• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying a Benjamin 392 Car Gun This Friday - Will Get 25% off and Free Shipping !

This will be a gun to keep in my Jeep along with my other barrel breaker that is of about the same velocity !

I don't plan on using a scope on this gun, but will buy a Williams peep sight. The gun will be encased in a quality custom made soft case and stay in my Jeep along with a tin of the ammo that shoots well in this gun.

Want to keep this gun as low tech and as simple as I can yet very accurate with my older eyes.

I plan on using JSB 18.1 gr heavy pellets as this gun will be for small game hunting in a pinch at ranges of 25 to 35 yds !! Hopefully the 18.1 gr shoot well in this gun, if not it is major testing time !!

With iron sights I'm looking at a sight in at ~25 yds ... Depending on how she shoots, although 30 yds may be my sight in range !!

Do any of you have the same set up and what are your thoughts ?

wll

I had one of these with the williams peep sight and it shot the Jsb 18.1's great. I could shoot it pretty well at least out to 25 yards with the peep sight. Make sure that there is no overspray on the barrel crown from when they painted the barrel and if there is, just carefully use q-tips and acetone to clean the crown. I had to do this to mine and it helped accuracy 100%.

I have mine set up the same way. For the type of use you're talking about, the Williams sight will work just fine. I can shoot clover leafs at fifteen yards with mine, and it loves the JSB Exact Heavy Jumbo 18.13 pellets. Easily the smoothest rifle in my airgun collection. Out of the box, a very smooth trigger, but I agree with removing the paint from the barrel. You're gonna have to get aggressive with that, either acetone or lacquer thinner, and several minutes of work with a Q-tip. Were I you, I wouldn't scope it...it just takes away whatever it is that makes the 392 special, but...that's just me. All my other rifles are scoped...the mounts for that rifle are just plain awkward in design, and if it's gonna bounce around in the truck...well. I get GunMate cases for about twenty five bux off of Amazon, they work real well...Good choice, OP.

I owned a 392 with a Williams peep sight on it. 25 yards is easily within this gun's range. With more than 50 years' wear and tear on my eyes I was still able to consistently hit 1" spinners at 25 yards with my 392... and that was using Wally-World CPHP's and no work to clean the barrel of the overspray at the crown. And yes, the overspray IS a real issue and NO I didn't know enough at the time to find the best pellet for the gun. Extremely capable gun, sold mine to Thurmond ( @T3PRanch ) so maybe he can chime in.

Well I'm getting ready for my purchase tomorrow., I don't know if Friday is 12pm Pacific time or Eastern time. If it's Eastern time, I'll purchase it at 9pm California time ... if it is Pacific time, I'll buy it tomorrow morning.

As of now I can't find the Williams peep sight as no one has them in stock. I plan on keeping this gun as bare bones as possible, no scope to break, no scope mounts to loosen up. I want this gun to be as low profile as it can be, nothing fancy that can "break or ? " if dropped. The only thing I may make would be a custom LDC to use if I need it.

Really not super interested in making this gun a can plinker, so my main concern is a heavy weight pellet (18gr-21gr) that shoots good and has a high BC for down range energy.

There are many more airguns that have much more power, but almost non that can be fixed with just "O" rings. Keeping a supply of springs and ? is too much, simplicity of repair is very important for this project as well as being compact and sturdy.

By the time I get through making it my "Truck Gun 2" it will be pretty cool I think.

wll

SIDE BAR -- Got the free shipping and discount at 9pm Pacific time ... ;- )

Just got a arrival time of Friday the 15th ... knowing UPS it wll probably be a day early if the weather gets a little better !!

Reactions: ajax
I like them also.

1549833279_5542792935c60943fc81bb7.41022069_B11F99B2-FEE6-44F3-8BBA-B6F27D96B1CE.jpeg

Well, since the Williams peep is not available right now, I decided to go to a totally different route !

I have IA scope mounts from Mac1 coming and I'm going to set up a scout scope arrangement. This way I get very fast target acquisition, can keep both eyes open to stay on target and be able to pump the gun up in a normal manor.

Of course I will sight in the gun with iron sights and keep those on in case if I need them.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out ;- )

wll

Don’t what to make you question your purchase but did you see that Crosman is going to come out with a 392 with a synthetic stock? I kinda like it myself

1550345926_4043335645c6866c67e73d5.01813482_88388EAC-9B0D-4645-B347-54AAD5FB26C4.png

Yes I did, and it is not to my liking .. I have a "Few" Fortitude's that I changed to Disco Stocks ... very cool rifles and I like the feel much better. Besides the plastic stocks, Benjamin would have to had made some internal fixes for me to consider that "NEW" 392.... Higher quality parts that last longer and are tougher. Do some finishing work so the 392 is smooth from the factory, do away with the crazy de-cock mechanism on the trigger that stops you from un-cocking the gun when filled with air and a pellet. Add a flat top with a mounting groove so you don't have to go to third party vendors to install a scope on your gun .... come on, this is 2019 not 1902 (the year Benjamin was founded) !!

Ya, no I'm not going for an so called UPGRADE, unless they do really upgrade the gun ... a plastic stock is not an upgrade !! If I want an upgrade, I'll buy a Benjamin and then send it to Tim at Mac 1 ... someone who KNOWS what an upgrade is !!!

I'm not venting at you at all, but at Benjamin for not making useful improvements on a great gun that could be greater ;- )

wll

Fair enough. I’m partial to the look of wood stocks myself but synthetic stocks have some practicality for the “working” guns. I’ve considered getting a Fortitude and I don’t have a Maximus so I don’t know what those stocks are like. However, I do have a Jim Shocky Steel Eagle and I don’t mind that stock at all. My 392 stock has a couple good dings from riding around in a truck while out pheasant hunting. So the synthetic version was appealing to me for that reason. The last few years ive been bringing along an air gun with me when I’m out pheasant hunting. I like to plink with them when we stop for a break or lunch or something. I even started carrying a 1322 in my hunting vest in the field. We hunt around some old abandoned homesteads and I’ll poke me head into the old buildings and pop a couple of pigeons or maybe a starling or two here and there. 

I was just saying this on another topic about the 392. I’d really like to see Crosman truly update this old design. I wished they make it more mod friendly like the13xx’s and 22xx’s. And I total agree, give me some blued steel instead of this painted brass stuff. And bring back a .20 cal model already!

Fair enough. I’m partial to the look of wood stocks myself but synthetic stocks have some practicality for the “working” guns. I’ve considered getting a Fortitude and I don’t have a Maximus so I don’t know what those stocks are like. However, I do have a Jim Shocky Steel Eagle and I don’t mind that stock at all. My 392 stock has a couple good dings from riding around in a truck while out pheasant hunting. So the synthetic version was appealing to me for that reason. The last few years ive been bringing along an air gun with me when I’m out pheasant hunting. I like to plink with them when we stop for a break or lunch or something. I even started carrying a 1322 in my hunting vest in the field. We hunt around some old abandoned homesteads and I’ll poke me head into the old buildings and pop a couple of pigeons or maybe a starling or two here and there. 

I was just saying this on another topic about the 392. I’d really like to see Crosman truly update this old design. I wished they make it more mod friendly like the13xx’s and 22xx’s. And I total agree, give me some blued steel instead of this painted brass stuff. And bring back a .20 cal model already!

Yes, I 110% agree, the basic design is great, but it does need some upgraded things for today's market ;- )

wll

Here she is as she sits now, changed things around a bit. Had to go with an inter-mount that I used a very high tack double face tape on the grip section so when mount is put on just snug, this mount will NOT move at all. You now have to peel the mount off the compression tube/barrel, works great !

Used low rings to keep the NcStar 4x30 close to the bore. (not a NcStar fan, but this scope is a real winner), it is light, bright and has great eye relief for a scout scope configuration.

Change%20sm.png
[/url][/IMG]

Test pellets for accuracy tomorrow, it will be between JSB Heavies, JSB Monster and H&N Baracuda's. Whoever wins in the accuracy department, those are the pellets I will use in this gun. As of now this gun is stock, getting 565fps with JSB Heavies, 530fps with Baracuda's, and 500fps with Monsters (all 8 pumps). I'm buying a adjustable piston rod assembly so I can get rid of any head space between the piston head and the head of the valve. That should boost my speed up a little bit, even going at 500fps the Monsters still have over 11 fpe at 40 yds, I would love to get 12ish fpe at 40 yds ;- )

wll