• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Check my new Leupold VX EFR Freedom 3-9X33 scope

My first attempt to scope the HW35e was short lived due to the Athlon Talos crapping out. The scope was nice and had a clear glass but the SF adjustment was terrible and the thing couldn’t hold zero. Wanting to try something different I asked around and the Leupold VX EFR Freedom 3-9X33 had constantly great reviews and was recommended by a few of the members here so I decided to give it a try. I know that there’s a lot a big names and higher end optics but for what I do and my budget the Leupold seemed like a good choice.

This time around I got a set of Sportsmatch medium rings to go with the Leupold. To my surprise, The Leupold didn’t have as much elevation adjustment as the Athlon to compensate for the 5 inches of droop was getting at my available back yard space. So I got a Sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount and was able to sight 95% of the elevation with the mount. The other 5% I accomplished with the turret adjustment. The same was achieved for the 1.5 inches of windage adjustment. After I was finished with the mount adjustment it took just a few clicks to dial in perfect. I know that the AOP55 mount is somewhat an over kill and it sits a bit higher than what I would like but had to get something to help the droop I was getting. In that regards I had the choice of getting a compensated mount such as the UTG drooper rail w/ weaver mounts combo or even a fixed drooper mount like the Sportsmatch or BKL. Another choice was the Sun Optics adjustable mounts but these were no where to be found. So I emailed the guys at Sportsmatch in the UK and asked for a solution to my issue and what I was looking for and this was the one recommended. I’m happy with the results. I guess I’ll see how the mount holds up.

About the scope, ah man,…this is something in a whole new level. The glass is really nice and crisp. I don’t have a lot experience or other optics to compare this to, other than the recent Athlon Talos and my old Bushnell Legend, but it is surely nicer. The image is super sharp. The size and weight is great and complements the HW35e nicely. Being a sub-12 pounds gun I didn’t want to get too crazy with a large scope. Everything about the scope feels solid and once held in your hand you know this a quality product made in the USA. Out of the box it had a few smudges of grease around the body I just wiped them out and it’s all good. No lens covers so I’m shopping around for that. Leupold offers the neoprene whole body cover and the alumina caps, That are perfect but $120+ the set, I find them too expensive.

In a nutshell, I hope this setup holds up good and I have no reason to think otherwise. Greetings from Puerto Rico!

IMG_5570.1613944452.jpg
IMG_5572.1613944430.jpg

Killer looking gun/scope combo! 

I almost bought one of those scopes last week, but cheaped out and bought another Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9X32 instead. They have served me well, but I'm still wondering about the Leupold. 

The only negative I have heard on the Leupold was mushy turret clicks. How do you feel about it on your example? It wouldn't really be a deal breaker for me personally, just curious. 

Does anyone know the "right" size for the Leupold's neoprene cover? Leupold's webpage states that it is the medium. But I think I read somewhere that the medium might be too small and wont fit. Has anyone gotten one of those neoprene covers for your EFR 3-9X33?

Hey JAMz

Looks like it's a medium 👍

Here's a pic of mine. It's 10.5 inches long.

Scope Cover, Medium

https://www.leupold.com/scope-cover-m

Specifications

I guess I am too picky. I bought a VX-2 with AO and expected the Freedom to be the same quality. While the glass is as good that is where it stops. Mushy clicks are bad enough but you will find there is actually 1 click of slack when you reverse direction. If you look at the marks in the turret you will see that if you go up ten clicks and reverse directions you will have to go 11 clicks to get back to your starting spot. Also the AO adjustment actually turns more than 360 degrees so you have to watch when adjusting to lower numbers. When I got the VX-2 it came with a set of bikini scope covers but nothing with the Freedom. Come on Leupold, you can do better.

I considered the Leupold VX Freedom EFR, but I went with a Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32mm AO. It focuses down to 7 yards, has 1/8" click adjustments for getting "spot on" zero, has fabulous Burris multi-coatings, is very sharp with snappy focus, is very compact, and has a decent ballistic reticle. It also sells for a bit less than the Leupold EFR. The extra magnification really comes in handy at a PD town over a 9X scope, almost a 50% image size increase. I also have the 3-9x32mm Burris Timberline without AO. While even smaller and lighter, it is best used on powder burners due to the lack of AO, for shooting at something bigger than small game, and a good coyote scope where shooting is fast and furious.