Careful when filling

It blew around 3000
61447.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: qball
Are you sure about the 6000 psi rating? That tank has no wrap and appears to be just aluminum - I know of no unwrapped tank rated that high, let alone one made of aluminum . . . .

Edit - When I posted this question, his original post said the tank was rated at 6000 psi. He later edited it to 5500 as noted in post #5 but never addressed anything else. There is no way that tank is rated for 5500 psi - probably not even 3000 . . . it could well be a misused CO2 tank that would probably blow at about 3000 psi.

Last edited:
Was anyone hurt? That is a SERIOUS blow! WHERE on the tank does it say it's 5500 rated? Something is not right!
Maybe VALVE is 5500 rated, NOT TANK. This is serious & scary. PLEASE post a picture of where you're getting the 5500 number from. might be a test pressure # & not working pressure. I've always been concerned someone will make a mistake & get hurt.

Last edited:
I can't tell from the pics. Is it wrapped? If so, it could have been painted and that can damage the tank. If Aluminum unwrapped, then I've not seen any rated over 3xxx psi. It is also unlikely, (unless, of course, someone messed with it) that the rupture disc didn't blow first. Aluminum has, under some circumstances, been known to stress fracture, that is if it's cycle stressed to a high degree. That is why you don't see 4500 psi AL tanks, the lower rating keeps the cycle stresss to less than 30% (IIRC), so I seriousely doubt there's a 5500 psi AL tank on the market. Keeping the cycle stress below 30% calculates out to an astronomical number of service years before a stress failure. Read up on it, it's easily found information.
There's more to the story......

Last edited:
I can't tell from the pics. Is it wrapped? If so, it could have been painted and that can damage the tank. If Aluminum unwrapped, then I've not seen any rated over 3xxx psi. It is also unlikely, (unless, of course, someone messed with it) that the rupture disc didn't blow first. Aluminum has, under some circumstances, been known to stress fracture, that is if it's cycle stressed to a high degree. That is why you don't see 4500 psi AL tanks, the lower rating keeps the cycle stresss to less than 30% (IIRC), so I seriousely doubt there's a 5500 psi AL tank on the market. Keeping the cycle stress below 30% calculates out to an astronomical number of service years before a stress failure. Read up on it, it's easily found information.
There's more to the story......
Pretty certain that is an aluminum tank as it has a flat bottom. PSI ratings should be stamped at the top- I think I can kinda see some stamped markings in the photo. OP 12 Keith: any chance you could post a pic of the numbers?