• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can you "wear out" a rubber mulch trap?

From what I found today - yes AND no. So I went out to my trap to change out the cardboard target face. I found some of the mulch and pellets on the ground in front of the trap. Ok, it's been too long since I swapped the cardboard out. I open the faceplate, remove the old cardboard and:

1582231354_12945293465e4eef3a164d48.69644419_20200220_152002.jpg

It is pretty well packed with pellets. I figure that I need to "fluff" the rubber mulch so that it will trap the pellets and not drop them out the front of the trap. I start to mixing and find the whole trap packed full hand deep.

1582231696_12655976015e4ef090d6a344.81133572_20200220_152134.jpg

The only mulch not laden with pellets is in the corners. I did not realize just how much I had shot into this trap. It seems to me that as you continue to build up lead in in the trap that added mass makes for a better trap. So, wear the trap out - No. However, with so much lead built up in the surface of the mulch the pellets are not penetrating. Now I'm getting pellets hitting the trap and falling to the ground in front of the trap. So it has lost some effectiveness in that regard. Worn out - Yes. I have a new trap design in mind to build this spring that will catch the "fall out" pellets and only need half of the "pre-leaded" mulch. Anyone need some pre- leaded trap filler? (No, I'm not shipping it)

I love this type of trap. It gets a lot heavier the more you shoot it. I just use a cardboard box and replace the box when it becomes more tape than box. I have been using the same rubber mulch for years. When I replace the box, I remove the pellets and give them to a buddy who casts his own bullets. Functional and inexpensive, just the way I like it.

When I built my mulch trap I used 1/2" plywood, 2 handles, left the top open and designed the front to allow sliding the cardboard target backing horizontally so as I pulled the old backing out, I pushed the new backing in. I use 2 layers of card board at a time or cardboard from large heavy boxes that is thicker. I sifted the rubber mulch using 1/2" "hardware cloth" it's a heavy screen with 1/2" square holes in it to sift out the mulch. You can sift again using a smaller 3/8" piece of hardware cloth to separate out more mulch. I like my trap and I built a square sifter out of 1" x 4" and stapled the hardware cloth to it and each time I shoot I pull out a few handfuls of mulch with pellets and put it in the sifter . It's easy to do a little every time.

Gotta go with 2LB. My trap had over 9 pounds of lead in it. The mulch was breaking down. Kept the big stuff, got the lead and small stuff out using gold panning techniques. Lead is heavy, so sinks to the bottom of the pan, scooped the tiny bits of rubber off, and put the lead in a rubbermaid container. refilled the box with the old mulch, filled to the top with new mulch, good to go.

Now, if I can just get back to shooting again.

The mulch I bought at Home Depot floats. I just dump the mix in a 5 gallon bucket of water, mulch lots along with the paper, pellets sink. Skim off the paper, spread the mulch on a tarp or screen wire in the sun and dry mulch out. Melt the pellets in bottom of bucket for casting later after the pellets dry out. Been reusing my mulch for over three years. Pretty easy to separate the contents.

This is the rubber mulch that HD carries in my area.

1582290618_836620455e4fd6badb8034.14238742_20200221_080824.jpg

I notice that the price is about half of what I remember paying. Maybe HD is selling a different brand now. It is cheap enough. Might buy a bag just to see if this brand floats.

The mulch you have pictured is not rubber it is wood based,

I thought was I tripping