• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing an FX for me and my wife

"Kaan"Hi everyone,
I would like to ask for a bit of your collective wisdom.
I recently bought a Wildcat and i like it a lot.
But it doesn't fit well for my wife, since she is left eyed and needs to shoot left handed.
I am right eyed and right handed.
What FX PCP would suit us both well?
I just got a 2nd hand .177 WC and I'm a lefty. I really like the mid lever cocking on the right side of the gun. It fits me great. I can keep my hand on the grip and cycle the bolt w/o taking the gun off shoulder. There are some left handed cheek pieces available on Ebay, but the sellers seem to be really proud of them (over $50 delivered) I just started playing around with 3d stl files and found out my local library allows a FREE 2hr use of the 3D printer. I'm going either today or tomorrow to try my first attempt at a basic left handed cheek rest.
That being said I'd recommend the WC for the lefty.

"BigTinBoat"
"Kaan"Hi everyone,
I would like to ask for a bit of your collective wisdom.
I recently bought a Wildcat and i like it a lot.
But it doesn't fit well for my wife, since she is left eyed and needs to shoot left handed.
I am right eyed and right handed.
What FX PCP would suit us both well?
I just got a 2nd hand .177 WC and I'm a lefty. I really like the mid lever cocking on the right side of the gun. It fits me great. I can keep my hand on the grip and cycle the bolt w/o taking the gun off shoulder. There are some left handed cheek pieces available on Ebay, but the sellers seem to be really proud of them (over $50 delivered) I just started playing around with 3d stl files and found out my local library allows a FREE 2hr use of the 3D printer. I'm going either today or tomorrow to try my first attempt at a basic left handed cheek rest.
That being said I'd recommend the WC for the lefty.
So the magazine placement is not bothering you at all?

"Kaan"
also a lefty and it fits me perfect. Try moving the scope back a bit so she can get behind the mag with her cheek placment. 
i had a streamline and shooting off hand was much more difficult , because of the forward weight of the gun I could barely get my right hand up to cock the gun. With the weight balence of the WC I actually prefer the right hand side lever.

Kaan,

Show your wife the Crown and see what she says. FX has other guns that are ambidextrous too. It may be that she simply doesn't like the tactical look of a bullpup. Just remember that a rifle will seem front-heavy compared to the Wildcat since the weight is shifted farther forward. A rifle is considerably longer. If most of her shooting is from a bench, then she won't notice. But the extra length certainly will be noticeable for offhand shooting.

I know this is irrelevant to your question, but, my wife is a lefty and she loves my Wildcat. I'm going to get the aftermarket roll-over cheek rest for her. But she likes it just fine how it is now. I've shot my Wildcat left-handed and it's perfectly comfortable left handed. Somebody already hit on this earlier, but, it might be possible that your current scope location requires her cheek to fall at an uncomfortable spot. Try moving the scope a little bit further aft or forward. Some lefties find it awkward that the cocking lever is on the right. My lefty wife prefers it to be on the right, but your wife may not. Lots to consider.

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing more about your wife's concerns with the Wildcat.

BeemanR7

"RabbitDan"
"Kaan"
also a lefty and it fits me perfect. Try moving the scope back a bit so she can get behind the mag with her cheek placment. 
i had a streamline and shooting off hand was much more difficult , because of the forward weight of the gun I could barely get my right hand up to cock the gun. With the weight balence of the WC I actually prefer the right hand side lever.
Kaan,
This is my experience also. My cheek is well behind the mag.

I have 2 FX rifles a Crown and an Impact that I like but I don’t think they work as well for a lefty. If I was you I would take a look at the new Edgun R5m which is made to work well for both lefties and righties the lever actin is on both sides of the rifle which I think makes it extremely convenient for lefties and there are always situations were having that option to cock with either hand is very desirable. 

I'm left handed and have 2 impacts and a crown and a Air Arms S510 Ultra and they all have cocking levers on right side. I have no problems with cheek weld. The full size guns are a little hard to use in the field off hand but the impacts are no problem due to center of balance. Maybe you could take her to a shop or find some one who could let her shoot one. Nothing beats trying one. You need to be sure before drop over $ 2,000 .

Thanks everyone!

I will try to move the scope back as far as i can, i don't know why i didn't think of this.
We are both beginners and we both want to learn to shoot both bench and off-hand.

It is very nice to hear from lefties that you have made the Wildcat work for you. I can make it work for us also!
I'm a bit surprised to hear that a left handed is comfortable with a Impact. I would have guessed that the magazine is right on the cheek weld.

"Kaan"Thanks everyone!
I will try to move the scope back as far as i can, i don't know why i didn't think of this.
We are both beginners and we both want to learn to shoot both bench and off-hand.
It is very nice to hear from lefties that you have made the Wildcat work for you. I can make it work for us also!
I'm a bit surprised to hear that a left handed is comfortable with a Impact. I would have guessed that the magazine is right on the cheek weld.

Really don't have to go back real far. Here is my WC with my newly printed AMBI cheek rest. I designed it and printed free at my library. O know it would have been nice if they had black filament, but all they use is white. I'll sand and paint shortly. I made it just a tad shorter so that I could use the lower scope mounts.
This is where the scope it perfect eye relief for me and cheek behind mag. If you get the WC and want the 3d printable file just let me know.
3cd2a860ef41eab60339f0d566602b9f.jpg

43574fbf84183cd422dda91d3e193a70.jpg

0b0e0657a33aa23de7ad95109a0b65de.jpg

Reactions: Kaan