• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buddy wants a pellet pistol to take ground squirrels and pocket gophers in CA

I want to get him something with some zap as the shots can be out to 50yds. I see 25 yds mentioned a lot as the range.

Is co2 the way to go or a cocker?

Hes old so a single shot bolt like the Cross 2240 will slow him down if he drops a 2nd pellet. Do they make a .22 pellet with a pellet magazine maybe?

.22 or .177?

Thanks

"fishinwrench"If you can hit a gopher in the head at 50yards with a pistol..... you're a bad m-f !
With the right pellet (H&N FTT 5.55) my PRod (with shoulder stock) was capable of 3/4" groups at 50yds off sand bags. This tells me the gun is capable of 50yd GS accuracy in pistol form (w/o the shoulder stock). Now whether or not the shooter is capable that might be a different story.

Yes, it is possible to hunt with a pistol or a pistol/carbine.

For an old farte, who has not shot air guns (recently)... I think it is not probable.

Any old Joe can sling lead or BB's with abandon. For pest work, and ethical kills - it will take some practice and a lot of air and ammo.

For a PCP gun (not co2 and not spring/piston) there is also the concern of where the 3000+ psi air will come from. Most likely not a hand pump!

Thanks for the help. I have a tank that i can fill it for him. Were gonna try the marauder. 

Any likes for a scope for the marauder? I have BSA red dot around here somewhere to start him off.

He's an old Navy fight pilot and his target skills are pretty good on my FX wildcat. He just cant lug that thing around with him like he could a pistol, he is a citrus farmer. And I'll try and get him to keep shots under 40 yds. He has a rangefinder i gave him.

Then the marauder pistol is a good choice. 15 fpe with a .22 can take jack rabbits at 40-50 yards with a budget 3-9*40 AO scope. I am no fan of red dot scopes, though other guys swear by them. Maybe a 1.5-3x red dot might work, I prefer a scope.

The Prod shoulder stock leaves much to desire, I padded mine with pool noodle to build it up for a very solid cheek weld.

I do not like the Prod as a pistol.

You will get 24-32 shots on a tank fill to 3000 psi.

I start with the Marauder Rifle 0.25, very good for hunting, but big. Since Crosman give me an incredible support on the rifle I decided to go for the pistol.
Best choise I made...I was about to buy the FX Crown, but with Mrod and Prod I have everything I need for hunting. (no need for me to spend 2.000 on a crown)
Mrod: I have kills well over 100yards (Rabbits)
Prod: great for short distance up to 50yards, I really love it. Is my favorite now, great gun. 100% recomended. Laser for less than 10mt, scope for 10+ meters
1528824666_11502655365b20035abb1f30.44886640_7e25033b-a7e8-4c20-a619-75ddb0764711.jpg