• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brand New Disco Won't Charge ;- (

Tried two different hand pumps, do I need a tank to start it off ?...if so Oh good I get to spend another $500-700 on a tank , do I need to shoot it with a blast of CO2 and what adapter do I use... did the same guy that made my Benjamin Nitro Pistol make this gun ?

You can probably tell I'm a bit aggravated, I was really hoping to shoot it tomorrow ;- ( On a good note, the gun is absolutely perfect and I love the finish and the grain in the wood ;- )

wll

Just checking: Did you try cocking the gun before attempting to fill? In some cases, the hammer may be resting on the valve with an empty pressure tube and causing the valve to open ever so slightly. This in turn causes the air you are pumping into the gun to flow out of the valve and into the barrel and then, right back into the atmosphere. Apologies if you've already checked that.

"rcarlisle"Just checking: Did you try cocking the gun before attempting to fill? In some cases, the hammer may be resting on the valve with an empty pressure tube and causing the valve to open ever so slightly. This in turn causes the air you are pumping into the gun to flow out of the valve and into the barrel and then, right back into the atmosphere. Apologies if you've already checked that.
I tried filling cocked and uncocked ;- (

wll

Will, I just answered this on another forum. Hope there aren't two guns with the same issue but if it's not your, try this.

I have heard of it happening. The fill valve isn't closing because the hand pump is not able to put enough air in to the cylinder quick enough to make the fill valve close. Beg, borrow but don't steal a fill from another air gunner with a tank. Then try the hand pump. I bet that will fix your issue. Hope this helps.

"1kshooter"I am really sorry you and so many folks are having issues with brand new guns out of the box...I sure hope the manufactures keep putting quality first with the trending new higher demands!
Jonathan
Yes, I have bought two Benjamin guns lately and both look great, are just perfect on the outside but faulty on the inside ? The Nitro pistol if shot level will shoot gophers if you are lucky (it shoots very, very low, I fixed the problem by GREATLY raising the rear sight).

My new Disco is a beautiful gun, I was shocked how nice it looks, but won't charge ;- ) I'm sure it is the valve issue not getting enough pressure fast enough, but that is very, very annoying for a first time buyer of this gun. I will find a tank and charge it up, but like I said it is very annoying.

Will this stop me from buying another one if i find one on sale ..no, I don't think so as I have heard so many very good things about this gun and what it can do. besides that, it is truly a very simple mechanism and there is very little that can go wrong and i know it can be fixed.

I just wanted to shoot it before Christmas day.

wll

"GLPalinkas"Will, I just answered this on another forum. Hope there aren't two guns with the same issue but if it's not your, try this.

I have heard of it happening. The fill valve isn't closing because the hand pump is not able to put enough air in to the cylinder quick enough to make the fill valve close. Beg, borrow but don't steal a fill from another air gunner with a tank. Then try the hand pump. I bet that will fix your issue. Hope this helps.
Yes, That was me, I plastered my dilemma all over the place to see what other folks have experienced. I'll see if I can find some canned air somewhere !

Thank you for your help.

wll

"Jonah"If there is a paintball shop near you, have them hit the Discovery with a blast of air. If its the fill valve, will probably get it to seal under pressure. Paintball shop can fill the Discovery.
Nearest paint ball shop is 50+ miles away, tried two industrial air places today and they can't do it, have one more to try and rumor has it they can do it, but I will see ?

wll

After looking all over town, Sports Chalet had a scuba dept and they had the fittings for my tank. I'm taking two of my tanks to them next week to get them re-certified.

After some re-rigging of hoses I hooked up my Disco and started a slow and gradually increased the air flow. At first, on slow nothing happened and then I started to turn the flow up, soon as I did I heard a small click or pop near the gauge and she started filling, set her at about 1800psi and went out shooting.

She shot great and was almost sighted in right away, but it was to windy to nail her down. If we don't have wind I will sight her in with JSB 18.1 grainers and sight her in at 35 yds, I will probably be a mil dot high at ~50 yds.

I will do a two screw trigger mod and my TKO 5" moderator is coming too. (wanted a small moderator, to keep the rifle as short as possible). I will put in a little bit bigger "O" ring on the bolt plunger to cause more friction to stop the bolt from lifting on shooting.. I love the fact the gun is so light and has some serious power. I may put in a Rear Valve Adjuster, that is allen key adjustable so it is non visible from the outside, we will see. I will be buying some parts for this gun to play with and have as spares for sure.

I'm hoping to get 20+ good shots with the heavy pellets ? My sweet spot efficiency zone will probably be 1800 to about 1000 PSI She is sitting with ~1800+ in her now and she is uncocked ... In the last 4 hours or so she has not leaked, so I'm happy ... we will see what tomorrow morning brings.

wll

I replaced the Disco hammer spring with a lighter spring from ACE Hardware (don't remember the spring number). I have a area set up at 22 yards shooting targets from under dime size to silver dollar size. I easily get 25 good shots, can stretch it to 30 on the larger targets and really push it to 35 shots holding high on the targets. I used to fill only to 1800 but have started to fill to 2000 and shoot down to 1000. My velocity is in the 750 fps range by chrony. Would probably not get over 25 good shots if I only fill to 1800. Since I got an Omega compressor and a 4500 psi air tank, air is no longer a problem. I'm not trying to shoot one hole groups at 22 yards, just hit the dime to silver dollar size targets most of the time. If I miss, it was my fault and not the guns'. One hole target accuracy or plinking accuracy. For most of my shooting, its plinking accuracy.

"ajshoots"The new discos have a heavier hammer spring than the older ones. It probably won't get 20 shots. If it is shooting too hot with a lower shot count, just clip the spring a couple coils and see if that helps.
I will do that, tried to go out this am, but the temp was in the low 30's with ice on the ground and windy .. I froze part of my body off ;- )

wll

--"jonah",

I replaced the Disco hammer spring with a lighter spring from ACE Hardware (don’t remember the spring number). I have a area set up at 22 yards shooting targets from under dime size to silver dollar size. I easily get 25 good shots, can stretch it to 30 on the larger targets and really push it to 35 shots holding high on the targets. I used to fill only to 1800 but have started to fill to 2000 and shoot down to 1000. My velocity is in the 750 fps range by chrony. Would probably not get over 25 good shots if I only fill to 1800. Since I got an Omega compressor and a 4500 psi air tank, air is no longer a problem. I’m not trying to shoot one hole groups at 22 yards, just hit the dime to silver dollar size targets most of the time. If I miss, it was my fault and not the guns’. One hole target accuracy or plinking accuracy. For most of my shooting, its plinking accuracy.
What pellet are you using ? I would love to get 20-25 good shots using JSB 18.1gr Exact Jumbo Heavy's at around 750fps with very little modification work

wll

"wll"
--"jonah",

I replaced the Disco hammer spring with a lighter spring from ACE Hardware (don’t remember the spring number). I have a area set up at 22 yards shooting targets from under dime size to silver dollar size. I easily get 25 good shots, can stretch it to 30 on the larger targets and really push it to 35 shots holding high on the targets. I used to fill only to 1800 but have started to fill to 2000 and shoot down to 1000. My velocity is in the 750 fps range by chrony. Would probably not get over 25 good shots if I only fill to 1800. Since I got an Omega compressor and a 4500 psi air tank, air is no longer a problem. I’m not trying to shoot one hole groups at 22 yards, just hit the dime to silver dollar size targets most of the time. If I miss, it was my fault and not the guns’. One hole target accuracy or plinking accuracy. For most of my shooting, its plinking accuracy.
What pellet are you using ? I would love to get 20-25 good shots using JSB 18.1gr Exact Jumbo Heavy's at around 750fps with very little modification work

wll

That should be doable but more like 20 shots. I'm getting 30 shots at 19.5 FPE with Air Arms 13.43 pellets (Challenger RVA with it screwed out for Field Target limits) Originally, I was right around 23-24 FPE with CPHP 14.3.

"GLPalinkas"
"wll"
--"jonah",

wll

That should be doable but more like 20 shots. I'm getting 30 shots at 19.5 FPE with Air Arms 13.43 pellets (Challenger RVA with it screwed out for Field Target limits) Originally, I was right around 23-24 FPE with CPHP 14.3.
Went out again, and then came right home, way to windy and cold today in the high desert ! I really want to see how this gun shoots heavy pellets. can't shoot it in my backyard as the neighbors would call the cops, wish my TKO was here !

wll