• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can you recommend some very high quality hex wrenchs?

Be sure to remember not to use Ball Head wrenches other than for turning already loosened screws. Do breaking free of tight set screws and final torqueing with the solid end. If you use the ball end, particularly with the smaller sizes, you will eventually break one off deep inside a set screw.

The Husky sets seem just as well made as the Bondhus ( I have both) and are often quite a bit less $ on sale. The Harbor Freight folding sets with the ball heads are horrible. The tips break off with hardly any torque. I was given a set and ground the ball tips off on all but the 2 largest sizes.

-----------------------------------------
Am I the only person who uses a grinder or cut off wheel to repair old rounded off Allen keys?

Allen

A good tip! (Pun intended)
I use my grinder or 1" belt sander for that and have been doing so for many decades. It extends the useful life of the tools substantially and often makes for a tighter fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gr8Recreation
Am I the only person who uses a grinder or cut off wheel to repair old rounded off Allen keys?

Allen
I use a file for touching up. Saves on heat build up that might reduce temper of the steel. But if using a grinder, dip periodically in a cup of water to keep steel cool.

Outside of the great advice to not use the actual ball tip to snap free a tightened fastener loose, also keep in mind user technique is equally important as the tool type. I find myself sometimes getting in a hurry and that’s when I get sloppy, especially when using the short leg of an Allen key for the final cinch down.

What happens is if you don’t apply pressure down for the key edge to sit square and flat inside the Allen screw socket, and rather instead tilt the tool due to sloppy tool use, that’s when it slips inside the socket head and start the demise of the fastener/tool. Make sure the tip end of the tool is square and apply pressure into the socket head before turning!,