• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing between TX200, Weihrauch 97, and Walther LGU

Out of the box,

Trigger 97
Stock TX (unless you are looking at one of the laminate or thumbhole variants of the 97)
Bluing TX 
The 97 has no anti-beartrap lever which I consider a huge plus.

There are LOTS of tuning parts for both.

At the end of the day you are choosing between 2 very fine guns that are best in class.

I find the 97 less hold sensitive. If I were new to spring guns I would get the 97 first. Maybe a TX down the road. 
If you are set on the TX I just picked up a walnut one so my beech model will now be for sale. Lewismayfield at yahoo dot com.

I have only the HW 97K and LGU. Both are 12 foot pound models ordered from Krale.

The 97K still had noise and vibrations coming from the loose spring around its guide. So it needed to be tuned by adding a shim between the spring and guide to make it quiet. Trigger is adjustable down to 8 ounces without disassembly. The 97K is hard to disassemble. It shoots some pellets well (older Air Arm Diabolo Fields with larger diameter skirts) and some horribly. I used to shoot it for field target but lately it is sitting in storage for over a year now.

​The LGU was very quiet and vibration free out of the box. Very easy gun to disassemble. I had to wipe away the excessive grease around the spring and inside the compression chamber. It was dieseling. It is very accurate out of the box despite the 2.5 pound trigger. Buying and installing a Rowan trigger made it as good as the 97K trigger. It shoots most domed pellets well without fuss. I shoot the LGU for field target and been very happy with it.

​I do not own a TX 200. So I cannot comment on it.

Hi:

I own a 12 ft/lb Tx200HC in .177. Out of the box it is laser beam accurate. One single hole groups at 20 yards are the standard for this rifle. It is very holding forgiving. The wood is gorgeous and the blueing is spotless.
However I’m about to buy an HW 97K in .20 cal. A friend of mine owns one of those and after a lube tune it is deadly accurate. 
Both are top of the line airguns.

Regards
José Palma

I have the TX200 and have shot my friends 97. Both have tune kits now. Before the tunes they were accurate and both had some spring noise, the 97 more so then the TX. After the tunes both guns are still accurate, noise free and much smoother to shoot. The TX is easy to work on but the 97 is not. If you are going to play with the internals as most of us do the TX is great for that, the 97 not so much. Both the 97 and the TX are great guns and nice to look at. I have no experience with LGU, looked at it but parts seem harder to get then the other 2. 
Hope this helps. 

The Air Arms TX200 MkIII is a beautiful “bit-of-kit” as the British would say. The wood stock and the bluing are exquisite and the trigger is second-to-none. Unlike less expensive air rifles that I’ve owned, the TX200 performs consistently well and is therefore very predictable. I know exactly what to expect at different ranges and in very diverse conditions. It’s a pleasure knowing that if I do my part, the TX200 will reward me with exceptional accuracy. The TX200 is a heavy air rifle as both the underlever cocking mechanism and the barrel shroud are made of steel. Including the Hawke scope, my TX200 weighs-in at just over 11 pounds. Living in the US has provided me with the opportunity to hunt and take Armadillo, Chipmunk, Grey Fox, Possum, Porcupine, Prairie Dog, Raccoon, Rabbit, Rat, Skunk, Squirrel, Turkey and a Plethora of other birds. All this was done with head shots using my TX200 and the twenty-two caliber H&N Baracuda Green pellets. I’ve developed reasonable expectations and a good understanding of the limitations of a spring powered air gun. I’ve done my part to attain exceptional accuracy and then maintain that accuracy through proper care of my TX200. Would I recommend the TX200 MkIII; absolutely, she’s a “beautiful bit-of-kit”. The TX200 is one of the easiest airguns to work on with no special tools being required.