• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing first pcp

I was in your shoes two months ago and I went with Benjamin Maximus 22 hunter combo. It is newer and improved discovery with synthetic stock. It has 30 shots from 2k to 1k psi and it has flatter power curve than discovery.

If you buy directly from Crosman 25% off coupon from banner still works. Orders placed on Fridays are shipped for free. So you get gun and scope for $165 shipped.

I almost went with Gamo urban 22, it has magazine and may be little quieter, but Maximus combo was better deal for me.

What do you want to do with the gun? Punch vermin or punch paper? Walk fields or bench rest? That plays into what gun works best. Will you pump or use a tank? Do you want a magazine or will single shot work? Can you afford better, such as a Marauder? 

​As for less expensive PCP's being better or worse, they just can't be expected to have all the features of a more expensive gun, or perhaps the accuracy. Gotta decide what you want to do with it before any advice makes sense.

i have to agree you will see,,hes saying it because arter a short while you will be swallowed up by the pcp gods lol ,,and yes the more you spend quality rises ,,just a suggestion and it maybe not for you ,,who knows ,,,Utah airguns has a FX Whisper synthetic rifle 16 shot mag ,,,,,Fx scope costs a couple hundred alone $735 for both together and its a Fx a top brand by far i am buying one this week at least take a look if not get the marauder its 100%times the gun as a gamo or discovery good luck let us know pat

its too bad you cant go to the local range and just see which one speaks to you. all the above is good advice but what i see missing is huge. these guns run on high pressure air. how are you going to feed the monster? if you dont have a tank or shop close or a compressor you might have to hand pump. there are other expenses and conveniences to consider besides just the gun

Yeah I'm doing my research little by little. Talking to some old buddies that are in the fire department if they can get me 1 or two air tanks. Also if they can fill them for me. If not I have a scuba shop 30 minutes away. But yeah the price is pretty up there for everything. I just want a nice quiet gun. That Diana am03 stealth is also nice and quiet. I just want one I won't want to replace in a while. 

Little research at a time is a good way to go. I did the same, and research combined with budget limitations directed me to my first PCP and general setup. I did make the mistake of assuming I could pump and keep up with the amount of shooting I wanted to do. My priority was a good gun, good trigger, accurate and quiet. Budget was a bit restrictive, so Marauder won the day. It's been a good gun.

​Spent last weekend tuning the gun. Couple hours on a chrony and I think I came up with a tune I like and even though I have a HPA bottle, I still pump to make the air last longer. Tune is 2700 PSI to around 1800 and I get about 30 usable shots. 14.3 Crosman Premier Domes in .22 at about 830 feet per second. If I have a bottle I can go to 3000 PSI and get nearly 40 shots before it dips below 800 FPS. That's working for met today, but might not be what you want.

​Next gun will be a high end of some type. Right now, Crown is the front runner. We'll see when I save the next $500 or so to get me to the gun.

​If I was buying today, I'd probably do the same thing again, as the Marauder has an excellent trigger group. You can buy an aftermarket trigger for the Maximus for $40 or $50 on eBay, but why not start out with the features? Your call.

Hey Alfonzo32, the pcp world started for me a year ago, bought the .25 marauder after reading about the green mountain barrel that comes on that gun, a new bottle, the gun shot great, omg this is what I was after a pellet stacker with no recoil and super quiet. Then......let's buy a daystate, omg nice, then.....lets buy a fx, omg nice again, shot 250 rounds with the fx wildcat this weekend, love it, can't stop shooting it, Then went and shot the marauder, does the same job as my fx when I do my part. Yes when I look at the daystate and fx and look at the marauder you see and feel the difference, I wanted a nice gun in the beginning but couldn't stomach spending the big bucks. Lots of guns out there and lots of opinions. If I had to do this all over again I still would but the marauder.....beware though, this stuff is highly addictive, no 12 step program that I know of.

yeah the more i look im leaning towards the Marauder. But now its which one the wood stock or synthetic. I got a scope for whichever one i decide to get its probaly not a great scope but ill rather spend most of my budget on the gun itself and a good air tank because i don't see myself trying to pump up the gun. id rather spend more time shooting. i feel in love with air rifles when my parents bought me my first red Ryder BB gun when i was a kid. Now as an adult i want a nice gun. 

I opted for the marauder and loved it. I loved it until I gained experience. I quickly realized it needs an SSG. So I researched that, made one and installed it. I found out that in 25 it's not as quiet as I want for my back yard So buying a moderator that has more impact then the shroud costs money. Then I got a chrony and started tunning and that can be frustrating for a new shooter. Shooting different pellets, making adjustments, documenting, starting over, string after string, its an activity and can be fun but can quickly turn into work. After all that I cam to the conclusion that I wanted a regulator. So the 500 dollar gun cost me over 850 to get it to where I was content with its performance.

Now I still have my MROD and I actually love it, but I love it because I learned on it and set it up exactly how I want it, not to mention i know it inside and our piece for piece by memory. I love it because I can shoot my 35 yard range in my yard and keep one hole. I love it because I can down crows at 70 yards and keep squirrels from obliterating my garden which is quite extensive. But even though I love it, I know for a fact that its not my ideal gun. The more expensive higher quality guns have better craftsmanship, smooth actions which has become a sore spot for my marauder, easier tunning like FX guns with full tunning ability from the outside of the gun. They have better balance, the Mrod is a heavy beast in wood, and they have higher capacity allowing for more shots between fills.

After one years worth of hands on experience, 1000 hours of reading, researching, evaluating and investing over 2500 in gun, glass, tank and equipment I feel like I'm ready for an fx impact or an fx crown as these guns appeal to me for looks performance. I wish I had just purchased an Impact from the start, I could have saved myself the 700 dollars but I am also grateful for the easy platform to learn on.

Also, you really shouldn't plan around a pump. Of all the people i know who went with a pump to save money, they all ended up with tanks. I'm sure there are people who use them but with the modern 4500psi bottles on guns, it just doesn't work. Scuba shop cost me 12 dollars to fill my tank and it gives me about 50 fills, around 50 shots per fill on my regulated Marauder.

I guess what I'm saying is I believe buying the low end guns is better left to people with experience, who know what to expect from them and how much they can expect to improve them. Where as a new shooter who doesn't know better will quickly learn that what they want isn't what they bought. There are people who will buy a entry model and never care about tunning, performance, or quality. They just want something to use and abuse, if that's you, then maybe a entry level is better, so long as you know thats what its intended purpose is.

Reactions: AirgunBill
Let me throw some more mud in the water -

Here's my definition of a low end PCP - Anything under $400 or $500 is low end. Here's why

The gun has several basic components that all come together to make the shot and feel good or bad.

1. The barrel - good quality barrels are to be had on most guns, including low end. The Maximus in 12FPE is quite accurate up to 50 yards (See AEAC review) To be honest, if a gun can't group at 50 or 75 yards, it shouldn't be on the market no matter how cheap. My Marauder is a .22, so no Green Mountain barrel, but still groups well at 75 yards when I tune correctly.

2. general ergonomics of the gun - low end, moderate and high end compare nicely there. Some of the less expensive guns have great ergonomics. No biggie there.

3. Trigger. Here's where the differences show. The lower end guns consistently get a lower quality trigger. It's because triggers are expensive, have lots of parts, and are just, well, expensive and you do need to pay a few more bucks for a better trigger. The Marauder retails for a bit over $500, but has a decent trigger. Reviews of the Maximus and Disco are a bit less flattering. Don't get me wrong, they do the job, but the Marauder trigger is better. When you move up to the FX level gun, the trigger is on a whole different plane. Light years ahead of the rest of the world.

4. Tuning. Here's an interesting one. Vast majority of low end guns have little tuning if any. Basically out of the box and shoot. Excepting the Marauder, most mid-range guns have limited tuning (if I'm correct, may not be here), and even into the high end guns, until you get to the Crown and Impact, none are as tune-able as the Marauder. The adjustable transfer port is fantastic in the tuning world. Not many guns give you the ability to tune it or screw it up like the Marauder.

5. Regulators - With the exception of the Gauntlet at $300 that doesn't seem to be available yet, you won't find regulators in anything under $700 or $800 and up. Marauder included here. If you want a regulated Marauder, they should be available in the custom shop for under $700 shortly. These give shot consistency and more shots per fill by wasting less air.

6. Magazines. - Low end guns tend to be single shot, where the Marauder and up tend to be magazine fed. That get important when hunting or even at the range.

7. moderators - lower end may lack moderators making them loud. Again, Marauder is fully moderated.

So, in short, low end guns lack the better triggers. Can't call them bad triggers, just not as good as the moderate and high end guns. They lack tuning abilities, and definitely lack regulators and often lack moderators. From what I've seen, can't complain about the barrels, though could be better, and ergonomics vary from gun to gun.

I definitely recommend the Marauder (and other mid-level guns) as an entry level gun, in full knowledge that in a year or two, your eye will wander to something more sexy, but you'll have gained experience in PCP's, and know much better what you want for the future. My eye is on a Crown, but she's a long way away. In the meantime, more range time with the Marauder.

Oh and the Marauder shoots cheap ammunition really well. Since it's a Crosman, it shoots the Crosman Premier Domes really well (stay away from hollow points, don't fly as straight.). Cheapest of the quality ammunition I've seen, and shoots well, reducing costs even more.

Wow, that made me think. . . . . . . . 

Keyman - gotta disagree. Asking someone to jump from looking at a Disco to an Impact is like taking someone currently not driving anything and recommending a Ferrari. Ferrari is a great car that will probably kill the inexperienced driver. Ya gotta learn your way into the high end guns. Besides, Alfonzo might decide he likes Daystate or something else. Jumping straight into the top end of a single brand just doesn't make sense to me. Get some experience and have some fun on the way. Learn ballistics before you try to tune the Impact for best performance. That takes time, and experience with other guns.

For almost everyone, airguns are a journey. Almost everyone starts with something inexpensive and either does upgrades to the gun, or replaces the gun with a better product. I fully understand who people enter PCP cautiously; you wonder whether the stories of improved accuracy and power are true; they are. I started with a Maximus due to it's low initial cost, and it was bundled with a pump. The other aspect was it only required 2000 PSI of air, which made it easier to pump up. I upgraded the Maximus with an additional barrel band, TKO (moderator) and an enhanced trigger. It was quite accurate in .22 caliber. But I wanted more. I next jumped to a 25 Caliber Marauder, It got a regulator, port and polish, new valve, hammer TSS (hammer spring assembly). It also got ported and polished in the barrel and transfer port to enhance air flow. But anyone with a calculator would say I turned my inexpensive Marauder into a more expensive gun. But it does shoot better/harder and with more shots than it did originally. Now, my mod-toy is a .357 caliber Bulldog. Most people go through progressions, this is normal. Some day I may jump to one of those $1300 to $2000 dollar airguns, but not quite yet. You also tend to get tired of pumping and eventually end up getting a Tank or an electric compressor; this is normal too. Welcome to the addiction, there is a reason why they refer to PCP air rifles as "the dark side", once you venture there, the progression is almost unstoppable.

I will recommend the Marauder. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing one, including looking at impacts and other rifles. The reason I bought the marauder was due to the HUGE community that supports it.

My Marauder is unique and very custom in its current state. 31"-41" collapsible stock, custom hand made valve, regulated, custom hand made stock, extended plenum, prod trigger frame, lw hammer, aluminum air tube. Now my rifle is 4.8 lbs unscoped and is unmatched by any other rifle as far as I am concerned...and I still have about half of what an impact costs invested into my rifle.

I know every part of my rifle like its the back of my hand, maybe even better. All replacement parts are available by Crossman.

If someone were to inquire about trading my custom m-rod for their impact, I would say no thanks...

-Matt