• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BSF 54 games

I picked up this nifty rifle at last year's Findlay show - a second-version BSF model S54 underlever, with "Match" stock:

I bonded with it immediately. Dennis Hiller's classic tome The Collector's Guide to Air Rifles describes the S54 with the words, "What an air rifle! As soon as you pick one up you know that this is different!" And it's true...it's just adorably eccentric. And as luck would have it, this one is serial no. 4707; the very example Tom Gaylord explored at depth on his blog:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019/04/bsf-s54-match-rifle-part-5/

So what other airguns can you name that...are a full 46 inches long?

Or have the front and open rear sights pinned to the barrel in complex, easily removable cast housings?

Or have the trigger adjustments permanently engraved for ya?

Or combine an underlever with a 2-piece cocking linkage to eliminate that long fore end slot?

One thing I don't love, though, is the diopter sight. It looks kinda cool, but it's a rather fragile soft casting, has quite coarse adjustments, is laid out so that little but its ginormous OEM eye disk fits, and last but not least is threaded not for German, but British Parker-Hale eyepieces (wot?!). On top of that, this particular sight is not original to this gun, and has some bubba parts and minor damage making it hard to mount.

Which is an issue due to the gun's weird layout: the front sight is about the same height above the bore as most airguns...but the barrel sits well below the top of the receiver...and the rear sight mounts to a tall rail. So not just any diopter will work; you need one that adjusts REALLY low.

But years ago, the inimitable Robert Law at "Air Rifle Headquarters" commissioned some custom Williams sight models, including this one intended for Diana and BSF guns. The base of the sight is similar to Williams's current "low" FP-GR series, but is longer and has a non-adjusting dovetail.

I picked up a couple of these ARH sights back in the day. They vary a tiny bit in size; one of 'em resolutely refuses to fit this gun (works great on Dianas though), while the other - after some persuasion with a triangular polishing stone and some newly-invented expletives - finally succumbed to my will.

I was concerned even this one would sit too high, but a short 10-meter bench session today shows it works fine I'm happy to say...and I even like the looks of it. Mr. Gaylord has ol' 4707 shooting hard and straight, too. Obviously I have some fine tuning to go, but this beast from Erlangen might make a real shooter one day.

Last edited:
Gents, thanks for your kind remarks!

BSF's stocks (other airgun brands too) in those halcyon days were sub-contracted by Sile in Italy. This one does have exceptionally cleanly-executed checkering. The "Match" stock is quite full-bodied, but its nicely rounded contours handle and balance quite well.

To be clear, Robert Law's "Air Rifle Headquarters" was the major US importer for BSF in the 60's and 70's. This rear sight is specifically for BSF's - no creativity required by me in mating it to the S54, LOL (sure was a grumpy tight fit though; the gun's rail actually has some minor damage from a previous owner's mounting one).

Here's ARH's old catalog blurbs; they offered custom Williams sights tailored for FWB and HW rifles, in addition to BSF. Note there are both sporting versions (with short elevation scale and flush screw adjusters) and target ones (tall elevation scale, knob adjusters). It's the target "833T" on mine.

1B40CC9A-A596-44EA-ABC6-E0A11AC67694.jpeg

D1C58CF8-FE43-4993-9417-E73DCF638469.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! What can I say that hasn't already been said above? A spectacular piece of air gun art created by true air gun artisans!

It occurs to me that anyone could pick that gun up and think "That's a cool gun" but few have the depth of knowledge you have to bestow the proper amount of appreciation on it that it deserves.

I think Ralphie (Rob_in_NC) above offered the best comment......when are you gonna write a book!?

Reactions: MDriskill
Is the "4707" stamped on the loading tap lever an actual serial number of the gun, or an assembly number to ensure the machined tapered loading tap pivot is matched to the machined breech hole taper during final assembly?
Is the oversized diopter iris with it's textured, non reflective surface an early counterpart to the later rubber boots sometimes used on modern diopter iris to reduce light reflections?
Beautiful airgun, looks new!
Thanks! As far as I can tell, 4707 is the actual full serial. The same 4 digits are on the receiver beneath the cocking lever. But BSF serials are generally rather mysterious, I don't know of anyone who has correllated them to manufacturing dates, etc.

The gangly eypiece is an old Gehmann iris with a 1.5x lens; it's made for the larger German eyepiece thread, so is mounted here in a small adapter grommet. There is no eyeshade at all on it.
D5E259FB-F4C0-4262-8239-44A432BC029E.jpeg

I also played with a classic Merit iris for a while. This has a simple adjustable opening only, and is threaded for US sights, so goes straight in with no adapter or anything. It does have a flat rubber eyeshade.
88F876FE-4051-45C9-A78E-5AEC6E1DBA49.jpeg

Last edited:
I see now that the sight base was made specifically for several models of air rifle, including the BSF.
Still inspirational, as it gives me an idea of yet another part to keep my eyes peeled for at the air gun shows.

Is that a small piece of brass shim stock visible under the front of the sight base? Good thinking from a finish preservation standpoint!

Is that a small piece of brass shim stock visible under the front of the sight base? Good thinking from a finish preservation standpoint!
Good eye! You are exactly right, I typically do this for this type of attachment.

Even though the sight is made for BSF's, it is a VERY tight fit. This gun actually has some minor damage to the back of the sight rail from one of these sights that was previously mounted - including a couple little divots from those grub screws.