• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brocock opinions

I have a Bantam in .22. If it's the same trigger, it's really a pretty good field trigger. Mine is set at 20 ounces, with about 7 or 8 at the first stage stop, so a squeeze of about 12 ounces to release, not bad. But no, totally different trigger from the Regal. I'm used to much lighter pull match triggers, so it took some time to become accustomed to it. Although a bit heavy, good quality release. I have killed a good many squirrels with it, and I can say that the trigger is totally adequate for hunting use. The rifle is very accurate. Since most of my rifles are heavier and with lighter triggers, it took me a while to learn how to shoot the Bantam. Basically, it has to be held relatively snugly compared to my others. The combination of less rifle weight and heavier trigger results in that requirement, and I should have caught on quicker. I expect if all were locked in a bench rest, it would shoot groups on par with my Red Wolf and Crown. 

I had a .22 S6 Countour (Compatto?) that I wasn't impressed with; low shot-count and flimsy bolt-action mechanism.

But a few months ago I picked up a .22 Bantam HiLite Beech (unregulated, but with Slingshot hammer-valve system that's GREAT), and am VERY impressed; enough that I shoot it more than any other airgun I own. That's saying a lot; volumes, matter of fact. 

1553280725_18487059045c952ed5b356c2.30709812_bro-bantamhl177b.png

My son also a shoots a Brocock Bantam and absolutely loves in. It's essentially just a Compatto with a bottle and much higher shot count! Ours is a .22, is super accurate, has a very high shot count and with an LDC is extremely quiet. It's also very comfortable for my son to carry around and shoot, he's only 9 years old. We got ours last year for $799 which is a bargain for such a great gun! Yeah, the trigger isn't as light as some other guns but certainly not bad by any means. Don't let that dissuade you, it's a great gun!

Stoti

1553290022_15961302975c9553268cf405.76166678_20180902_103442_resized.jpg

I own the Brocock Commander Hi-Lite in .22 which is essentially the same as the Bantam. The regulator is set at 150 PSI and I have ~5 power settings. The trigger pull is a little stiff for my liking but it is adjustable. I have the 480cc buddy bottle and average around ~80 shots one tick above the low power setting. The rifle is more accurate than I am. The magazine and magazine loading is exceptional. I have zero complaints about this rifle and the cocking lever is light enough that my daughters (13 & 11) can operate it as well as load the magazine. At 50 yards we're hitting small spinning targets without issue with the Crosman Premiers. Using the DonnyFL Koi moderator the only noise heard from 4' is the hammer and the pellet whizzing in the air.

I hope this helped.

I’ve got a bantam sniper HP magnum. I think the difference is the magnum has the long barrel like the red wolf HP not sure on that but it’s how the gun was invoiced from AOA.I was going to buy a red wolf HP and AOA sorta talked me into this brocock over the RW. 

You know it was a $1000 less money so on their advice I bought the gun.

I have a standard red wolf and it’s not as easy to cock and the trigger is heavier but it’s a real quality piece. Accuracy I haven’t had a chance to shoot it for groups. 

My guess is this gun is as good as or better then any thing in its price range.

Soon as the weather improves I’ll get to shooting some groups comparing my guns. 

I’m pretty partial to the Daystate guns but I have not owned an FX 

"I know you wanted a .22, but if a .25 would suffice you can get it for $699 here..."

Having studied it a LOT before buying, .22 caliber is the best match for the Bantam Hi-Lite and .25 may be the worst caliber for it. That's because the .25 doesn't use the Sling-Shot system (in exchange for power). 

"Easy to add a regulator too". If you get a .22 with Sling-Shot, absolutely no need for a reg. Dig this-

18.1 grain JSB, 230 BAR charge, 60 shot powerband- Low = 835, Hi = 862, E.S = 27, SD = 4, Average =852 FPS/29.0 Foot Pounds.

"I know you wanted a .22, but if a .25 would suffice you can get it for $699 here..."

Having studied it a LOT before buying, .22 caliber is the best match for the Bantam Hi-Lite and .25 may be the worst caliber for it. That's because the .25 doesn't use the Sling-Shot system (in exchange for power). 

"Easy to add a regulator too". If you get a .22 with Sling-Shot, absolutely no need for a reg. Dig this-

18.1 grain JSB, 230 BAR charge, 60 shot powerband- Low = 835, Hi = 862, E.S = 27, SD = 4, Average =852 FPS/29.0 Foot Pounds.

I bet you could almost DOUBLE that shot count with a regulator, and be within a 2% spread. Some minor tuning and you should be able to hit those #'s with 140bar, Using the air capacity of a 480cc tank from 230bar to 140 bar, getting 120 shots would be an efficiency of 1.33fpe/cuin. With that slingshot hammer this should be easily attainable. Now if you are a hand pumper then I can fully understand not wanting to pump twice as long.

BTB, My attraction to the SlingShot system had a lot to do with my having had reg-related problems with most of my regulated airguns in the last couple years, reaffirming my belief in the adage "Simplicity is the hallmark of good design." Three of the regulated ten-meter pistols required two round-trips for servicing, one of those is still away (six months now). 

Suffice to say I'm delighted with my Bantam Hi-Light, and very impressed with the SlingShot system. A field target rifle it isn't, but my TM1000 fills that role quite nicely... and now that I think about it, may be the only factory-regulated airgun I've owned that has proven utterly dependable. 

I do understand your point about hand-pumpers' need for huge shot-counts. But notwithstanding any (IF any) regulated airgun owners relying on a hand pump, and given my experiences with regulated guns, I'm happy to endure charging every 60 shots (from a tank) in exchange for dependability. 

FWIW, given the efficiency of the Slingshot system, I'd bet regulating my Hi-Lite wouldn't return over 30% more shots per charge (at the 29 FP power-level). But I'll probably never know because I wouldn't want to risk messin' up my good thang.

I'm now editing this post after searching the 'net for an answer to the shot-count question for a regulated .22 Bantam, and (finally) finding the answer. I'd have lost my bet that a regulator would return no more than 30% more shots at the 29 FP power-level, as one YouTube video shows a .22 Bantam Sniper (regulated) returning about 100 shots at the same power-level as my unregulated .22 Bantam Hi-Lite.

So I stand corrected, and am not one to dodge reality; even when it proves me WRONG!

BTB, My attraction to the SlingShot system had a lot to do with my having had reg-related problems with most of my regulated airguns in the last couple years, reaffirming my belief in the adage "Simplicity is the hallmark of good design." Three of the regulated ten-meter pistols required two round-trips for servicing, one of those is still away (six months now).

I not only completely understand this approach but I agree with it entirely -- I recently trashed a well functioning Gamo Urban attempting to install a Alteros regulator which resulted in catastrophic disaster. The thing I liked about https://www.huma-air.com/Brocock-Bantam-Pressure-Regulator was that you unscrew the buddy bottle (not an uncommon thing), screw the regulator in, and screw the buddy bottle in. You then have a regulated buddy bottle and if problems arise you simply remove it. I like the idea of the fill probe being on the bottle as well because my big 'ol grubby fingers have an issue removing the magnetic dust cover on the Commander; so much so that I've permanently removed it and place a silicone slip-on over the nipple instead.

To me the regulated bottle doesn't sound so much as perfection being the enemy of good enough. It looked to be pretty easy and "more gooder than good" :) That said, I have not tried it, so I cannot comment on any unforeseen issues that could/would arise. I also agree with your comments on the slingshot hammer.