• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing first pcp

I like the reference of PCP's as a Journey. I started my air rifle journey nearly 45 years ago with a (I think), 1896 replica BB gun. Shot 10's of thousands of rounds through it. Wore the gun out. Still wish I had it now though.

after a long shooting hiatus, got into break barrels, then a few years ago bought first PCP. Such a wonderful technology to make shooting easier. But it's so different from Break barrels and powder burners, it took time to learn, and believe me, I'm still learning. Everyone has their needs and desires for a gun, and we are all different. That's why the journey is so important, learn what is important to you, and make your own way. Ackuric sounds like he's more into hunting guns, which makes his choices perfect for him. I want bench guns, so looking for lots of shots from a tank combined with tack driving accuracy at 100 yards. I'll need to make my choices based on that. Other people will want combinations of uses that I have no clue on.

Yes, welcome to the Dark Side. A Disco or Maximus is only the start (I bought the Marauder before the Maximus came out or I may have started there). Some people like to sell and trade guns, that's not my style. I like to keep them forever and shoot everything I have. Therefore, I'm more restrictive than some on buying and selling. Others really like the buying and selling component and will go through lots of guns. It's all good.

The Marauder has been a great journey, learning about the technology and determining what I want to do in the future. You can't go wrong on any of the guns recommended on this thread ranging from the Maximus to the Impact. All will do a job, some just do it smoother than others.

Good luck on the choice, and again, welcome to the Dark Side of the addiction.

My first PCP was a FX Tarantula.. I was shooting squirrels in my back yard with a springer. (+150 /yr) Then a guy at a local gun shop handed me his Tarantula and said take this home and go have fun with it... Yes, I bought one the next week. The Tarantula was so ridiculously easy to harvest tree rats that I got bored with it..
The information on this forum is superb and I wish it had been around when I started.. 
with all the choices of PCP's on the market today it would hard to choose..I suppose it depends on what you application is. The cry once statement is so dead on in my opinion when it comes to air rifles.. 

The gauntlet should be available soon if you can wait and is a regulated bottle gun at $300.00. Based on the limited reviews so far I can't see recommending anything else in its price range right now. Don't buy into the whole "You have to spend $xxx.xx to get a real gun" argument. One of the joys of having a less expensive gun is that later if you upgrade you still have a backup and something to hand to a friend to try or to experiment on. I am lucky enough to have several PCP's at different price levels and now I LOVE taking a few guns and getting others into the sport. Think of it this way, your first bicycle was probably not a carbon fiber racer but you probably wore it out and loved it. At the end of Christmas Story the narrator says that the red ryder was the best Chrismas present he ever got or would ever get. Probably not his last gun, just sayin'...

I'm a little more conservative than to call a gun that is not available yet, with no track record a No Brainer. Yes, $300 sounds great and the reviews are good so far, but, and it's a BIG but, no one has any experience with it yet. And why is it taking so long to deliver? That's a question all on it's own.

​As for the, "You gotta spend a small fortune for a real gun" argument, no, that's not the case. Anything that throws lead down range could be considered a real gun, but how it throws the lead gets to be kinda important.

I don't consider myself a trigger snob, but a decent trigger makes the experience better.
A gun that is known to be accurate makes the experience better
​A reliable gun makes the experience better.
and so on.

​There's a price point where it all comes together for each person, but it's different for each person and their desired capabilities and functions.