ChairGun-USE

The original Chairgun Pro from Hawk still works fine for me.

What, if any, are the advantages of installing this Chargun-USE?

No offense intended, but unless it offers more than the original, I can't see any advantage to installing it.

All my best!

Kerry
If Hawke's ChairGun Pro still works for you, by all means stick with it. There is no real advantage to changing to this. This is primarily intended for those who are unable to get Hawke’s edition of ChairGun to run on their devices.

Hawke's last release simply will not work on many people's newer devices. This is for them!

If Hawke's ChairGun Pro still works for you, by all means stick with it. There is no real advantage to changing to this. This is primarily intended for those who are unable to get Hawke’s edition of ChairGun to run on their devices.

Hawke's last release simply will not work on many people's newer devices. This is for them!
Thank you!

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: chairgun-use
It would be great to change the C:\ProgramData\ChairGun4 path to something different.
Say C:\ProgramData\UsersChairGun4

Reason I say that is us users with the Hawke version can then run both without messing with the base data in the ProgramData folder.
I use Windoze 7 and one only needs to double click the Jar file to run your version if Hawke's version runs on your system.
Only reason I'm interested is if new Scopes and Reticles can be added without Me decompiling everything.

I had seriously considered changing the data paths; but in the end thought it better to leave them as they were, where they are familiar to current Hawke ChairGun Pro users. After all, most people who use this are likely to be those who buy a new computer, try to install Hawke’s ChairGun on it, and then discover it won’t run on their new computer.

In that case, all they have to do is copy their data over from their old computer to the same location on their new one, install ChairGun-USE, and they should be good to go. Why trouble them with needing to look for, or adapt to, a new location that is other than what they have been used to for years?

And, quite honestly, it never even occurred to me that anyone would want to run both Hawke’s ChairGun Pro and ChairGun-USE at the same time, or on the same computer. After all, they are practically identical programs at this point. Why would you want to do that?

I have done a considerable amount of work towards extending the program to allow the users to add their own scopes and reticles, and to share them with others. If anyone would like to see that happen, please let me know, so I can have a feel for how much interest there is for that.

And if anyone is willing to contribute towards that in the form of doing the web application side of that, and providing a better hosting situation, that would also go a long ways to bringing that to fruition. I don’t particularly care for writing web applications, but I wouldn’t mind doing the desktop portion of the work if somebody wanted to take up some of the load at this other end.

Full Disclosure: I am real busy right now, and I don’t really have time to collaborate a whole lot on this right now. But if and when things settle down for me, I wouldn’t mind working with others towards this end.

I should probably add that even if we were to extend the program to allow users to add their own scopes and reticles, the reality of it is that very few users out there are likely to have the technical abilities to pull it off.

And the few who could do it would probably only add one or two, and then say, "Forget it. It's not worth the trouble. Just pick a Hawke reticle that is similar to the scope you want to use it for, and live with it."

It's a pretty complex process.

It sounds like a great idea; but when you look at how much work would be involved, and how much it would actually benefit people ... it's questionable whether it'd be worth it.

And that's largely why I chose to release it as it is without it, and haven't pursued it further.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I just had a buddy ask about Chairgun for iPhone (and Android).

Can you tell us anything about how to make it work?

Thanks, 😊

Matthias
Sorry. I've never done any programming for mobile apps. I've never even seen Hawke's mobile app. I've heard it's still available, but I don't know anything at all about it.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Reactions: JungleShooter
Clarify what you mean.
What I had in mind was to have a web site / database application so that when somebody has made a reticle, they could upload it to this site so others could download and use it, too.

Something along the lines of Network UPS Tools, OpenWRT, and many other open source computer projects.

When people help others, everyone benefits.

I’d need somebody who would be willing to do all the web application development, hosting and maintenance side of the project, and who would be committed to keep it running for years to come.

It’d require somebody to be willing to cover the expense of buying a domain name, SSL certificate, provide some sort of hosting, set up all of the system administration for backups, etc. And do all of the web programming and administration on top of that.

I have the technical expertise and the experience to do all of this. I’ve done it all many times already. But to do all of the work necessary on the ChairGun application itself, and all of that, too? It’s more than I can take upon myself now, or in the foreseeable future.

I had intended to do all of this myself. But it’s too much.

Why the need for a dedicated web app (+domain, hosting, SSL, admin, etc) for new scope and reticle uploads? Seems overly complicated given the ROI when you have hosting alternatives like github, a forum thread, etc?

Per https://chairgun-use.github.io/support.html, only the original chairgun developer, the person that did the reverse engineering, and you have access to the source code and the original developer does not want the source code shared? Is that correct?

Last edited:
I am experiencing major health problems. I am too sick to even think about this, much less do any further work on it. I'll let you know if / when I recover enough to give this further consideration.

I am sorry that you are suffering such difficult times!! 😞

I pray for you and for your health.

Thank you for all that you have done for our airgun community.

Blessings to you,

Matthias