of fun to play with.
92E1094F-79F6-4EBB-ABD2-28865405AE27.jpeg

HW 55 T. Walnut with Tyrolean cheekpiece. Several other makers offered Tyro stocks back in the day, but to my eye Weihrauch's is the most graceful. This fairly early one has a finger-groove fore end, barrel sleeve, old-style HW diopter, and double-threaded front sight.
3103B3A1-FA06-4099-943E-57F8CCF4D2DF.jpeg

HW 55 CM. A more focused walnut 10-meter stock. It incorporates the deeper, more angular stock shape seen on many 1970's rifles, with sliding buttplate and fore end accessory rail. A lighter, more pleasant-handling gun than it looks; this tuned one with an Anschutz sight may be my very favorite 55.
F8D6DCFA-8281-4835-8961-D9FB4DF0EA48.jpeg

HWB Champ. Junior model from near the end of 55 production. A most interesting little rifle with ambidextrous beech stock, VERY short pull dimension, sliding buttplate, shortened barrel with weight sleeve, and adjustable-position trigger blade.
C1325AB3-4DA8-4390-BC37-E53730761294.jpeg

87127BAE-5B8A-45D1-9782-882E3ACA12CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Since HW 55's have kinda floated to the top, here's a few. Weihrauch offered several different stock designs over the years, each (IMHO) excellently designed for one specialty or another.

HW 55 S (or SM). Plain beech stock, profile shape much like the M, but in tough beech, and a bit more rounded sans cheekpiece. Great all-round design suitable for range and field alike. This one from Robert Law's "Air Rifle Headquarters" days was supplied with a custom Williams sight.
View attachment 320032

HW 55 M (or MM). The classic Bayern match stock, perhaps the best-known variant and really lovely IMHO. Later ones have an accessory rail which can be a ton of fun to play with.
View attachment 320040

HW 55 T. Tyrolean cheekpiece. Several other makers offered Tyro stocks back in the day, but to my eye Weihrauch's is the most graceful. This fairly early one has a finger-groove fore end, barrel sleeve, old-style HW diopter, and double-threaded front sight.
View attachment 320028

HW 55 CM. A more focused 10-meter stock incorporating the deeper, more angular stock shape seen on many 1970's rifles, and an accessory rail. Actually a lighter, more pleasant-handling gun than it may look; this tuned one with an Anschutz sight may be my very favorite 55.
View attachment 320030

HWB Champ. Junior model from near the end of 55 production. A most interesting little rifle with a VERY short pull dimension, shortened barrel with weight sleeve, and adjustable-position trigger blade.
View attachment 320029

View attachment 320036
Thanks for letting us enjoy your collection of air rifles. Always good to see those beauties

I keep coming back to this thread just to look at the pics. Such beautiful rifles! I’ll add a break barrel highbred of sorts. Say what you want but it is a break barrel spring rifle. The Diana D65, or in this case a Winchester 333.

View attachment 334296

View attachment 334297
Not a hybrid at all it's a recoilless springer, just not typically in the conversation of classics but a fine rifle.

here is my 60 & 65
190 Diana 60 Tyrolean.JPG

191 Diana 65T (2).jpg

Reactions: baranjhn and mj102
I keep coming back to this thread just to look at the pics. Such beautiful rifles! I’ll add a break barrel highbred of sorts. Say what you want but it is a break barrel spring rifle. The Diana D65, or in this case a Winchester 333.

View attachment 334296

View attachment 334297
Very nice rifles in your collection.

Is that a Walther CG90 on the wall? Nice!!!

Reactions: T-Higgs