• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bullpup recommendation

I am fairly new to air guns (all guns...). I started out a couple years ago with a Gammo .22 cal break barrel rifle. I then bought a Marauder .25.

The accuracy of the Marauder compared to the Gammo is amazing. I use the Marauder for squirrel hunting and plinking. Now I want to try a Bullpup design. I have read some reviews/recommendations and the EDGuns look fantastic and seem to get rave reviews.

Some basic questions, I chose a .25 Marauder because I wanted to try something in a different size, and I liked the idea of more takedown power for small game. If cost is not a factor regarding ammunition would a .25 Bullpup be more accurate?

I shoot a 25 Marauder as well as Crickets in 22 and 25. In bullpups I prefer the side lever cocking vs a bolt. I can advance the magazine on my Criockets with my left hand without taking the gun off the shoulder. The CZ barrels in the Crickets provide awesome accuracy. If you are looking at 100 yard accuracy then the 25' with their heavier pellets appear to provide less wind deflection and therefore mroe consistent groups.

Aside from JSB pellets (which are usually accurate in all calibers), I find more accurate pellets in 25 cal for some reason. 

For hunting, I like having a broader range to choose from because I don't rate JSB pellets for this purpose (I.e. Killing quickly). 

Aside from that, it will depend on the gun. Some are better in 25, some in 22 and in some it makes no difference. 

I haven't used a 25 that is more accurate than my 22 Mutant. My 25 Cricket is about equal in accuracy. 

K_H_D
I was like you. I had a .25 Marauder as my very first PCP. Then bought a .25 Cricket Carbine and once I got the Cricket I never used the Marauder anymore so I traded it for a .177 to start my journey into FT.
My .25 M-rod only got like 16 to 20 shots on a fill from the factory and if memory serves me correct it was only pushing about 37 FPE from the factory. My .25 Cricket on the other hand would shoot 4 twelve round magazines on a fill at close to 47 FPE straight from WWAG.

I have a .22 Cricket pup shooting at 35 FPE and it will easily shoot 3 fourteen round mags. POI starts dropping somewhere in the fourth mag. But heck it's a .22 and is only shooting 2 FPE lighter than my factory .25 Mrod was shooting.

I have two Cricket Carbines .177 & .22, one .22 Cricket pup and one .22 Colibri pup.

So yes Kalibrgun Cricket all the way. but you definitely can't go wrong with a Mutant, or a Vulcan, or a Wildcat either.
I guarantee if you get any one of those 4 brands, your Marauder will do nothing but collect dust as mine did ;-)

Best of luck
Jimmy

"sniperlabyo"Tuned most BP,

The Cricket and Mutant are on top of my list, .25 cricket is one of the most powerful out there and easy to tune higher.
Ernest, 
I respect your opinion very much. 
Could you please explain why the Cricket or Mutant would be preferred more than the Vulcan? Consider that the Vulcan is now available with a side cocking lever...

Thanks

I love my Wildcat in .25. I will say though that the shorter length on the .22 is a feature I wish I had. I was also using a hand pump up until this weekend so the larger air reservoir was something I regretted a little. Now that I have a tank that doesn't madder as much any more. I purchased the Wildcat as my first PCP gun. I'm hoping to convince my Dad to buy me a streamline now as a present for becoming an eagle scout. I don't know if he'll go with that, but it'll be worth a shot. I still have another few weeks till my board so I still have time to convince him.

"Mark_Walt"I love my Wildcat in .25. I will say though that the shorter length on the .22 is a feature I wish I had. I was also using a hand pump up until this weekend so the larger air reservoir was something I regretted a little. Now that I have a tank that doesn't madder as much any more. I purchased the Wildcat as my first PCP gun. I'm hoping to convince my Dad to buy me a streamline now as a present for becoming an eagle scout. I don't know if he'll go with that, but it'll be worth a shot. I still have another few weeks till my board so I still have time to convince him.
Mark
What caliber are you going with on the Streamline? Would be cool to see you get .177 and take up FT with THAGC ;-) Might even get your dad interested?

Jimmy

I appreciate all the input. I have read that the Cricket and Mutant bolt action is in an awkward location requiring you to remove your cheek from the gun to cock/cycle through. Others have also highly recommended an EDGun but it looks like its cocking mechanism is at the rear as well.

This may be a stupid question, but if a .22 produces the same FPE or more than a .25 maurader, and that is sufficient, is there any reason to even consider another .25?

The review on Airguns of Arizona says the .22 wildcat will do 70 shots per fill, and .25 will do 50+ shots per fill at 46 FPE. Compared to my Marauder sounds like a winner.

The location of the Wildcat cocking mechanism seems really nice an logical. I have read about the Wildcats free floating hammer, which makes it efficient and quieter. What about the cricket and mutant in that respect?

I own a Noblesse Kross .25 bullpup which is accurate, very powerful and well constructed. I like the smooth cocking lever and balance of the gun. The gun is priced under $1000 and comes with (2) 10 shot magazines.
I also own a P12 (single shot) which is an excellent bolt action bullpup for under $700 and comes in .22 is relatively quiet, very accurate and a good value.
The Noblesse is my preference and recommendation.