Careful when filling

I can't tell from the pics. Is it wrapped? If so, it could have been painted and that can damage the tank. If Aluminum unwrapped, then I've not seen any rated over 3xxx psi. It is also unlikely, (unless, of course, someone messed with it) that the rupture disc didn't blow first. Aluminum has, under some circumstances, been known to stress fracture, that is if it's cycle stressed to a high degree. That is why you don't see 4500 psi AL tanks, the lower rating keeps the cycle stresss to less than 30% (IIRC), so I seriousely doubt there's a 5500 psi AL tank on the market. Keeping the cycle stress below 30% calculates out to an astronomical number of service years before a stress failure. Read up on it, it's easily found information.
There's more to the story......
There are no fibers anywhere to be seen. Something is amiss.

Reactions: Bandito
rules.jpg

I thought a lot of airguns had aluminum tanks with a 4500 psi fill. Am I mistaken?

Why is that acceptable for a gun but not for an external tank?
The highest rating I have seen on an unwrapped aluminum bottle on an airgun is about 3500 psi or so. And they have much thicker walls than one in the initial picture . . . .

The highest rating I have seen on an unwrapped aluminum bottle on an airgun is about 3500 psi or so. And they have much thicker walls than one in the initial picture . . . .

I was able to find out that AEA cylinders are 7075 aluminum alloy. They are pretty thick walled, but not as thick as that large exploded tank. And they are rated for 5000 psi fills. It also seems like they are using a similar kind of tank on their new 7500 psi guns coming out (not carbon fiber tanks, unless they are stealth carbon and look like aluminum).

Also I have a Defender 2 that has the tiny aluminum 5000 psi burst disc tanks. Very thin walls but I've never heard of one fail in an explosive way.

So is a tank more likely to fail if it has a larger volume using the same materials as a smaller tank?

I thought a lot of airguns had aluminum tanks with a 4500 psi fill. Am I mistaken?

Why is that acceptable for a gun but not for an external tank?
It IS acceptable IF it's an appropriately rated tank. I've had all metal SCBA tanks in the past. The problem HERE is that the OP makes a claim about the tank's pressure rating & never responds to all the questions & concerns. So, in answer to YOUR question, we're only talking about HIS tank in this instance & the likelihood that HE probably F'ed up. Yes, there ARE all metal tanks that are appropriate for airgunning use (but NOT his example).

Thank goodness, (as far as I know) no one was hurt.
20 years ago, when compressors became affordable for the average airguner, we saw a increase in these types of advoidable catastrophic situations.
Unfortunately, I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more of this, as companies begin to introduce their new 7500 psi compressors.
We can choose to get all worked up, freak out, and let it ruffle our feathers, but parinoia will not benifit our hobby.
A better option in my opinion, is to educate ourselves and others, and advoid and/or be very cautious when around others that are filling tanks near us.

Reactions: Bandito and SteveV
Thank goodness, (as far as I know) no one was hurt.
20 years ago, when compressors became affordable for the average airguner, we saw a increase in these types of advoidable catastrophic situations.
Unfortunately, I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more of this, as companies begin to introduce their new 7500 psi compressors.
We can choose to get all worked up, freak out, and let it ruffle our feathers, but parinoia will not benifit our hobby.
A better option in my opinion, is to educate ourselves and others, and advoid and/or be very cautious when around others that are filling tanks near us.
I have a laminated tag hanging on my SCBA that shows MAX fill pressure for all my PCP’s. I only fill via my SCBA since I have an Alkin. When I had a couple bottle guns I wrote MAX psi on them with a silver Sharpie.

I do not have any bottle guns but I have two PCPs rated for 300 bar fill. But I just fill them to 250 bar. Part of that is the convenience of filling from my SCBA tank, however. My latest, a Caiman, says right on the cylinder it was tested to 450 bar. So it should be totally safe at 300 bar. But 300 bar fills are only reasonably possible direct off the compressor and that is so noisy with my YH I just fill from the bottle even though that doesn't get me to 300 bar.

No reason an aluminum bottle or cylinder cannot be safe at 300 bar but I think there is a tendency to higher mechanical margin in the carbon fiber covered bottles. My guess is the main cost of the carbon fiber is the covering process and adding a bit more doesn't add much weight or presumably cost. The covering is not homogeneous so it would be appropriate to add more to be sure you have enough. In a video posted here previously they tested a damaged tank at a considerable overpressure before it failed. I think aluminum can be safe but carbon fiber covered aluminum is preferable from both a weight and a safety standpoint.

I wish people wouldn't post their mistakes while claiming they weren't doing something pretty clearly wrong and then run off.