• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

cah I shoot a coyote with a 25

I’ll share two personal experiences I’m not necessarily proud of but if given the chance to rewind time to just before I pulled the trigger. I’d still pull the trigger. 

Thor LT thermal mounted to FX Wildcat compact .25 shooting the 26gr hybrid slugs at 900 FPS Walking the trail my mother walks her dog through daily, single pass wide through waist tall grass in what’s left of my family’s apple orchard about an hour after dark. Not out hunting just wanted to scan the fresh cut corn field beyond the neighbors. Shot a few mice on the way that sit in the crotch of the old apple trees. Reports pretty quiet, not so much the impact. Both shots easily heard within the area and within minutes of getting just outside of my neighbors yard lights. Hear a car coming down the road and knew there was potential for my profile to be seen by them and though I had every right and awesome, appreciative neighbors I chose to duck out of sight as they passed. Stood up, scanned, two pointy eared identical canine faces staring at me in the grass 30 yards out. No way they’re not coyotes but no way they’re coyotes. Unwilling to chance shooting someone’s dog and having to John Wick myself ( not claiming the skills but the ideals) I pulled out 1800 lumens and light them up. They gave me the opportunity to reshoulder, rack one and settle into the shooting sticks. Right between the eyes, solid impact sound followed by his cry. Searched best I dared that night, brush hogged the entire field soon as the sun came up, no sign other than several turkey vultures circling and descending quarter mile off.

Shooting rats at my buddies .25 JSB Hades 880 at the muzzle SK-19 with the Thor LT. Saw what I figured was either a cat or fox in his yard and wanted to positively ID to shoo off the cat before he shoots it (half his rat problem) or handle accordingly depending on reaction/condition if a Fox. It was right next to his young boys red flyer wagon and shovels from hours before. Walk right up to a cat and send him peacefully packing. Turned and walked away and in as little time as it took me to walk what ended up being 150 yards away I turned and there was a coyote nose down in my the cat and my scent. Within season but otherwise not what I consider ethical but if it were my yard and two kids play area I’d have done the same Hail Mary’d a total guess figuring to be lucky to kick some dust at him. Smack, yelp, spin, and gone. Ran for backup and heavier artillery to find him 50 yards away stone dead, mouth full of blood from a body shot I’d never have taken otherwise. 

Most typing I’ve done in the decades since high school. Point being, can and should are two different things IMO. Second story was the end of last season and the first was two days before the current. That justified buying an Impact in .30 and my brother still thinks I’m an a**#**** for anything less than .22-250. If they recognize my scent and presence as danger I’ll wait for a sub 75 yard coyote to turn broadside and present the perfect shot after studying( google image) his anatomy. If not I’ll be ready to hand out Darwin awards when the opportunity is given. Part of my love for air rifles. Not to go under the radar to break rules but to seize more opportunities when given, safely.

Worst part about coyotes are unless you have something above them on the food chain in your area any injuries they get might only make them more dangerous and desperate. You give a fox or coon a limp and the coyotes will take the easy meal. 

I shot one thru the heart just the other day with my Steyr ProX .22...drop like a sack of biden
1f601.svg

Interesting...So did it make him sleepy?

I believe .25 cal or larger would be best for coyote.

However I had shot two coyotes with .22. One with my Crown shooting AA 18.1gr at 32ft.lb and the other one with my Impact MK2 with H&N 23gr slug at 45ft.lb.

Both shots were at the temple at 70 yards and both coyotes expired shortly. I don't recommend .22 because the shot placement has to critical and precise to the temple area. In my two cases, the opportunity presented to me was very rare, two in a million rare. They were both sitting still at 70 yards so I had lots of time to execute the shots and got lucky twice.

If you are interested, please search up my videos, thanks.

So .25 cal or larger would be better to use for coyotes.