• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Budget PCP package I'm assembling, what else am I going to need? TIA

@silvershooter589 - why the GX CS3 over the Yong Heng? Is it better? More reliable? I know some people have gone through a couple Yong Hengs (I chalked that up to user error). And is your Gauntlet 2 as tunable as the Avenger? I was also considering it but after an in depth AEAC video on the Avenger I'm kind of sold on it.

I had a Yong Heng and it was noisy and I hated it, then it blew up on me. Just not a fan. I have an Omega Trail Charger that's been a work horse, but if I had to buy a new compressor right now, for my money, I'd pick up the GX CS3 as it's cheaper and somewhat similar to the Trail Charger.

I know some people run Yong Heng succesfully and they just need a rebuild every few years. It's probably the same story with the GX CS3. Reliability can be hit or miss with either one, but the GX CS3 is a nicer unit to operate, doesn't need a water bucket and special oil, and much more portable.

My Gauntlet 2 isn't as tunable as the Avenger. It might be a little more powerful, or maybe it's a tie depending how you tune the Avenger. The Avenger has a nicer stock and side lever. I wouldn't think twice about it. That is, unless you're thinking of going 30 caliber, I'd definitely recommend the Guantlet 2 .30. You can turn the power down on the .30 almost to the point of making the .25 redundant as well.

Reactions: AmosBurton
@beerthief - Yes and yes, I know my Hatsan will take care of all those pests. But a follow up shot because I missed a 50yd shot isn't so easy with a break barrel. I"m just another firearms guy coming over to airgunning, I love my .22lr for the follow up shot capability. Load up and take a walk in the woods. 14 rounds later you either have dinner or some good excuses, lol.
I will end up with a big bore PCP for hunting deer at some point. Hopefully my state will legalize more airgun hunting and I can do it here. If not I'll head to see family in MO and hunt there. But until then I'd like to get acquainted with the PCP world and having the same caliber makes sense right now because I can hunt small game with it.

always read the negative reviews first. i skip 4 and 5 star ratings and find out if the problems people do have are ones i can live with.

the 1-star reviews just on Amazon turned me off almost immediately. there's plenty of other choices. like a hammers, utg, even Hatsan makes some fine budget scopes.

good luck, keep us posted!

#pdxfrank
Actually I have that exact scope on my Huntsman Revere and LOVE IT! Super rugged and accurate.

Well, I've officially come over to the darkside.
I ordered the Avenger and a Nomad II compressor that was refurbed. I went with the Nomad II over a Yong Sheng because I can hook it up to the car and refill easily.
I took advantage of the Labor Day sale and also got some pellets and slugs since it's buy 4 get the least expensive free from Pyramid.
Since I couldn't use multiple coupon codes I spent $4.99 on the SubMOA card so I could join the SubMOA challenge.
Looking forward to sighting in another gun and seeing how my shooting has improved (or not, lol)!
I still might get a Donny FL once I see how loud the gun is. It won't be a problem with neighbors no matter what.
Thanks for all the input, it's really appreciated.

a pcp will give you a much better kill ratio,pcp rifles are much more accurate than break barrel rifles.less movement with the pcp and follow up shots come much faster from a mag filled with pellets...
thanks for the reply!

"kill ratio"? oh, hunting. thought that was a Steven Seagal movie title for a sec. ;)
not sure about PCPs giving you a better one, but eh, i don't hunt anyway, i'll defer.

not sure it's really less movement over-all, but i get your point. don't want Bambi to see you coming.

ya know multi-shot break-barrels have been around for years right?

finally, MUCH more accurate? well, maybe. depends on the shooter.

thanks for the reply!

"kill ratio"? oh, hunting. thought that was a Steven Seagal movie title for a sec. ;)
not sure about PCPs giving you a better one, but eh, i don't hunt anyway, i'll defer.

not sure it's really less movement over-all, but i get your point. don't want Bambi to see you coming.

A LOT more accurate, once you find the right pellet and speed combination. For a 'cheap' scope, I'd look at UTG, bug busters. they get the job done and hold up well.

Reactions: pdxFrank
thanks for the reply!

first off I don't hunt Bambi with an air rifle,secondly the pcp rifle will out shoot a break barrel at any distance.multi shot break barrel will require the shooter to cock the rifle after each shot.as far as the shooter I will say that I will out shoot you with a pcp rifle and day with you using a break barrel rifle.but let's get back to kill ratio,I take head shots only and I hunt squirrels,I can hold pcp rifle any way and it still hits where I aiming the break barrel must be held the same way to shoot the same every time this permitting a better kill ratio or for you squeamish shooters more bullseye's.you think I never had a break barrel rifle?guess again joker.

FB_IMG_1661880370089.jpg

first off I don't hunt Bambi with an air rifle,secondly the pcp rifle will out shoot a break barrel at any distance.multi shot break barrel will require the shooter to cock the rifle after each shot.as far as the shooter I will say that I will out shoot you with a pcp rifle and day with you using a break barrel rifle.but let's get back to kill ratio,I take head shots only and I hunt squirrels,I can hold pcp rifle any way and it still hits where I aiming the break barrel must be held the same way to shoot the same every time this permitting a better kill ratio or for you squeamish shooters more bullseye's.you think I never had a break barrel rifle?guess again joker.
wow. what a d*ck. you act as if i kicked your dog.

seems you can't tell the difference between the message and the messenger.

just because you're a fan-boy of PCPs and Yong Heng compressors, and don't care for my opinions on either, attacking me personally is childish. if you're only interested in your POV, why bother using social media.

another "joker" worthy of blocking. :(

Reactions: BurntDog
wow. what a d*ck. you act as if i kicked your dog.

seems you can't tell the difference between the message and the messenger.

just because you're a fan-boy of PCPs and Yong Heng compressors, and don't care for my opinions on either, attacking me personally is childish. if you're only interested in your POV, why bother using social media.

another "joker" worthy of blocking. :(
really dude?I don't have a dog.point one finger at me and have three other fingers pointed at your self d/ck.

• Wow
What I'm looking at is the Air Venturi Avenger in .25cal with the wood stock and a Yong Heng compressor. That's less than $700. The gun comes with a male fitting, will I need something else to connect to the compressor?
Make sure you get a bag of the replacement YH "cigarette" filters and swap them out as soon as they feel moist or oily. Check with each fill. Unless they get filthy from oil, you can air dry them and reuse them. If some day you want to get a tank and fill it you'll really want a better oil/water removal system. The Tuxing "Gold" unit is popular for that. The YH has a standard female Foster fitting. The YH is not really portable so unless you are shooting from a home range you may want to consider a dual voltage 12VDC/120VAC unit for portability.