• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bountys?

I was just wondering if there is any bounty on some animals in your country/state?

Here in Norway I do believe its something like this;

Crows = 50 Nok ca 5$
Raven = 50 Nok ca 5$
Red fox = 300 Nok ca 30$
Mink = 200 Nok ca 20$
Marten = 200 Nok ca 20$
Racoon = 200 Nok ca 20$
And alot of other animals depending on area, bounty can also vary from city to city.

It covers the ammo / trap, and is a nice incentive for hunters and trappers to control the species, all of the animals are protected in mating season and 2-3 first months when they are raising the little ones. Except raccoons they are considered a unwanted species and are shoot on sight.

Yes. Our county offered a bounty on beaver. $25 U.S. Dollars per tail delivered. Georgia. 
And I believe Florida has a bounty on pythons. Snakes not indigenous to the Everglades with an added incentive for the largest one collected. Floridians correct me if I'm wrong. Heard it on our news. 
We also have several counties with Rattlesnake round up events to reduce that population. 
Farmers can also get whitetail deer permits to shoot deer ruining their crops. 
Under most circumstances, deer harvest during legal hunting seasons should adequately reduce deer populations. However, in some instances special permits may be issued to commercial farmers to allow removal of nuisance antlerless deer outside of the open hunting season. These permits can only be issued to growers having a 3-acre minimum of commercial crops. Crop damage permits to remove a specific number of antlerless deer are obtained from the DNR Game Management Section (see page 1). A field assessment of damage by wildlife biologists or technicians may be required.

Funny you should mention Canadian Geese. The organization, which is now know as Ducks Unlimited, is directly responsible for the over-population of Canadian Geese. They've become a scourge at most airports, parks, golf courses, and other open areas. And I'm with anyone who wants to put a bounty on their head! And yes, I will shoot one, season or no season, when and where I can. 

I live in Michigan, USA and there are no bounties. There haven't been any since the 1970`s when coyotes were $15 for males and $20 for females. There is not an official bounty but sometimes counties will pay trappers for removing problem beaver. Canada geese can be a problem, mostly for water front landowners but they are dealt with here by a liberal season to reduce there numbers.

​Mink, marten, raccoon and fox are considered furbearers so have seasons depending on which part of the state you are in. Ravens are protected but crows have a season or can be shoot if doing damage.

​You guys here in the states, don`t resent the Canada goose numbers being so high. There was a time they were not. I for one would rather have an abundance and the liberal bag limits. 

Well, so are ducks, terns, humming birds, and dozens of others. However, geese in general (especially Canadian geese) can and do become endemic. As noted, some stay 365 within a small area where there is ample food (people see to that), water, and nesting habitat. Colorado (where I used to live) have banded and collared enough Canadian geese to collaborate their endemic nature. They'll also attack you if you get too close to their nests. And if you're a golfer, and your favorite course is infected with them, be careful!

And while we're on the migratory bird issue.... Crows are federally listed, and technically you're supposed to have fed bird stamp to hunt them. Yet, just about every varmint hunter I know, shoots them even when they're not being a pest farmers and others. The same treatment goes for house sparrows, but here too, they have become endemic. 

Personally, I think the fed should rethink some of their idiot laws with respect to trans-endemic species. 

"StormSunny"In Poland for killing a crow you can get not 5 bucks but 5 years in prison. What do you think about that?
What is the reason for the penalty? Are they wanting to increase the numbers? We can't shoot Bald Eagles, but its ok since they kind of taste like a cross between a spotted Owl and a pileated woodpecker. : ) Haha!

Funny about the bountys , Makes me think about my Grandpa, He would stop on fresh road kills skin them and make 100 to 300 per night , one raccoon, one fox one badger,
and so on , Did not take much,
Now this was back in the 70s lived in Graham Texas and was 75 % Indian,
He did pick up beer cans and stuff but only made 10 bucks or so on the metal sale.
He did not so much as need the money it was just in the road for the taking.
Mike

Ground Hogs along the levy system along the Mississippi River was a bounty of Fifty Cents per tail paid by the Army Corp of Engineers. The Ground Hogs were damaging the levy with their burrows. Took a hunting license, permit and was restricted to a specific Levy. But at times the levy you hunted were 25 miles in length or more. Varmints...This was prior to and soon after the 100 year flood of 1993. Small caliber rifles no larger than a 22, but included the anything in 22 such as the 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, etc.
I have not ridden the levy system in quite some time but had some great summers providing this service to the Army Corp of Engineers.

Bounty's were proven ineffective nearly 4 decades ago. Bounty hunters would often let the females go to keep the supply of bounty animals plentiful.

Glad to see the Canadian corrected to Canada. Yep, federal offense to kill migratory birds illegally. If you take them across state lines another $10,000 for violation of the Lacey Act.

The Canada that most abhor are the resident or "maxima" subspecies. Once thought extinct. "Goose For You Too" programs in the 1970's by State FW agencies and cooperative landowners brought them back.

I know some of us refer to them as "Sky Carp" but I for one am very glad they have been restored to abundance. Most of the problem areas are a result of two things: No hunting and illegal feeding by well-meaning but poorly informed folks.